Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 03:43 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
If you say so. How about the right's media always spinning everything as negative? Is it ok when your side does it only?
Couldn't say. I don't really watch it. I have CNN on during the day most of the time - usually muted (I work at home). Other than that, I tend to read most of my news on the internet and there's really no one source where I get information. For the election however, I did tune into the various cable news channels and it was striking to me on how some of these pundits have changed their tunes in recent years. I have noticed that MSBNC's internet articles have not dramatically changed in tone or tenor though so it would seem to be only the pundits on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 03:43 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
And how many people live in Texas.......
There are 13 million registered voters in Texas.

5 million voted. Half of them Women, half of them Hispanic voted for Abbott. That says a lot about the way women & minorities feel about Texas Democrats. It helps he doesn't discriminate against race or disability & even has a Hispanic wife.

Everyone knew Abbott was going to get it anyways even though Davis had more hard core supporters (100,000 more) on her social media website. The fact is, if all Republicans voted it would've been more like a 30-40 point loss. We had to give them some glimmer of hope to turn Texas blue or purple. We gave her a head start & still humiliated her at the finish line with a 20 point loss.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:45 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Seriously. We do not need to get embroiled in impeachment talks. The GOP has won an opportunity and impeachment would derail it. It would be better to show the entire country that it's always been Obama who has been unwilling to compromise instead of the GOP. What Obama uses his magic pen on today can be easily wiped away with another pen stroke by a Republican President. Our goal should be showing the country that the GOP is the best choice to govern this country and frankly, talk of impeachment would not do so.

The issue is that a congress needs a president that will follow protocol, the law and actually values the ideas of said congress verses disregarding them and using his pen signing in laws what he thinks we should have, etc.......,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Just heard Obama say that he takes the election as a voter imperative for him to work harder to break the Washington gridlock and "get stuff done." He still thinks that the answer to America's problems is EVEN MORE government.

The stroke of his pen on his whim - that's so sadly all it'll boil down to in the end. Hope that I'm proven wrong.

America already spends 41.6% of GDP on government (Economic Data and Statistics on World Economy and Economic Freedom). That's like a business facing bankruptcy after continually spending over 40% of its budget on bureaucratic paperwork--and the CEO deciding that the solution was to double the bean-counting budget!

Of course, no legitimate business would still exist after 40 years of spending far more than it received (actually, confiscated) in income. And no business is able to quietly avoid paying back the true value of the money it spent, by devaluating the currency--and minimizing debt costs by artificially holding interest rates at near-zero.

But wait, there's hope for America! If you object to Washington's Big Government, big spending, big debt policies (which have caused every generation born after 1960 to work harder than their parents did, while earning less), then you can be part of the solution! Participate in the political process, post on boards like this and cite studies and information so that others can learn, and VOTE, and get your friends to vote! You can trust Big Government to make sure election computers have been programmed 100% honestly, since the ultra-wealthy that buy the politicians would never use the influence they've bought to protect their power and their multi-billion dollar bank accounts!

Don't think about the fact that your vote is 100% nullified unless your views match those of the majority of voters: that easily-manipulated, intellectually-challenged, mass of people who think the most important quality of a leader is that he is unusually tall. Since it doesn't matter if the loser got 1% of the vote, or 48%, your vote is 100% worthless.

And even when public discontent is overwhelming (like now), 2 years between elections is a long time to wait to tell Big Government you aren't happy. You don't get to vote for a candidate you really like, you only get to vote for one of the two Big Government, big spending clones (that differ only in fringe issues they have little power to influence, and that only affect a tiny minority of Americans). And consequently, the vast majority of elections change absolutely nothing (with the exception of the reign of our Sacred Cow POTUS, of course).

Old 11-05-2014, 03:48 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Time to take the Hip Hop out of the Whitehouse.
Lolz and replace it with what? Where's the republican plan for healthcare? They got one besides campaigning on repealing Obamacare?

My concern is republicans campaigned on being anti Obama, now they got congress back, lets see if they are nothing more than hope and change version 2.0.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
There are 13 million registered voters in Texas.

5 million voted. Half of them Women, half of them Hispanic voted for Abbott. That says a lot about the way women & minorities feel about Texas Democrats. It helps he doesn't discriminate against race or disability & even has a Hispanic wife.

Everyone knew Abbott was going to get it anyways even though Davis had more hard core supporters (100,000 more) on her social media website. The fact is, if all Republicans voted it would've been more like a 30-40 point loss. We had to give them some glimmer of hope to turn Texas blue or purple. We gave her a head start & still humiliated her at the finish line with a 20 point loss.
It also helps Texas is gerrymandered heavily in favor of rural, Republican voter areas. You wouldn't guess Texas is one of the most urbanized states based off the policies coming from the state capital that tilt heavily towards rural interests. Eventually, that will backfire and cause Texas to be purple. I actually don't care if it ever becomes democrat, we just need republicans are more moderate and progressive towards issues that make our cities (where practically everyone lives) better.

As far as voter turnout, Texas is still one of the lower states. I'll have to check the numbers and see if yours are correct. Here's a great article by the Economist on the overall state of elections in Texas:

Texas's voter-ID law: So, is it suppressing voters? | The Economist

Old 11-05-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Couldn't say. I don't really watch it. I have CNN on during the day most of the time - usually muted (I work at home). Other than that, I tend to read most of my news on the internet and there's really no one source where I get information. For the election however, I did tune into the various cable news channels and it was striking to me on how some of these pundits have changed their tunes in recent years. I have noticed that MSBNC's internet articles have not dramatically changed in tone or tenor though so it would seem to be only the pundits on TV.
Hmmmm.... if you say so.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:32 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
And every day how many thousands of teens turn 18? How many brown people become eligible to vote?

Unless they start making more white people, the Republicans are in trouble. This stuff we're arguing now is short-term. Long-term is another story, and you know it.

If White Americans Don

For proof that times are a changin', all we need do is look to the polls for gay marriage and marijuana. If you told me ten years ago that 32 states would recognize gay marriage, I'd have said you were nuts.

32 States with Legal Gay Marriage and 18 States with Same-Sex Marriage Bans - Gay Marriage - ProCon.org

Millennials are not deluded. And they are already taking over the country. My supervisor is one. The software company I work for is full of young people in high positions, and they're whip-smart.

Get with the program or be left behind. The America you thought you knew--the Leave it to Beaver America that never existed--is long gone.
You imagine 'brown people' will vote Democrat. Is that because black people do? How racist.

Leftists are unable to anticipate the consequences of their actions. Always.

The oldest Millenial is in their 30's. Democrats believe they are still children at age 26, and most still are.

They won't be taking over the country until they grow up.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:07 PM

580 posts, read 449,924 times
Quote:
I heard the same thing. What arrogance to completely ignore the electorate!
The irony in this post is...fascinating.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:17 PM

580 posts, read 449,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
They won't move to impeach, they have better purpose for him than that. To start with a storm of bills to be signed will show exactly where his allegiances lie. Once he pulls out his veto pen we will see who the true obstructionist is.
We know who the 'obstructionists' are...have you been asleep for 6 years perchance?

Old 11-05-2014, 05:19 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski View Post
The irony in this post is...fascinating.
No irony. I recognized that the electorate voted for big government when they voted in Obama. I also recognized that the electorate came to their senses and repudiated this big government style of Obama's yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies