Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 06:08 PM

45,233 posts, read 26,457,645 times

Advertisements

Using the carbon footprint scam to nudge dietary changes. Never mind it isn't a valid role of government, but does anyone really look to the government for their diet planning?
And speaking of carbon footprints, the US Federal Government has the largest one in the history of planet, what with air conditioning tents in the middle east, global troop movements, diplomatic puddle jumping, dropping bombs, maintaining an empire and all that, so there really no need to heed anything it tells us in this regard.

The meat industry’s worst nightmare could soon become a reality - The Washington Post

Quote:
The U.S. Department of Agriculture is preparing to release the latest version of the government's influential dietary guidelines this year, and there could be a major change that accelerates the trend of Americans eating less meat.

The guidelines, which are updated every five years, have traditionally advised Americans about healthy eating choices, eating choices which, until now, have only reflected what the government views as a diet that is healthy for humans. But the panel that advises the government is pushing for the recommendations to reflect what is healthy for the environment, too. Given the huge carbon footprint of meat production, making this change would almost certainly entail lowering the official, government-recommended intake of meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 06:10 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Using the carbon footprint scam to nudge dietary changes. Never mind it isn't a valid role of government, but does anyone really look to the government for their diet planning?
And speaking of carbon footprints, the US Federal Government has the largest one in the history of planet, what with air conditioning tents in the middle east, global troop movements, diplomatic puddle jumping, dropping bombs, maintaining an empire and all that, so there really no need to heed anything it tells us in this regard.

The meat industry’s worst nightmare could soon become a reality - The Washington Post
I'm not sure what the USDA has to do with the Department of Defense except that they are separate parts of the same government. The USDA certainly has no control over the DoD, and in fact, it would seem far more likely that the DoD would have some control over the USDA.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:10 PM

293 posts, read 317,243 times
It's true but I really do not give a crap. I just try to eat more white meat.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Well with the rising cost of beef and our desire to export more I can see how this can be a useful "guideline".
And then they can even change how CPI is calculated and remove/reduce meat from the calculation.

Lots of countries are demanding our beef. We set a new all time export record last year.

It will not change the carbon footprint of meat production one iota.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
I'm not sure what the USDA has to do with the Department of Defense except that they are separate parts of the same government. The USDA certainly has no control over the DoD, and in fact, it would seem far more likely that the DoD would have some control over the USDA.
They are both part and parcel of the same cabal that is using climate change hysterics to further control us.
Of course the huge crush you have on all things government has created a blind spot that wont let you connect the dots.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
They are both part and parcel of the same cabal that is using climate change hysterics to further control us.
Of course the huge crush you have on all things government has created a blind spot that wont let you connect the dots.
Climate change is happening to some extent. Please take off your tin foil hat. If anything the big companies are funding pseudo science theories of how climate change does not exist so their profits won't be impacted.

You very well be could be the controlled one.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:17 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,286 times
Quote:
Actually, I don't think the DoD has much to do with pushing climate change one way or the other. Nobody would disagree if you were to say that fighting wars is unfriendly towards the environment. Basically, I'm saying that the USDA does what it does and the DoD does what it does and the two have little to do with each other except when the POTUS meets with his entire cabinet for a photo op and the heads of each department happen to be in the same room at the same time. Other than that, besides low-level procurement of food for the armed forces, there really isn't much that connects them.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post
Climate change is happening to some extent. Please take off your tin foil hat. If anything the big companies are funding pseudo science theories of how climate change does not exist so their profits won't be impacted.

You very well be could be the controlled one.
Maybe maybe not, where did I indicate it isn't happening? The scam is in believing that a few wise men in DC can control the climate by taxing us more
Tin foil looks good on you.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Maybe maybe not, where did I indicate it isn't happening? The scam is in believing that a few wise men in DC can control the climate by taxing us more
Tin foil looks good on you.
I'll have you know sir, that I wear the finest Alpaca wool.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Actually, I don't think the DoD has much to do with pushing climate change one way or the other. Nobody would disagree if you were to say that fighting wars is unfriendly towards the environment. Basically, I'm saying that the USDA does what it does and the DoD does what it does and the two have little to do with each other except when the POTUS meets with his entire cabinet for a photo op and the heads of each department happen to be in the same room at the same time. Other than that, besides low-level procurement of food for the armed forces, there really isn't much that connects them.
The point is hovering just over your head like a drone.
The us fed guv (of which the dod is part and parcel of) is trying to dictate our choices by invoking the carbon footprint mantra. Its dod is one of the largest contributors of said footprint.
If you don't see the hypocrisy in that, well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies