Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 06:19 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,150 times

Advertisements

Jimmy Carter: George Zimmerman jury

Finally a voice of reason. The Law stinks the way it is written but he understands the Jury had to come up with the verdict they did.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:45 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,247,343 times
Reading the article, I'm reminded of a thought I had a while back. That maybe the prosecutor intentionally set the bar too high. He knew all the evidence pointed to self defense (Martin was bigger and stronger than Zimmerman; Martin was pissed off at the world with multiple suspensions while Z was just trying to protect his neighborhood; Martin was racist ["creepy *ss cracker"] while all evidence said Z was not; Z spent the time on the phone with the police telling them what he was doing and why; and according to *both* witnesses [Janteal and Z] Martin attacked first), but massive political pressure forced him to press charges or lose his job.

But in a smart move, instead of presenting a case he had a chance of winning (manslaughter, or maybe negligent homicide), he shot the moon with a losing hand. Afterwards he could say to the media, "I did what you demanded", knowing he never had a chance of winning.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:50 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Jimmy Carter: George Zimmerman jury

Finally a voice of reason. The Law stinks the way it is written but he understands the Jury had to come up with the verdict they did.
I'd say a very fair, impartial assessment of the situation.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:54 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd say a very fair, impartial assessment of the situation.
yes, he took the emotion out of the situation to properly evaluate.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:16 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
An interesting read.

I did not keep up with the trial (which, since I was not on the jury, or in the actual courtroom, would have entailed reading newspaper accounts, which can be inaccurate, to say the least).

However, when all was said and done, I was not too surprised. After all, the original DA refused to file any charges against Zimmerman, probably due his suspecting that it could not be proven 'beyond a reasonable doubt' of Zimmerman's guilt (whether of murder or manslaughter). DA's love 'high profile' cases that prove that they are 'law and order' and hence would make a good governor. On the flip side, they do not want to lose a high profile case.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:27 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
[QUOTE]“I think the jury made the right decision based on the evidence presented,
because the prosecution inadvertently set the standard so high that the jury had
to be convinced that it was a deliberate act by Zimmerman that he was not at
all defending himself, and so forth,”[/
QUOTE]

Nailed it, Jimmie.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:52 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,067,889 times
I do not believe the prosecution "inadvertently" set the bar too high. I believe it was in reaction to political pressure of the race merchants last year. As is the current foment. Nothing short of the word 'murder' in the charge(s) would have satisfied those who derive their power, not to mention their income, from stirring the pot.
As for TM's parents and others who were taken in and used by Sharpton and others; well, they were used, for his and other's purposes. Simple as that. The naive always get used by those who rely on an army of the idealistic, misinformed, ill informed and downtrodden, to advance their greed.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:56 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
I actually think they may have hoped to intice a plea bargain as they knew they had no way of getting a conviction under Florida law for even manslaughter.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:01 AM

17,804 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
As for TM's parents and others who were taken in and used by Sharpton and others; well, they were used, for his and other's purposes. Simple as that. The naive always get used by those who rely on an army of the idealistic, misinformed, ill informed and downtrodden, to advance their greed.
I suppose if your son died in the fashion that Travon Martin's did you would just say "he got what he deserved."

This is just another "blacks are to naive to understand," statement. Meanwhile blacks feel they understand all too well.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:05 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
While I generally agree with Pres. Carter, he takes the easy way out by attributing this as if some sort of mistake by the prosecution who "inadvertantly" set the bar too high.

The prosecution was under clear political pressure to try a case that was a huge longshot to produce a conviction.

Carter ducks the issue by not mentioning the political pressure that can come to bear in prosecution cases. We have had a number of high profile political cases produce false convictions....like the central park jogger attack and a number of later vindications of death row inmates via project innocence and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies