Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 11:34 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times

Advertisements

No, not all wealthy. Just the corrupt ones that buy are government to do their bidding.

When our country is up for sale to the highest bidders, the highest bidders in effect must take on the responsibility of crafting policies beneficial to all Americans.

The solution is simple if they do not want that responsibility.

GET OUT OF MY GOVERNMENT!

I want a small less powerful government, but since I have no political or economic power like they do to make this happen, the responsibility lies in their hands.

BBC News - Study: US is an oligarchy, not a democracy

Quote:
Multivariate analysis indicates that economic elites and organised groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on US government policy, while average citizens and mass-based interest groups have little or no independent influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 11:55 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
No, not all wealthy. Just the corrupt ones that buy are government to do their bidding.

When our country is up for sale to the highest bidders, the highest bidders in effect must take on the responsibility of crafting policies beneficial to all Americans.

I want a small less powerful government, but since I have no political or economic power like they do to make this happen, the responsibility lies in their hands.

the country is reverting back to the days of the robber barons. instead of 5 billionaires Vanderbilt, Carnegie, Rockefeller, JP Morgan running the country we now have 400 billionaires controlling it..

I was just reading an article on the msn and it was stating that the 88 richest billionaires have as much wealth as the 50 percent of the worlds lower half, or 3.6 billion people..

Old 11-01-2014, 11:56 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:

I agree with you, but that is not a simple solution. It sounds simple. But it won't be.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:27 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
There is no easy answer. Capitalism is KEY to a healthy economy and usually there is a rich white guy at the top of the biggest businesses. That guy is a target and has been since the Dems won the white house. I don't get it. Big business means more jobs or at least it used to before individuals got too greedy and short sighted and started shipping jobs overseas. The poster "Cruxan" mentions Vanderbilt, Carnegie, Rockefeller, JP Morgan. Those titans made it because they banked on America, its working class and the American consumer. Business was booming. America was Booming.
What we need today are billionaires and politicians that actually believe in America.
I think it is the resposibility of the wealthy to provide a trickle down of money to keep things going but today it is not about giving back but taking.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:43 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
No, they do not.

The only person with a responsibility to take care of you... is you.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:52 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, they do not.

Thank You you believe as I was raised. The only one who can make life better for you is you.

With hard work and dedication to what you believe. As my husband and I have done. Us no help. Scrimping and saving, and doing without. And guess what it surely has paid off. People need to stop relying on others and start dreaming once again. In America, you can become whatever you wish, if your able to sacrifice and work hard.

We know of a company who went on Shark Tank last year, a younger couple, who had a dream, and let me tell you, with the help of the Sharks and their dream, their hard work, their dedication, they are more then millionaires now.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:59 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, they do not.

When are the top elite going to do the same as well and not run to Government to enrich them?
Sure, we need to look after ourselves but what happens to our government is our business as well.
If the top elite are rigging the government and economy for their benefit and at our expense, which I am paying taxes to, then we all have a responsibility to take back control for them.

Otherwise, those that collaborate with the government should be paying all the taxes and everyone else should not be paying any. You have heard of taxation without representation I am sure.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:13 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:

Your first step is to understand the difference between rich and high income. That way a politician can't lie to you about going after the rich like Obama did.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:20 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:

Why are you giving corrupt government a pass on responsibility? They are the ones offering up the country to the highest bidder. Until you and more people realize this, corrupt politicians will continue to fool you.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:47 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:

Translation - those with the most money should use their money and purchased power to influence the government in ways that are beneficial to the rest of us.

Two problems with that:

1. They're using their money and influence to benefit themselves - not us. That will never change. And why should it? They've bought the best policians that money could buy.

2. Simply laying down and accepting the fact that big money buys big influence is problematic. It is contrary to the way this country was founded and is contrary to democracy. The government is made up of politicians that WE elect. They are hired by US to represent US. Their job is to keep us safe and establish policies that provide a climate in this country that is beneficial to all Americans. If we cannot reign in those we ELECT AND PAY specifically to represent us, we will not be able to reign in independent citizens who have a wad of cash.

3. We need to reign in our politicians. Electing them is only the first step. Holding their feet to the fire after they are in those coveted positions that they spent so much money to get, is key as well. How many times have you heard a politicians office be inundated with letters and phone calls from constituents? Over the past couple of years it has happened frequently with hot button issues. I've done it a number of times. And finally (to quote a certain in-trouble female politician in Louisiana) if we don't like what they do we can "unelect them".

Vote on Tuesday folks. Whatever your position, whatever side of the aisle you sit on, vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies