Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 11:57 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
"While I have never denied my sexuality, I haven't publicly acknowledged it either, until now," writes Cook. "So let me be clear: I'm proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me."
Cook says he's been open with others about being gay, but felt compelled to publicly come out to help others. "I don't consider myself an activist, but I realize how much I've benefited from the sacrifice of others," writes Cook. "So if hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it's worth the trade-off with my own privacy."

Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I'm proud to be gay'

The tide of public opinion and laws in this country has already turned in favor of gay marriage. Maybe Cook's coming-out can help turn the tide more decisively against workplace discrimination, too. As Cook noted, it's bad for business.

Your thoughts?
Live and let live. Its a free country. Marriage shouldn't be recognized by the federal government at any rate, IMO.

I do hope it stops work place discrimination.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:18 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
"While I have never denied my sexuality, I haven't publicly acknowledged it either, until now," writes Cook. "So let me be clear: I'm proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me."
Cook says he's been open with others about being gay, but felt compelled to publicly come out to help others. "I don't consider myself an activist, but I realize how much I've benefited from the sacrifice of others," writes Cook. "So if hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it's worth the trade-off with my own privacy."

The tide of public opinion and laws in this country has already turned in favor of gay marriage. Maybe Cook's coming-out can help turn the tide more decisively against workplace discrimination, too. As Cook noted, it's bad for business.

Your thoughts?
Doesn't matter as long as the shareholders of Apple continue to make tons and tons of money...He could declare himself the re-incarnate hybrid of Ronald Reagan and Tim Tebow....make money in the USA, all is well..

Old 10-30-2014, 12:21 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
"So let me be clear: I'm proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me."
Your thoughts?
Being proud to be gay? Proud to be straight or black or white for that matter. What is there to be proud of? You have no control over those things so why would you be proud

Old 10-30-2014, 12:24 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Being proud to be gay? Proud to be straight or black or white for that matter. What is there to be proud of? You have no control over those things so why would you be proud
There aren't to many people who bash straight people for being straight. There is a lot of bashing when someone thinks you're a homosexual. There is reason to be proud of who you are, I think his statement has meaning in todays world. Hopefully it will mean far less in 20 years.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:25 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Well, I tend to agree with this. Much like nationalism/patriotism... it's pretty idiotic. 'I'm so glad other people had I sex and I was made here and born here and I love it even though I had nothing to do with it.'

That said, homosexuals have been discriminated against on the basis of irrational belief for centuries. Being open and 'proud' of it is fine by me because I don't really think it about pride in their sexuality but more their ability to be open about it. And given the backwards world they were born into, that's a sign of confidence which is something individuals build overtime; and one should be proud of their confidence.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:26 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
I'm proud to be a normal straight person. I consider it to be a gift from God.

Thank you.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:37 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
LOL!!! They may say they are Christians. It is not possible to be Christian, and continue in a sin. Do we all sin? Yes. But to continue in a sin, knowingly and unapologetically, and as a habit of your life, shows lack of commitment. Jesus told the prostitute to "go, and sin no more."
Get over it. Thinking people, including the Episcopalian Church, disagree with you. Episcopalians, as I recall, also allow female clergy. I guess that makes them double the devil, in your eyes.

Let me guess. You are a fundamentalist of one kind or another. Do you even know any gay people? Ever worked with gays? I'm pretty sure you have rubbed elbows with gays. You just didnt know it.

God does not hate. People hate. God'd message is love.

Plenty of Christians, with love in their hearts, embrace gays in their congregations. Sorry there is no love in your heart.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:39 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:

Your thoughts?

One is not (nor should they be) defined by thier sexuality. He sounds like an idiot.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:46 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I'm proud to be straight. When is my press conference?
When you become CEO of one of the most valuable corporations on the planet.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:49 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
One is not (nor should they be) defined by thier sexuality. He sounds like an idiot.
And yet, he has proven through his skill and hard work to be far more influential and successful than you. So who's the idiot now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies