Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:51 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times

Advertisements

LE will abuse it's power until the citizens demand transparency and accountability. The Border Patrol violates the law and our constitution with virtual impunity. But many people don't care since most of the victims are illegal aliens. Other people say "I don't care if they make illegal stops since I have nothing to hide". That's pure BS and has contributed to LE abuse of power.
---------------------------------
Rather than detain the three Honduran women and bring them to the McAllen holding center, a 300-bed unit that some nights this spring hosted more than 1,000 people, (Border Patrol Agent) Manzanares locked the women in the back of his Ford patrol truck—and drove them around the scrubland surrounding McAllen for an hour or two. It was a perfectly lovely South Texas day—sunny, low 70s, a bit cool for that time of year....

Then he stopped his truck in a wooded area. He raped both the mother and the daughter. He slit the mother’s wrists and tried to break the daughter’s neck, leaving them for dead in the brush.........

The FBI in McAllen had gotten used to investigating assaults and misconduct among Border Patrol agents; it had become the field office’s top criminal priority.

Read more: The Green Monster - Garrett M. Graff - POLITICO Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 02:58 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,474,039 times
That agent committed suicide later that same day when the FBI closed in on him. I wouldn't condemn the whole Border Patrol as "out of control" just as I wouldn't condemn the whole US Army because they have some bad apples in the hoosegow.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
That agent committed suicide later that same day when the FBI closed in on him. I wouldn't condemn the whole Border Patrol as "out of control" just as I wouldn't condemn the whole US Army because they have some bad apples in the hoosegow.
Did you read this part?

"The FBI in McAllen had gotten used to investigating assaults and misconduct among Border Patrol agents; it had become the field office’s top criminal priority."

In other words, the Border Patrol has enough criminals to become TOP PRIORITY for the FBI. And they have a practice of covering up their crimes. Hmmm..... Yes, the entire Border Patrol is out of control

Old 11-03-2014, 05:19 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Agreed.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:35 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Attacking all men and women on uniform due to actions of one, or few criminal(s) is pretty much the norm these days.

It is ironic that the same people who claim that illegal immigrants are criminals and should treated as such, or worse, should be shot at the border, suddenly make bleeding heart emotional arguments when few immigrants are mistreated.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
The Border Patrol has more than their fair share of bad apples though.
This is a growing problem. Not all the stories make the national news.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Attacking all men and women on uniform due to actions of one criminal is pretty much the norm these days.
One criminal? Can you read? I posted several links and if you google it you will find an endless list of abuse. And they try to cover up most of them. Even the FBI says it's prevalent.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Attacking all men and women on uniform due to actions of one, or few criminal(s) is pretty much the norm these days.

It is ironic that the same people who claim that illegal immigrants are criminals and should treated as such, or worse, should be shot at the border, suddenly make bleeding heart emotional arguments when few immigrants are mistreated.
Did you read this part?

"Kerlikowske had already known that the Border Patrol was troubled, of course: It had taken 1,870 days into the Obama administration before he even became the first Senate-confirmed commissioner of the Obama era, and he was well aware he didn’t have much time to right an agency that was beset by corruption problems and excessive force complaints, the unfortunate legacies of a massive hiring surge that had doubled the force’s size in just a few years after 9/11. That lying and obfuscation had often accompanied the scandals was no real surprise either."

“We had a history of not addressing things as directly as we should,” Kerlikowske told me when we met this fall in his office at the Reagan Building.

Kerlikowske wanted to use the Manzanares attack as an opportunity to show that on his watch, the agency would be different—more forthright and transparent. But it wouldn’t be easy: He wrote a first draft of a statement he wanted to send out immediately, but CBP officials blocked their own new commissioner. They were nervous about admitting fault so quickly. CBP’s longstanding policy had been to hold off for days, weeks, months and even years before addressing publicly any misconduct inciden

Read more: The Green Monster - Garrett M. Graff - POLITICO Magazine

"beset by corruption"...... cover up a murder......

So they had a habit of covering up their crimes for "days, weeks, months and even years".

Pathetic.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:30 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
I thought right wingers wanted more border patrol officers to protect our border with Mexico?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies