Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 07:40 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times

Advertisements

On a recent doctor visit, my attending surgeon recommended I consider getting a marijuana card. Due to serious, long term, pain issues his thoughts were that narcotic pain management could be cut back and thus other health issues assessed. Chiefly, dependency on opiates.

So, I discussed this with my pain management doctor, who agreed and gave me the paperwork to obtain the required card. After careful examination of the application, I came to find that in order to become a "medical patient" of good ol' Mary Jane, that one, for all intents and purposes, surrenders their right to arms.

So, upon my next visit with the surgeon, who originally suggested this, I informed him of this provision. Being an avid competitive and recreational shooter ( a sport that accommodates my physical limits) I told him they can keep their card. Imagine, my surprise, when he expressed shock at this law, unaware of this provision, and is an avid hunter and shooter himself.

This is sononsensi all as to only be attributable to our system of government. The ramifications go deep. Narcotic pills and infusions don't negate ones right to own firearms as there is a "dependency" differentiation twixt the latter and "addiction", mad so for medical purposes. Plus, any old piece of trash can buy a 5th of JD, and have an arsenal and a bad attitude., made worse by booze, at his disposal,....Cuz?....Uncle Jack is government approved for public consumption. By Uncle Sam himself.

Truthfully, I see both opiates and THC as far less of an issue in terms of one being a danger to themselves and others, especially where weapons are concerned. No, I'm not talking about the heroin wraith or illegal user. I'm talking about legitimate , medical patients, under monitoring and contract, such as myself. Besides, I've NEVER seen anyone violent or blacking out whilst smoking weed, the same cannot be said for a boozehound. I've seen, and had to confront, many of the latter, NEVER feeling like they could be talked down or reasoned with. Uncle Jack was calling the shots, literally, and duck and cover was the most prudent method of negotiation. Followed closely by return fire. All because a "legal" substance, available at any AM/PM, was at the core.

If this really makes sense to anyone, I question their mental capacity. I would hazard that an ingrained myth, instilled by Reefer Madness films of the 50s , is at the core of their rationale. These same people would also be quite shocked at how many cops smoke the "devil weed". And don't shoot denials at me. Sorry...been there...done that. I've seen to much.

Marijuana phsycosis"? Yea...sure. ( in snotty sarcastic tone) Delirium and violent physcotic break brought on by alcohol? Seen it far to many times. At this point, this issue is just starting to pop up in the courts. Rulings I've read through here, locally, have been mixed, and inconclusive. I see a long road ahead, as government applies its own brand of common sense, devoid of the latter.

Personally,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 07:50 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
I believe that the prohibition of cannabis should be ended. I also believe that one's 2nd Amendment's right should be taken away for partaking in it either. Unfortunately, the fearmongers in the "Reefer Madness" crowd don't agree. The funny thing is I've seen more violent outbursts from use of alcohol than from cannabis use. Yet I could have a 6 pack in my fridge, and still own a firearm, but if I have a half an oz., oh no! Can't have that! It truly is a crock of s***!

Old 11-04-2014, 07:50 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
You can thank Obama for this travesty. He can remove marijuana from the Schedule I list with a stroke of his pen.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:53 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You can thank Obama for this travesty. He can remove marijuana from the Schedule I list with a stroke of his pen.

IMO that is actually one pen stroke from him that I would support. Will it happen? No, probably not. None of the politicians from either party has the stones to do so, because then certain special interests would not line their pockets. I mean, God forbid we and the empty suits in this country live up to the "Land of the Free" mantra for once!

Old 11-04-2014, 08:05 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
So, if the RW wins control of the Senate you'll be thanking Congress for this travesty, eh?

Old 11-04-2014, 08:05 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
That has to be something in Nevada, but I don't think you have to surrender your guns. I'd have to research the topic. Other states don't have that wording.

What is your determination by "all intents and purposes"?

Old 11-04-2014, 08:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
On a recent doctor visit, my attending surgeon recommended I consider getting a marijuana card. Due to serious, long term, pain issues his thoughts were that narcotic pain management could be cut back and thus other health issues assessed. Chiefly, dependency on opiates.

So, I discussed this with my pain management doctor, who agreed and gave me the paperwork to obtain the required card. After careful examination of the application, I came to find that in order to become a "medical patient" of good ol' Mary Jane, that one, for all intents and purposes, surrenders their right to arms.

So, upon my next visit with the surgeon, who originally suggested this, I informed him of this provision. Being an avid competitive and recreational shooter ( a sport that accommodates my physical limits) I told him they can keep their card. Imagine, my surprise, when he expressed shock at this law, unaware of this provision, and is an avid hunter and shooter himself.

This is sononsensi all as to only be attributable to our system of government. The ramifications go deep. Narcotic pills and infusions don't negate ones right to own firearms as there is a "dependency" differentiation twixt the latter and "addiction", mad so for medical purposes. Plus, any old piece of trash can buy a 5th of JD, and have an arsenal and a bad attitude., made worse by booze, at his disposal,....Cuz?....Uncle Jack is government approved for public consumption. By Uncle Sam himself.

Truthfully, I see both opiates and THC as far less of an issue in terms of one being a danger to themselves and others, especially where weapons are concerned. No, I'm not talking about the heroin wraith or illegal user. I'm talking about legitimate , medical patients, under monitoring and contract, such as myself. Besides, I've NEVER seen anyone violent or blacking out whilst smoking weed, the same cannot be said for a boozehound. I've seen, and had to confront, many of the latter, NEVER feeling like they could be talked down or reasoned with. Uncle Jack was calling the shots, literally, and duck and cover was the most prudent method of negotiation. Followed closely by return fire. All because a "legal" substance, available at any AM/PM, was at the core.

If this really makes sense to anyone, I question their mental capacity. I would hazard that an ingrained myth, instilled by Reefer Madness films of the 50s , is at the core of their rationale. These same people would also be quite shocked at how many cops smoke the "devil weed". And don't shoot denials at me. Sorry...been there...done that. I've seen to much.

Marijuana phsycosis"? Yea...sure. ( in snotty sarcastic tone) Delirium and violent physcotic break brought on by alcohol? Seen it far to many times. At this point, this issue is just starting to pop up in the courts. Rulings I've read through here, locally, have been mixed, and inconclusive. I see a long road ahead, as government applies its own brand of common sense, devoid of the latter.

Personally,

One becomes real aware what is happening, when you have to ask permission to be free, in the land of the free.

It all snaps one day that you are not free and never will be, no matter how much you scream you are.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:34 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Here is part of the NJ firearm ID application.
Medical MJ would be a cause of rejection to own a firearm here. Funny how that works, eh?
Push it for legalization and it would eliminate or prevent legal gun ownership. Hoops would have to jumped through to mesh the use of mj and still allow gun ownership. How likely do you think it would be that legislators would iron the wrinkles out of that mess?

If MJ was legalized to the equivalent of alcohol I'd bet the form would be ammended to ask about mj as well. both Impact the CNS and judgement. What would an addiction to mj look like? Can of worms when it comes to firearm ownership and mj.

[CENTER]"Schedule I[/CENTER]

Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Schedule I drugs are the most dangerous drugs of all the drug schedules with potentially severe psychological or physical dependence. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are: [CENTER]heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote "[/CENTER]

How would you answer?

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
"(21) Do you suffer from a
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
physical defect or disease?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Yes
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
No
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
(22) If answer to question 21 is yes, doesthis make it unsafe for you to handle firearms? If not, explain.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
(23) Are you an alcoholic?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
(25) Are you dependent
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
upon the use of a narcotic(s)
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
or other controlled
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
dangeroussubstance(s)?"
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 11-04-2014, 08:38 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
That has to be something in Nevada, but I don't think you have to surrender your guns. I'd have to research the topic. Other states don't have that wording.

What is your determination by "all intents and purposes"?
One cannot purchase a new firearm from an FFL if you have a cannabis card. All medical states have the same statutes. I would link you...sorry..only web is my phone. Can't access all the functions. Its a fed vs state problem. Thing is, you get cops in your house, have a card and guns....guess what? They take your guns. Its a crock.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:39 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:

He is far too involved with the stroke of his putter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies