Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 04:49 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
As a Christian, I'm required by my religion to love everyone so race shouldn't matter. In reality, that can be hard to do. I agree that the military works hard to have a color blind environment and they mostly achieve that. I will point out though that when being compared to a cohort who was a black female, she received a higher job evaluation is areas where I know that I should have gotten a higher ranking....when I inquired about it, I was told all blacks receive the highest ranking which was ordered to increase blacks at higher grades. That affected me and was partially the reason why I left the military.

In ordinary life, there's the leftists demanding separation of the races politically for political benefit and we also have long standing racists among us that don't help the situation.
The military can give people an identity that supersedes race, and perhaps more importantly, it can create an environment in which all groups are roughly equal in ability. They do this by making a huge swath of society's bottom tier ineligible to join

Old 12-19-2016, 04:52 AM

638 posts, read 310,144 times
I don't give much thought to race. Why would I?

Pull your own weight, obey the law, and respect your neighbors. Beyond that I don't care what color you are, what gender you are, who you sleep with, or what country you came from. I'm not sure why anyone else would.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:19 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
I don't have a military background and I'm white.

I don't hate anybody because of the color of their skin. I don't know anyone who does.

I have met a few people who had pre-conceived notions about me because I'm white while they are not, but they find me to be okay to deal with, or be around.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:56 AM

269 posts, read 134,541 times
The idea of separate human races did not exist for most of human history.
For most of human history, skin color was irrelevant to your identity as a human being.

It was first introduced during the enlightenment soon after was the idea that races had different "temperaments".

Race as an idea/identity really took hold as the result of the trans Atlantic slave trade and in America.

If you look at world history, Europeans did not see themselves as one common people connected by a shared skin color. No they saw themselves as distinct based on being German or French, or English or etc.

It was only in America where the idea that being a slave was to have black skin and therefore meant mental and physical inferiority with no rights barely human, and that to be called white in America meant the opposite and access to power, privilege, domination.

This is the foundation of the white racial identity. And it is an identity based on those ideas.

This is the reality of what race means and that is what I think of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies