Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2014, 08:08 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,018 times

Advertisements

Must be nice that 132 people almost basically own our political process

How can anyone be ok with this?

More on Lawrence "Larry" Lessig

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Lessig

Quote:
Lawrence "Larry" Lessig (born June 3, 1961) is an American academic and political activist. He is a proponent of reduced legal restrictions on copyright, trademark, and radio frequency spectrum, particularly in technology applications, and he has called for state-based activism to promote substantive reform of government with a Second Constitutional Convention. In May 2014, he launched a crowd-funded political action committee which he termed Mayday PAC with the purpose of electing candidates to Congress who would pass campaign finance reform.

Quote:
In 2010, Lessig began to organize for a national constitutional convention. He co-founded Fix Congress First! with Joe Trippi. Lessig called for a convention to propose amendments to the United States Constitution in a September 24–25, 2011, conference co-chaired by the Tea Party Patriots' national coordinator, in Lessig's October 5, 2011, book, Republic, Lost: How Money Corrupts Congress—and a Plan to Stop It, and at the Occupy protest in Washington, DC. Reporter Dan Froomkin said the book offers a manifesto for the Occupy Wall Street protestors, focusing on the core problem of corruption in both political parties and their elections. Lessig's initial constitutional amendment would allow legislatures to limit political contributions from non-citizens, including corporations, anonymous organizations, and foreign nationals, and he also supports public campaign financing and electoral college reform to establish the one person, one vote principle.
Sounds like someone we need to put in power.

It is time to put an end to the wealthy parasites infesting our government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 08:14 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
I never give to superpacs.

I only give to the candidate personally, if I like them that much.
Ron Paul was the last guy to get my money.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:17 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Do you only vote how the SuperPACs tell you to? I didn't think so. Neither do most people. They "own" our elections how exactly?

Old 11-01-2014, 08:19 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Do you only vote how the SuperPACs tell you to? I didn't think so. Neither do most people. They "own" our elections how exactly?

Regardless of if you are influenced by them or not, I think we can be in agreement (or at least hope so) that having this few people with so much influence is not a good thing.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:23 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Regardless of if you are influenced by them or not, I think we can be in agreement (or at least hope so) that having this few people with so much influence is not a good thing.
Of course it's not a good thing but that doesn't mean that the Constitution should be amended to outlaw SuperPACs. It's also important to note that the left sure loves its high dollar contributors just as much as the right.

My point was that no one is buying elections. This much money being involved isn't good, but its effect is not very large.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:24 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Yeah like 535 members of congress passing laws over 300 million of us.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:21 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
If those 132 people were the only ones who voted then blame it on them. And since they didn't I wont blame them.
We the people need to take personable responsibility and quit voting for the status quo. Because the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:58 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post

Must be nice that 132 people almost basically own our political process ...

... It is time to put an end to the wealthy parasites infesting our government.
That is because we no longer live in a democracy; it has transitioned into a plutocracy ruled by oligarchs. Ordinary people no longer have any influence on government, only Billionaires and Billion dollar corporations have influence on our elected leaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies