Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:17 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,607,678 times

Advertisements

Trying to give you rep points again, anifani, but got to spread them around.... very good and poignant post, you are very polite, unlike me!!

Now, now, skoro, no getting your knickers in a twist. My only fear is heights, obtained in my old age. So please don't dangle me over the edge....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 04:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,210,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Trying to give you rep points again, anifani, but got to spread them around.... very good and poignant post, you are very polite, unlike me!!

Now, now, skoro, no getting your knickers in a twist. My only fear is heights, obtained in my old age. So please don't dangle me over the edge....
Thanx for the attempt, Lilypad! LOL!!!

If someone tries to put you over the ledge, I will try to grab for you - creaky joints and all, LOL!!!!

I am not that polite. I tried to find the music from Southpark and upload it to the post - you know the song? "Blame Canada."

And I wish I could claim Vet's status, but I can't. Husband was a directly commissioned officer in medical services corps. Does that count - you know - by proxy. . . sorta???

Old 01-01-2008, 04:35 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,607,678 times
Seems you should get some kind of compensation. Have you checked into it? Is your husband still with us??

Old 01-01-2008, 04:40 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,626,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
A "scam?" Do you mean we were not attacked on our own soil on 9/11?
America was attacked. That is a fact. The "war on terror" is just a phrase which the media adopted. It is sensationalism and a political spin. The phrase is general yet a particular group is said to be targeted. People are influenced by simple verbal shortcuts. Dig deeper. Do not accept it at face value. You need to understand the history of American involvement and interests in certain parts of the world. Blunt military problems will not solve the problem. America need a sustainable foreign policy. It cannot be won in the conventional sense because the Salafists and Wahhabists are groups of people. Furthermore, these groups are mainly in Egypt and Saudi Arabia. They were not in Iraq or Afghanistan (although the Wahhabi sect of Saudi Arabia had a great influence on the Taliban). Many service men and women have died for nothing in Iraq and Afghanistan. I feel sad for their families.

Let us assume there is an organised group of terrorists who want to attack us because they hate our way of life which I do not think what this is all about. The phrase "war on terror" can only strengthen them. They would feel they are part of something greater.

Quote:
And why did many Democrats in Congress approve of it?
The main difference in American foreign policy is between hardline neo-conservatives serving their own interests and others. Lieberman is a Democrat but also a neo-conservative and a Zionist. It is clear.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:43 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,328,662 times
What a waste of time, really. I know I'm going to regret this but.....

I can and do criticize my country and government often, but I draw a line in the sand at tired out and unoriginal Canadian screed, probably written by a freshman in college. I know I SHOULDN'T allow myself to get angry, knowing that Canadian culture is typically defined by delineating ways they "aren't American," and you're probably just doing what comes natural, but I just can't help it.

Look fella, you simply cannot compare the United States, with a population of 300 million OFFICIAL people, and probably another 20 million or so on top of that undocumented, to Canada, with its 30 million people. In other words, you're not even in the same ballpark as the US, so stop trying to compare and contrast. I know it's cold up there right now, but find a new hobby.

We have an infinitely more raucous and conflicted political scene and history than you, and we'd appreciate it if you would just continue to remain quiet, supply us with oil and wood, and thank your lucky stars that you enjoy the benefit of sharing a border with the largest economy on earth.

As for things like "slavery," be happy that cash crops essential to Britain, like tobacco and cotton, can't be grown in the harsh climate of Canada, otherwise you too would have inherited slavery.

It always amazes that people who fancy themselves as smart or enlightened have a pretty short sighted view of history and "the big picture!"

Old 01-01-2008, 04:53 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,422,751 times
Question Some simple but revealing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
A "scam?" Do you mean we were not attacked on our own soil on 9/11?
Quiz time: how many of the nineteen 9/11 hijackers were from Iraq? Saudi Arabia? UAE? (remember - the country Bush wanted to sell our port security to a couple of years ago?)

Quote:
And why did many Democrats in Congress approve of it?
They were fed the same lies the American public got.

Quiz answers:

Iraq = 0
Saudi Arabia = 15
UAE = 2

Old 01-01-2008, 04:55 PM

132 posts, read 244,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
..........the only thing Americans have possibly been delusional about is that when we come to the defense of other nations - that they will appreciate our efforts.....
Well........ not really !
The delusion is that when the USA attempts to impose its will around the globe, killing MILLIONS in the process, they are springing to the "defence" of other nations.
It seems that this lie must be taught in American schools to be so ingrained.

Can you name ONE SINGLE DAY in the last half century in which the U.S. did NOT have troops off killing people SOMEWHERE on this planet ?
Mainly innocent civilians, men, women, children, old folk, babies - who posed not the remotest possible threat to the USA.
From Vietnam to Central America to the Middle East and all points in between.
Remember to include the carnage caused by the tyrants and mass murderers whom the U.S. has supported - the Shah in Iran, Pinochet in Chile even Saddam in Iraq for decades.

Almost 1000 military bases around the world and a huge fleet of warships constantly prowling - all for the defence of others.
Yeah RIGHT !

Old 01-01-2008, 05:01 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,328,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Freda View Post
The delusion is that when the USA attempts to impose its will around the globe, killing MILLIONS in the process, they are springing to the "defence" of other nations.

Can you name ONE SINGLE DAY in the last half century in which the U.S. did NOT have troops off killing people SOMEWHERE on this planet ?
Mainly innocent civilians, men, women, children, old folk, babies - who posed not the remotest possible threat to the USA.
Remember to include the carnage caused by the tyrants and mass murderers whom the U.S. has supported - the Shah in Iran, Pinochet in Chile even Saddam in Iraq for decades.

Almost 1000 military bases around the world and a huge fleet of warships constantly prowling - all for the defence of others.
Yeah RIGHT !

Those that can, do, those that cannot (like Canada and Australia), have others do their dirty work for them.

Citizens of the "polite" Western nations have ALWAYS relied on the United States (and Britain) to do its dirty work. Most everything the United States has done or does is with implicit or explicit approval and knowledge of other Western nations.

What is DELUSIONAL is to deny otherwise!

Old 01-01-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Seems you should get some kind of compensation. Have you checked into it? Is your husband still with us??
He was in for 8 years - did not retire. However, I was just trying to get in on the vet status (by proxy) - as others are vets and I cannot claim the honor of saying I have served!!! So was just trying to up my status but saying hubby did, LOL!!!!

Old 01-01-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Freda View Post

Yeah RIGHT !
Respectfully, I must disagree w/ your slanted views and bitter attitude.

Every deployment around this globe had a military objective wh/ either protected some other country's rights or protected our interests (legitimate interests, may I add).

I need to go turn the chicken, so that is all I will write for now. I will wait for you to flame me and I'll catch up on the downside, as it were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies