Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,422,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am surely no apologist for Bush, either. I truly am concerned how "off the rails" we are, as an earlier poster put it. The international damage is huge - as one can see from this thread.

Add to that my fear of "an inside job" and then the economy - trade deficit - and the plunging dollar. As a boomer, I also worry about what impact retiring boomers will have on our burgeoning national debt . . . it is all very worrisome.

Sadly, I have researched all the candidates and don't see anyone I can get excited about. All this mess has so upset me, a lifelong republican, that i have switched my affiliation to libertarian. I am disgusted w/ both parties.
If enough of us were, then a third party that's responsive to the PUBLIC instead of the multinational corporations may have a chance to make an impact. Right now, it's only wishful thinking.

Quote:
I said earlier that America has come to the aid of other countries . . . but I really wonder if anyone will be interested in coming to our aid, should that time come. And what does it mean when Dubai and China are picking up our debt . . . as well as buying major chunks of our manufacturing sector?
It means our political "leaders" are serving someone other than America.

Quote:
Are Americans delusional? I don't think so!!! Baffled, maybe.
Not even baffled. Just being exploited by a political system that has mutated into an ugly, self-serving caricature of what it once was. I have serious doubts that the two-party system will provide a solution. Both parties seem to have become opposite sides of the same coin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 09:00 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,607,678 times
Anifani and Old Gringo--

I, too, many years ago changed party affilitation, and now Independent. And yes, the two parties have morphed into blurred entities, serving those "others", NOT us! They are self serving first, then corporate serving, then international a*s kissers, makes one want to puke doesn't it?? So I say, if I vote, it will be once again for who I deem the "lesser of two evils", though that is even becoming harder to detect than ever. A real crap shoot, eh?

Old 01-01-2008, 09:26 PM

9,877 posts, read 10,788,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck9 View Post
why do americans believe they are the greatest country in the world?. they dont even crack the top 15 in any kind of rating that matters. maybe its the 12000 murders a year. maybe its because the government sends young people to die to enforce the will of the corporations. maybe its the healthcare. you peolpe need to come out of your media induced coma and wake up because your country is in serious trouble. stop believing its your god given right to rule the world. ever think of why people attack you?. canada is very similar and no one attacks us. there is a whole side of the story that your not being told . its not religious fanatisism its that people in t
those countries don want to be occupied and exploited, can you blame them?
remember the british? when you drove them out what did you call yourselves? terrorists? insurgents?. remember one mans terrorist is another mans partriot. change your foreign policy this war on terror can never be won.
I"ll make it real simple for you! which country are people from all over the world literally dying to get into ? Canada? When people vote with their feet America is the hands down winner! Big time! God Bless The U.S.A

Old 01-01-2008, 09:28 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,552,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I
As for illegal immigration . . . if this country is so horrible, why are people streaming over our borders? (And if we are so heinous, why don't we just shoot them when they try to sneak in?)

Yeah, we are delusional here. That is why we got into WWI and then WWII .
people from Mexico and all over Cent. America into S.A. and the Caribbean (yes those immigrants aren't just all Mexicans) do not sit at home reading their copy of the US Constitution and say "america is a swell country, think I'll go there" they come here simply because they mostly and unfort. live in the 3rd world. Most do not come here to become citizens or even stay for their whole lives. Most come for a few years, send as much money back home as possible and then leave - having not paid taxes, leached from our health care and lowballed wages for hard working americans. In fact, so much money is sent home yearly to L.A. that El Salvador actually changed their currency to the American dollar. If we had another Canada bordering us to the south we would NOT have this problem with immigrants. Make no illusions about that fact that so many are coming to America. It's the geography.

we got into the world wars so we could become a superpower. the us dollar was not the number one currency in the world before WW2. We got alot out of it.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I"ll make it real simple for you! which country are people from all over the world literally dying to get into ? Canada? When people vote with their feet America is the hands down winner! Big time! God Bless The U.S.A

see post #95 above, it's real simple.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:36 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,328,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
people from Mexico and all over Cent. America into S.A. and the Caribbean (yes those immigrants aren't just all Mexicans) do not sit at home reading their copy of the US Constitution and say "america is a swell country, think I'll go there" they come here simply because they mostly and unfort. live in the 3rd world. Most do not come here to become citizens or even stay for their whole lives. Most come for a few years, send as much money back home as possible and then leave - having not paid taxes, leached from our health care and lowballed wages for hard working americans. In fact, so much money is sent home yearly to L.A. that El Salvador actually changed their currency to the American dollar. If we had another Canada bordering us to the south we would NOT have this problem with immigrants. Make no illusions about that fact that so many are coming to America. It's the geography.

we got into the world wars so we could become a superpower. the us dollar was not the number one currency in the world before WW2. We got alot out of it.
FACT remains, however, that a LOT more Canadians immigrate to the US that Americans to Canada every year. Given the population imbalance, that does say something. Maybe Canada is simply shipping off its conservative leaning population to the US, so that it, like Mexico, dumps its "problems" on the United States.

But thanks for re-iterating my very point of what distinguishes immigrants of yesteryear from immigrants of today. Perhaps you can take it over to the immigration forum to remind them over there.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
thanks for re-iterating my very point of what distinguishes immigrants of yesteryear from immigrants of today. Perhaps you can take it over to the immigration forum to remind them over there.
not quite sure what your referring to, I assume you're playing the race card by saying others don't want "todays" immigrants here b/c they're mostly latinos, well at least immigrants of yesteryear came here legally and didn't have a devistating effect on the economy like they are now. And don't tell me they contribute to the economy doing jobs noone else wants, pay an American a living wage and he'll do the job. I actually blame business owners more than the immigrants in that regard.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
not quite sure what your referring to, I assume you're playing the race card by saying others don't want "todays" immigrants here b/c they're mostly latinos, well at least immigrants of yesteryear came here legally and didn't have a devistating effect on the economy like they are now. And don't tell me they contribute to the economy doing jobs noone else wants, pay an American a living wage and he'll do the job. I actually blame business owners more than the immigrants in that regard.
I've said no such thing. Read again.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
FACT remains, however, that a LOT more Canadians immigrate to the US that Americans to Canada every year. Given the population imbalance, that does say something.
actually we just have alot more big companies here due to a much larger economy, so of couse they'd be more likely to come here.

also they're far more comfortable with the idea of coming to the us since they get our culture , network tv stations, movies , sports , news media etc. Plus we have the better weather overall, ever vacation in FLA? I see Ont. plates everywhere I go.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
actually we just have alot more big companies here due to a much larger economy, so of couse they'd be more likely to come here.

also they're far more comfortable with the idea of coming to the us since they get our culture , network tv stations, movies , sports , news media etc. Plus we have the better weather overall, ever vacation in FLA? I see Ont. plates everywhere I go.

One would expect, however, that if Canada was God's paradise, that there would be mass drainage of Americans to Canada, where business would FOLLOW. Business always follows the action.

And, I LIVE in Florida, and am well aware of the "Canadian presence" in this state. Where I live is almost "ground zero" for vacationing and snow-bird Canadians. Most are very friendly and just like Americans, except that they're more apt to wear speedos and go in the water in the middle of January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies