Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 07:15 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,370,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Many of those countries that spend very little on their militaries are only able to do so because of how we spend on the American military. What do you think kept the Soviet Union from overrunning Europe during the Cold War? Here's a hint...it wasn't the intimidating French Army...
The French have actually been spending more on the military than most. More than the UK, more than Germany, more than Italy, more than Spain. In fact, more than anybody after the US, Russia, and China. But Americans really need not worry about being outspent. The US devotes about 20% more than the entire rest of the world combined to military expenditures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 07:22 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,673,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The French have actually been spending more on the military than most. More than the UK, more than Germany, more than Italy, more than Spain. In fact, more than anybody after the US, Russia, and China. But Americans really need not worry about being outspent. The US devotes about 20% more than the entire rest of the world combined to military expenditures.
I know I'll get blasted but I can't resist
Q) Why are all the roads in France lined with trees????
A) SO the Germans can march in the shade!!!!

Q) Why did they stop the fireworks a Euro Disney?
A) Because the French Army thought they were under attack and droped
the rifles.

OHHH I'm a baaaaddd putty tat !!!!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:25 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,530,043 times
Military spending in an economy is like cocaine to an individual. It feels great for a while and is extremely addictive. Like all addictions the level of economic stimulation or hits of dope must be continuously increased to provide the same elation for the user. We have been addicted to military spending for too long and it is finally destroying our civilian economy.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:29 AM

The French Army may have been very poorly led and used in the wrong places, but do not disparage their skill or courage.

Viva le Vie,
Viva le Garre,
Vive le Legionnaire!

The same applies to ours.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:30 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,119,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Military spending in an economy is like cocaine to an individual. It feels great for a while and is extremely addictive. Like all addictions the level of economic stimulation or hits of dope must be continuously increased to provide the same elation for the user. We have been addicted to military spending for too long and it is finally destroying our civilian economy.
So, your suggestion would be that we eliminate military spending? Do away with our military?

Old 01-10-2008, 08:22 AM

Not do away with our military completely but reduce it to defending our country and not the international investors that are bankrupting us. If Wall Street investors want to obtain the profits of overseas investment let them take the risk. I am tired of spending my money and our servicemen’s lives keeping their profits high. I am tired of having the investors reap the benefit and the most of us loose our future and some of us loose our lives.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:23 AM

Accidental double post. Deleted by me.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:33 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,735,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I know I'll get blasted but I can't resist
Q) Why are all the roads in France lined with trees????
A) SO the Germans can march in the shade!!!!

Q) Why did they stop the fireworks a Euro Disney?
A) Because the French Army thought they were under attack and droped
the rifles.

OHHH I'm a baaaaddd putty tat !!!!
I just wonder how long Americans are going to pat themselves in the back for something they did move than 60 years ago. What is the shelf life a victory in battle?

Also, we shouldn't underestimate that Europe was embroiled in war for YEARS before we got involved, and their domestic economies were effected much more directly (due to bombs coming down in their cities) than ours.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:50 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,673,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I just wonder how long Americans are going to pat themselves in the back for something they did move than 60 years ago. What is the shelf life a victory in battle?

Also, we shouldn't underestimate that Europe was embroiled in war for YEARS before we got involved, and their domestic economies were effected much more directly (due to bombs coming down in their cities) than ours.
60 years ago Maybe we should have let the commies take Europe????......And don't even say that was a NATO thing! The USA is the big stick behind NATO

Old 01-10-2008, 10:54 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,119,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Not do away with our military completely but reduce it to defending our country and not the international investors that are bankrupting us. If Wall Street investors want to obtain the profits of overseas investment let them take the risk. I am tired of spending my money and our servicemen’s lives keeping their profits high. I am tired of having the investors reap the benefit and the most of us loose our future and some of us loose our lives.
Greg, IMO, your opinion of what our military does is totally skewed -

One example might be the peace keeping missions our military may participate in (and rightfully should in some cases) - it has nothing to do with Wall Street.

Our Allies being invaded by another country - do we ignore our friends? An analogy might be, if your neighbor asked you for help, would you refuse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies