Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 02:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

It's really irrelevant. The only thing protecting us from the government right now is the courts.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:01 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
My point is a simple one. In many courts in the US in many circumstances the response to that lawsuit would be "so what?"
That's an opinion, not a fact or evidence. People sue for wrongful termination all the time, and most of them have a gripe other than "they hatin' cuz I'm gay." If you or someone you know feel there's a case for wrongful termination based solely on sexual orientation, tell the ACLU and get all lawyery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I could drive up the road to Cheyenne Wyoming, open a coffee shop, and post a help-wanted sign that reads "Homos Don't Apply." I could drive up the road to Wyoming and buy a cattle ranch and then fire any employee I thought was gay for being gay telling them "You're fired because I think you're gay, and I don't employ gay people." Both would be completely legal, and any gay person fired or denied a job for being gay would have no case whatsoever.
Now your opinion is based on hypothetical scenarios and straw man arguments. Still doesn't make it fact.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:44 PM

778 posts, read 823,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
That's an opinion, not a fact or evidence. People sue for wrongful termination all the time, and most of them have a gripe other than "they hatin' cuz I'm gay." If you or someone you know feel there's a case for wrongful termination based solely on sexual orientation, tell the ACLU and get all lawyery.

Now your opinion is based on hypothetical scenarios and straw man arguments. Still doesn't make it fact.
Discrimination at Work: Is It Legal to Fire Someone for Being Gay? - Businessweek
States Where You Can Be Fired For Being Gay - Business Insider
snopes.com: Fired for Being Gay
The 29 States Where You Can Still Be Fired For Being Gay
Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013 | Advocate.com

It's perfectly legal in a lot of places to fire someone for being gay. I don't know how that fact is really up for debate. Should it be legal? Of course not. But there's the facts.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:07 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's really irrelevant. The only thing protecting us from the government right now is the courts.
They sure did a great job protecting us from Obamacare.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:25 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
They sure did a great job protecting us from Obamacare.
We need to wait and see on that still. I'm not a fan on the courts ruling on the small picture but that is how they rule.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:26 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Republicans don't care about that ****.

Republicans want to cut social security, medicare, and medicaid. They are funded by the mega-rich. The mega-rich have better things to do than worry about social issues. Those are just smokescreens to get your votes.
They also hate puppies.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:19 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
It's perfectly legal in a lot of places to fire someone for being gay. I don't know how that fact is really up for debate. Should it be legal? Of course not. But there's the facts.
It's perfectly legal to fire someone because you don't like them. Eliminate the position, done. Applies to everyone, not just gay people.

Once more, lack of a specific protection is not explicit permission to discriminate. According to the "fired for being gay" logic that lack of specific protection means you can be fired without it, then you can also be fired for being heterosexual in all those same 29 states.

But in all 50 states, you can fire anyone whenever you want - downsize them or eliminate the position. Done. And it's been done at every job I have ever held, including the military, which refers to it as "force reduction" and "high year tenure" but it's downsizing all the same.

Gays are not special in this regard. Neither is anyone else.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:44 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
and the ones I could find are bunk propaganda.

Minus the required HR paper trail for any termination, you could sue anywhere else, including Florida. So if there was no paper trail justifying HR's actions, and you were fired, not downsized or had your position eliminated (small scale downsizing), then you could very easily and probably should sue. The SCOTUS has heard and upheld the argument that discrimination for sexual orientation by employers runs counter to discriminating on gender, using the gender assignment argument. For more, please read: Tim Cook Is Wrong: You Really Can't Fire Someone For Being Gay

From the above article:
In your case, you a) were downsized (which happens to everyone, everyday, not just gays), b) had your position eliminated (again, happens to everyone, everyday), c) had an HR paper trail that you are not telling anyone about because it wrecks your narrative of oppression, or d) have every right and really, responsibility, to sue for wrongful termination.

You can go ahead and pick from those four choices, but only (d) goes with your story of oppression, and that's in all 50 states. My employer fired 2 employees for actual cause that both admitted to, in writing, and the employer still gave them additional severance in exchange for signed releases that they wouldn't attempt to sue for wrongful termination. This is a cost saver on future legal costs, because every employer knows how hard firing someone is, especially with sketchy or no cause.

You may want to peddle your story somewhere where people are a lot more naive, because absent you suing that employer, something in your story doesn't jive at all.
Blah blah blah.

You quote an opinion piece from a right-leaning partisan publication ... and then you dismiss all the examples of discrimination you found online as "bunk propaganda."

It's like trying to debate World War 2 history with a Holocaust Denier.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:37 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Name the story where the employer fired someone for sexual orientation alone. Please. Link it up, this epidemic of firing gay people for their gayness.

And for exactly nobody is having a job a "right." It's a voluntary contract between two parties, and is neither right of the employee, nor responsibility of employer. Simple contract is all.
Once more, link me up to where people are fired for being gay, and by all means, link me to where housing and medicine are denied gay people. What does that even mean? Like CVS doesn't sell OTC medicine to gay people? Doctors won't see you? Banks won't allow you to get a mortgage> Landlords deny you rentals? In my entire life, the only time "are you homosexual?" ever appeared on any application/form/etc was the initial paperwork I signed when I joined the military in 1988, before the whole "don't ask, don't tell" era. No doctor, bank, employer (other than the Navy) or anyone else has ever once inquired about my sexual orientation.

I already acknowledged the marriage thing, but all this appeal to sympathy/emotion in the above quote has nothing to do with being denied employment, housing, medical, etc. Even the military no longers asks (which actually ended pseudo gay melinguering, and now people can't "invent gay" to get out). Even in the military back in the day, I knew gay people who wore the uniform, and yeah, at work they didn't run it up the flagpole, but away from work, it was no big secret, they were "out" and nobody freaking cared.

My experience in life, including knowing more gay people than most heteros typically do, tells me yours is a bunch of paranoid propaganda. I am really interested in seeing proof that being gay has gotten you or someone else fired, denied them housing and medical, and otherwise oppressed them other than the whole legal marriage thing, which I do not debate (and think government should remove itself from the business of entirely). By all means, give me the examples and evidence of a world that denies shelter and medicine to gays.
I was fired from the fire department when another employee leaked it out that I was gay, my spouse has been denied medical coverage for me as his spouse, through the VA and they are still doing it because of DOMA. I never said medicine, I said medical, repeat, medical. Before you declare I made all this up, look it up, I already have and am not going to do your work for you.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:08 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I challenge your claim that that's not what the republican party is about.

Even the gay republican group got banned from the republican convention last year. And again, I hate myself for doing this, but I actually watch the republican debates. It's incredible how the answer to every question by republican candidates either have to do with how much they hate Obama or how much they hate the gheys. The more moderate ones try to stay more toward the "I hate Obama" side of things while the more conservative ones try to give a balance between "I hate Obama" and "I hate the gheys".

I don't know what republican party you say you belong to, but the current one sure hates gay people.

Added by edit.

You don't even need to look far. All you have to do is look in this thread. There are already people denying gay people exist. A few deny gay rights exist. A few have even denied gay people were ever discriminated against.

Speaking as a gay man living with another gay man, I can assure you that we have been discriminated against. I've even lost a job because of it. For every law suit over work place discrimination you hear on the news, there are a thousand more cases like mine where the victims just simply want to move on with our lives and never look back. I never sued because I don't want to be a hero. I just want to quietly move on with my life.

Thank you, republicans, for teaching your children to hate us. Very christ-like of you.
You know what? Please don't get mad.

I can tell you why I am a Republican

Republicans believe that the principles of the party should be based upon the precepts laid down by the founders of the United States Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Limitations on the powers of government
Emphasis on individual freedom and rights
Equality under the law for all persons
Separation of powers among the executive, legislative and judicial branches
Republicans believe that good government is based upon the individual and that each person’s ability, dignity, freedom and responsibility must be honored and recognized.

Republican Principles

I support gay right and gay marriage. I have defend gay marriage many many many times in this forum. I can reassure you that not all republicans are gay haters. Matter of fact, I haven't seen ANY gay hating Republicans here in California at all.

I lost a loved one to suicide and have been told he went straight to hell. I don't judge no one. I think it is simply absurd to believe all Republicans are gay haters. What is there to hate? !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies