Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:41 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
An ER is required to stabilize a patient regardless of the patient's insurance or ability to pay. This does not mean the ER won't bill the patient.

ERs don't do organ transplants, treat Cancer or remove tonsils.

Illegal adult immigrants are on state Medicaid/ assistance? Which states?
It does happen, indirectly...
Medicaid Helps Hospitals Pay For Illegal Immigrants’ Care | Kaiser Health News
How Undocumented Immigrants Sometimes Receive Medicaid Treatment | The Rundown | PBS NewsHour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 08:43 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times
The thing I can't understand is Cobra insurance once you lose your job. How does it make sense to be put on a plan that quadruples the price of your insurance, once you have no means to pay it anyway? Weird system we have created.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:44 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Hey at least Trannies can now get their genitals cut off at everyone else's expense.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It's not really a "choice" for everyone to buy the best plan. Most people purchase a plan that they can afford.
OK, here's where I'm going to sound like a crank, and maybe a little like a right-winger.

I don't have a problem with people having cell phones. You can get some fairly inexpensive plans, and in this society, you pretty much need a phone, cell or otherwise. Cells are nice b/c they're portable. But. . . cable isn't necessary except in the most remote rural areas where you couldn't get decent service otherwise. And no one needs more than basic cable. But people "afford" all kinds of stuff that isn't necessary, then they want to get health care on the cheap!

I have a big problem with these high deductible plans. Working in health care as I do, we get frequent calls from patients wanting antibiotics and all kinds of stuff prescribed per over the phone consultation, b/c the pt says it will cost them too much to come in as they have a high-deductible plan. That's just not good health care. If you're going to take out one of these plans, then put a little money aside each month if you have to, for the deductible part. Forgo whatever gadget is the latest "must have" if you have to.

Rant over.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:57 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana
So you chose a "high deductible" plan. Now you know how those work. You might be better off paying a higher monthly premium and getting more coverage.

Quote:
It's not really a "choice" for everyone to buy the best plan. Most people purchase a plan that they can afford.
Katiana is correct - I did choose a 'high deductible plan', but I chose that 'high deductible plan' many years ago and opened a Health Savings Account. I did this through an employer that offered the option, my Son & his family of 6 did the same thing. The deal is that my "high deductible" was only $1500 pre-Obama, now it's doubled and likely to go higher still.

We are all a pretty healthy family - our 'high deductible plan' allows for annual checkups (paid for), preventive tests like colon scans & mammograms and hospital care. We put the annual MAX into the HSA ..... My insurance was through an Employer, but these plans are also available through ObamaCare. IF you don't have an on-going medical problem and don't need medication on a regular basis ... then the HSA is absolutely the way to go. I get to deduct the HSA contribution off the top of my Income when the Tax Man cometh and have "saved over $20,000" to use for Medical expenses (other than Insurance premiums). Anyone who doesn't have an HSA - should check it out.

HSA Coalition - HSA's explained

I could have "afforded" any plan that I wanted, same with my Son and his family - we both have/had excellent Employer Insurance. We chose the smartest thing for our Situation, which is Good Health.
I don't mind paying for an occasional $100 office visit or shopping for a cheap antibiotic when needed - I end up saving $1,000's of dollars in premiums and that money goes right into a Tax Free account for my Medical expenses. The trick is to have the discipline to put the money into the HSA instead of spend the 'savings' from the lower premiums.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:03 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, here's where I'm going to sound like a crank, and maybe a little like a right-winger.

I don't have a problem with people having cell phones. You can get some fairly inexpensive plans, and in this society, you pretty much need a phone, cell or otherwise. Cells are nice b/c they're portable. But. . . cable isn't necessary except in the most remote rural areas where you couldn't get decent service otherwise. And no one needs more than basic cable. But people "afford" all kinds of stuff that isn't necessary, then they want to get health care on the cheap!

I have a big problem with these high deductible plans. Working in health care as I do, we get frequent calls from patients wanting antibiotics and all kinds of stuff prescribed per over the phone consultation, b/c the pt says it will cost them too much to come in as they have a high-deductible plan. That's just not good health care. If you're going to take out one of these plans, then put a little money aside each month if you have to, for the deductible part. Forgo whatever gadget is the latest "must have" if you have to.

Rant over.
From what I've noticed, the cost between a bronze plan (High Deductible) and a Silver or Gold plan is a lot more then the cost of cable TV. Not everyone who buys health insurance spends money on extravagant purchases. Some really are on a tight budget and the difference between a high deductible plan and a better plan is too much for them to afford. I know that there are people out there who seem completely clueless about the value of a dollar and who do waste money and fail to budget properly, but my point was in regards to the people who are already frugal and careful but can't afford the increased premiums.

Personally I prefer paying out of pocket for most of my medical expenses (office visits, preventative care, prescriptions, etc.) and having a high deductible policy to cover the bigger thing that come up. I know that's not right for everyone but it works for me.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I don't mind paying for an occasional $100 office visit or shopping for a cheap antibiotic when needed - I end up saving $1,000's of dollars in premiums and that money goes right into a Tax Free account for my Medical expenses. The trick is to have the discipline to put the money into the HSA instead of spend the 'savings' from the lower premiums.
I feel the same way. I'd rather put money aside and pay for things as they come up rather then pay higher premiums for care that I may or may not need.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
From what I've noticed, the cost between a bronze plan (High Deductible) and a Silver or Gold plan is a lot more then the cost of cable TV. Not everyone who buys health insurance spends money on extravagant purchases. Some really are on a tight budget and the difference between a high deductible plan and a better plan is too much for them to afford. I know that there are people out there who seem completely clueless about the value of a dollar and who do waste money and fail to budget properly, but my point was in regards to the people who are already frugal and careful but can't afford the increased premiums.

Personally I prefer paying out of pocket for most of my medical expenses (office visits, preventative care, prescriptions, etc.) and having a high deductible policy to cover the bigger thing that come up. I know that's not right for everyone but it works for me.
I'm aware of all the bold. But my years of experience in health care have also taught me that people who will pay for entertainment-type stuff balk at health care. Somehow a $100 doctor visit is less affordable than $100 in concert tickets, just as one example.

Quote:
I feel the same way. I'd rather put money aside and pay for things as they come up rather then pay higher premiums for care that I may or may not need.
Then you have to accept the consequences of that decision.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm aware of all the bold. But my years of experience in health care have also taught me that people who will pay for entertainment-type stuff balk at health care. Somehow a $100 doctor visit is less affordable than $100 in concert tickets, just as one example.
OK, well there are a lot of different types of people so I guess we can leave it at that. My point was in regards to those who really can't afford higher premiums. Personally, I can't imagine spending $100 on a concert ticket but would not have a problem paying that for a doctor visit. I've always been frugal though.

Quote:
Then you have to accept the consequences of that decision.
I don't think of it that way. It's not a "consequence" but rather a well thought out plan. I love my doctor and I pay for her services without insurance. Having that mixed with a high deductible plan for emergencies and unexpected and expensive illness is what I prefer.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:43 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Well what do right wingers offer as an alternative to O-care? Oh yeah, that's right...NOTHING. They would have been happy with the status quo where insurance companies could deny coverage due to pre-existing conditions. I would bet money that the guy in the pic lives in a red state that chose not to expand Medicaid.

What exactly are you complaining about OP? Is it that you decry "illegal criminals" being able to take advantage of Medicaid or is it that in some states hard working poor folks can't get on that very same Medicaid because their state chose not to expand it? Which is it? Are you in favor of its expansion where people like this can have access to doctors or do you wish to deny Medicaid expansion due to an ideological prejudice?

Actually several options have been offered but harry reid makes sure it dies in the senate for years now.
I suspect you will get many plans suggested during the 2015/2016 election cycle. First you have to hold your cards close to your heart before the media supports and or destroys any option before the public can even see it.

After all whatever the democrat runs in 2016 i suspect they will say something like this...IN MY hillary chrill voice... Obamacare is great.. we will expand and make sure ALL americans are covered while we get a handle on the glitches. Healthcare will be available when you need it and we here you. Followed by my favorite soon be used line which has no truth to why OBAMACARE SUCKS. Republicans caused a government shutdown, etc etc. Some how Obamacares government website, system failures, and the "people" who have not signed up for it will be republicans fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies