Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 01:07 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
BTW, in Nevada (where the OP is), there's already been a test case on this exact issue.

Get a Medical Marijuana Card, Lose Your Second Amendment Rights - Reason.com

The article was written in 2011, and I don't know what the outcome of the case was. I would expect that if they had won it, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.
The court just handed down a "decision" , which was to not make a decision. The case is right here in CC, and involves one of the local shops in Mound house that I frequent. Next time I'm in there I will ask the little gal that owns the place if she has any more clarification than is available on the web.

My core heartburn with this is that I have NEVER had a dangerous encounter, armed or otherwise, involving someone who was just smoking weed. Now, add alcohol to the equation and all bets are off. I don't drink alcohol, especially the hard stuff, because it makes me plumb stupid. With the damage I have seen done because of booze, that seals the deal for me.

And. other than as a cough suppressant additive, which it is good for, its medical uses are very limited. Its just a readily available ticket to dumb azz land. MJ is a great tool for cancer patients, and many others as well. As an appetite stimulant, very important for grossly sick folks, it knocks down nausea very well, is a calming agent , it does suppress pain , and without the addiction issues of opiates, it has lots of things going for it, medically. Plus, even as a recreational tool, its impacts are much more desirable than booze. Something else I've never experienced with MJ is a nasty, puking sick, hangover. that made me not go to work.

I truly don't understand the fear mongering and total ignorance behind this. I guess from some politicians views, it is a good way to harass gun owners and justify confiscation and denial of rights. They never even attempt to consider a comparison to alcohol, as if it doesn't even have merit. Common sense needs to prevail here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 01:15 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The court just handed down a "decision" , which was to not make a decision. The case is right here in CC, and involves one of the local shops in Mound house that I frequent. Next time I'm in there I will ask the little gal that owns the place if she has any more clarification than is available on the web.

My core heartburn with this is that I have NEVER had a dangerous encounter, armed or otherwise, involving someone who was just smoking weed. Now, add alcohol to the equation and all bets are off. I don't drink alcohol, especially the hard stuff, because it makes me plumb stupid. With the damage I have seen done because of booze, that seals the deal for me.

And. other than as a cough suppressant additive, which it is good for, its medical uses are very limited. Its just a readily available ticket to dumb azz land. MJ is a great tool for cancer patients, and many others as well. As an appetite stimulant, very important for grossly sick folks, it knocks down nausea very well, is a calming agent , it does suppress pain , and without the addiction issues of opiates, it has lots of things going for it, medically. Plus, even as a recreational tool, its impacts are much more desirable than booze. Something else I've never experienced with MJ is a nasty, puking sick, hangover. that made me not go to work.

I truly don't understand the fear mongering and total ignorance behind this. I guess from some politicians views, it is a good way to harass gun owners and justify confiscation and denial of rights. They never even attempt to consider a comparison to alcohol, as if it doesn't even have merit. Common sense needs to prevail here.

they would never do that because a lot of the hypocrites politicians drink booze..

Old 11-05-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
they would never do that because a lot of the hypocrites politicians drink booze..
Yes they do. To excess, as evidenced by all their liver issues our tax money pays to treat. That, and the kick backs from booze makers. That's another viable comparison as well. Has anyone's liver rotted out from smoking MJ? Yea...that would be a resounding NO!

If folks used MJ instead of booze as a recreational/social substance , seems to me that would solve some health issues. As it pertains to the core of this discussion, violent incidents involving intoxication would plummet too. Denying folks their right to self defense and ownership/ use of firearms, based on medical use of pot is just plain stupid. And yes, the hypocrisy involved is quite inscencing as well.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yes they do. To excess, as evidenced by all their liver issues our tax money pays to treat. That, and the kick backs from booze makers. That's another viable comparison as well. Has anyone's liver rotted out from smoking MJ? Yea...that would be a resounding NO!

If folks used MJ instead of booze as a recreational/social substance , seems to me that would solve some health issues. As it pertains to the core of this discussion, violent incidents involving intoxication would plummet too. Denying folks their right to self defense and ownership/ use of firearms, based on medical use of pot is just plain stupid. And yes, the hypocrisy involved is quite inscencing as well.

I totally agree in blue

don't get what you are getting at.?? what I meant was no politician would make a law that prohibits the ownership of a firearm for people that drink booze, unless they made them selves exempt!!! we all know how that works.. politicians are some of the biggest boozers on the planet

Old 11-05-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
[/color][/b]

I totally agree in blue

don't get what you are getting at.?? what I meant was no politician would make a law that prohibits the ownership of a firearm for people that drink booze, unless they made them selves exempt!!! we all know how that works.. politicians are some of the biggest boozers on the planet
Lol....politicians always see themselves as exempt from ANY law they make. If they didn't, they would be the first ones arrested and convicted. There are some laws on the books that deny rights to firearms where booze is usually a large factor, but doesn't really lay blame on drinking as the cause. That would be domestic violence laws. The fact that a great percentage of domestic violence is directly linked to excessive drinking is rarely a factor in sentencing. Its not even an exacerbating issue . No blame gets put on the booze.

Gun control advocates are happy as clams to sue firearms makers for misuse of their products, but the belly full of cheap whiskey that put the perp in the stupid state of mind to misuse a gun? Do they howl to sue the distiller? Like it was the firearm, not the 5th of rot gut, that effected judgement. I find that...disturbing...on many levels.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:23 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You can thank Obama for this travesty. He can remove marijuana from the Schedule I list with a stroke of his pen.
Congress would never fund that to happen.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Congress would never fund that to happen.

times are changing and fast.. they might get voted out if they ignore it to long!!! people are getting fed up no pun intended...

Old 11-05-2014, 06:00 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
times are changing and fast.. they might get voted out if they ignore it to long!!! people are getting fed up no pun intended...
Very few voters will choose this as their make or break issue. I fear that marijuana legalization will take a good long time, and it might never be fully legal nationwide.

State by state ballot initiatives remain the most feasible strategy, IMO. I don't see the basic constitutional issues here that made the tipping point for same-sex marriage.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:18 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You can own guns if you drink beer
That's because beer is legal. That way you don't have to deal with gun toting thugs when you buy beer like you might have to do when buying marijuana. So another reason why marijuana must be legalized like beer.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:23 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Because many are. It's the liberal republicans who support socially liberal agendas like gay marriage, abortion and drug legalization.
You mean libertarian Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies