Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 06:20 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,656,643 times

Advertisements

Less than one in a million.

Betrayal aversion. Google it, OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 06:33 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,748,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Do you have any proof that the flu vaccine has decreased the death rate from the flu?
How do you prove something like that? Flu shots are like a crap shoot at best, scientist guess at which virus will be most prevalent that season and produce a vaccine for those virus's. There is no guarantee the strain that hits will be included in the shot, but it still offers some protection even against the ones that aren't included, by stimulating the immune system, thus reducing symptoms. With that said, I get a flu shot every year and have not had the flu or reaction to the shot in over 30 years. Also, I do not believe there have been any pandemics (in U.S.) since flu shots have been given on a massive scale.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:37 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,722,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
How do you prove something like that? Flu shots are like a crap shoot at best, scientist guess at which virus will be most prevalent that season and produce a vaccine for those virus's. There is no guarantee the strain that hits will be included in the shot, but it still offers some protection even against the ones that aren't included, by stimulating the immune system, thus reducing symptoms. With that said, I get a flu shot every year and have not had the flu or reaction to the shot in over 30 years. Also, I do not believe there have been any pandemics (in U.S.) since flu shots have been given on a massive scale.
You look at the death rate prior to the introduction of the flu vaccine and after. So far I have seen zero evidence that he flu shot decreases death from the flu.

I have only gotten one flu shot in my life and it was 20 years ago. The last time I had the flu was more then 30 years ago.

In 2009 we saw the "swine Flu Pandemic" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic

Old 11-05-2014, 06:50 AM

15,858 posts, read 21,421,245 times
Quote:
You look at the death rate prior to the introduction of the flu vaccine and after. So far I have seen zero evidence that he flu shot decreases death from the flu.

I have only gotten one flu shot in my life and it was 20 years ago. The last time I had the flu was more then 30 years ago.

In 2009 we saw the "swine Flu Pandemic" 2009 flu pandemic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Russian flu had a .15% mortality rate. The Spanish Flu had a 2.5% mortality rate with up to 35% of the world's population.

The last pandemic in 2009 only had a .03% mortality rate as well as far less people initially infected. Of course, we have better medical protocols now so the number you really want to look at is total infected.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The Russian flu had a .15% mortality rate. The Spanish Flu had a 2.5% mortality rate with up to 35% of the world's population.

The last pandemic in 2009 only had a .03% mortality rate as well as far less people initially infected. Of course, we have better medical protocols now so the number you really want to look at is total infected.
OK, so where is the proof that the flu vaccine prevents deaths. That is what was claimed earlier in the thread and that is what I had responded to. No one can prove that the flu prevents deaths because there is no proof that it prevents deaths. People just believe that it does because that is what they have been told.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:04 AM

15,858 posts, read 21,421,245 times
Quote:
OK, so where is the proof that the flu vaccine prevents deaths. That is what was claimed earlier in the thread and that is what I had responded to. No one can prove that it prevents deaths because there is no proof that it prevents deaths. People just believe that it does because that is what they have been told.
It prevents people from getting it, which prevents deaths. I can't speak to further prevention steps because I do not have a medical background, though I can say I was recommended by my doctor to get it because it can reduce symptoms if I do get the flu (and I am a high risk patient even with the vaccine).

Old 11-05-2014, 07:06 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,453,975 times
It is likely not the flu shot;

https://www.yahoo.com/health/did-the...767796307.html

Her parents are convinced that the vaccination is what triggered Marysue’s condition. “Yes, it is possible,” said Dr. Aaron Boster, an Ohio State University neuroimmunologist who specializes in ADEM and similar conditions. “About 5 percent of all cases of ADEM might be triggered by a recent immunization.”

More often, though, ADEM is associated with a recent infection, not an immunization. “You could develop ADEM as a consequence of the flu,” said Dr. Emmanuelle Waubant, a professor of neurology at the University of California, San Francisco. “If you look at the incidence of ADEM related to infections versus cases related to vaccines, there are actually much fewer with vaccines than with infections.”

Old 11-05-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It prevents people from getting it, which prevents deaths. I can't speak to further prevention steps because I do not have a medical background, though I can say I was recommended by my doctor to get it because it can reduce symptoms if I do get the flu (and I am a high risk patient even with the vaccine).
I would love to see proof of this. I have tried to find this information before and there is absolutely no proof that the flu vaccine prevents death from flu (or rather, complications from the flu because no one actually dies from the flu, they die from complications).

Old 11-05-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It is likely not the flu shot;

https://www.yahoo.com/health/did-the...767796307.html

Her parents are convinced that the vaccination is what triggered Marysue’s condition. “Yes, it is possible,” said Dr. Aaron Boster, an Ohio State University neuroimmunologist who specializes in ADEM and similar conditions. “About 5 percent of all cases of ADEM might be triggered by a recent immunization.”

More often, though, ADEM is associated with a recent infection, not an immunization. “You could develop ADEM as a consequence of the flu,” said Dr. Emmanuelle Waubant, a professor of neurology at the University of California, San Francisco. “If you look at the incidence of ADEM related to infections versus cases related to vaccines, there are actually much fewer with vaccines than with infections.”
In her case, she likely was one of the 5% who's ADEM was triggered by the vaccine considering the timing.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:12 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,880,285 times
The flu can cause many complications short of death. Most people who take the flu shot simply don't want to or can't deal with being seriously ill for weeks- especially if they are otherwise vulnerable. Some never the get the flu at all- it's an individual thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies