Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 09:27 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
No, not interested. The average conservative is just as bad as a shrill liberal.
Your guilty consciences may force you to vote Democratic, but we both know that deep down you want a cold-hearted Republican who’ll cut taxes, brutalize criminals, step on poor people and rule you like a king.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 09:36 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Did the election results or projected results have anything to do with you choosing today to distance yourself from, and calling out, the crazies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I just think there's a lot of hypocrisy in general. I'm pretty left wing myself but one of the things that attracted me to the Left and liberalism was I believed it was pacifist since they tend to oppose war and the death penalty but boy was I wrong.

They will chastise people for any sort of criticism of blacks, Muslims, women or immigrants but then will go and make a sweeping statement about white people, men, Southerners, Christians or some other group that is privileged or considered the standard. I'm a poor, white, non-neurotypical atheist male so I am in between being "privileged" and "oppressed" in their intersectional view but I will always be lumped in with the privileged because the white male is by far the important thing to them.

It seems like rather than actually wanting equality they want to impose some kind of censorship or punishment to "make things even". That worked great in Rwanda and Zimbabwe right?

Even worse it seems like there is a movement to destroy all of the principles the Enlightenment brought and replacing them with cultural relativism. I'm sorry but I think Western culture in many ways is superior to other cultures. On average Westerners have the most compassion for other cultures, animals, women, the poor and other downtrodden groups by far. Ironically political correctness threatens that because it silences people from criticizing any bigotry or barbarism that's not being committed by white people.

I also don't like this whole "everything is a construct" thing, denying the reality of everything of everything aside from everything supposedly being relative. While I'm pro-choice I think it's a very slippery slope towards the idea of killing another human being going from being gravely wrong to being "a choice" or OK if you feel like it. A little autistic boy was just killed by his mother yesterday in my home state; he was thrown off a bridge and many people were saying they empathized with the mother's choice because the kid was a burden on Mom. This is what I mean by the pro-choice mentality being at its core selfish.

And I'm sorry if you have a penis you're a man if you have a vagina you're a woman, the only time it's fuzzy is with intersex conditions. Your sex isn't an oppressive construct created by the Man it's a biological reality. A man saying he's a woman is no more logical than him saying he's a child or a cat because he "things like one". I don't think trans people should be harmed and I think they should be free to get the surgeries done if they want and I'll try to respect their pronouns out of respect, but I don't really agree with the idea philosophically.

And the argument you can't be racist if you're a person of color is ridiculous. The dictionary definition of racism is someone who believes some races are better than others. It doesn't matter if you're the advantaged race or not if you believe some races are superior to others you are a racist. Racism is not an institutional thing in American law and hasn't been since 1965. Crooked racist cops are individual racists and not symptoms of white supremacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies