Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 01:44 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The national uninsured rate among working age-adults dropped from 20 percent in July–September 2013 to 15 percent in April–June 2014.---Commonwealth Fund Survey
Yes, that was because it JUMPED to 20% after ACA was passed...

Did you miss that part of the equation? MILLIONS LOST INSURANCE, so others could obtain it.. Thats a FACT

15% though is about 60 million uninsured, so I'd question that figure since the uninsured is estimated to be about 41 milion. Maybe that difference is illegals, which dont count but that doesnt preclude the figures I posted. You cant ignore those who lost insurance and pretend they dont exist. The CBO said we will NEVER get below 30 million uninsured and you guys are proclaiming its a success, despite claims that it would insure every american...

Do 30+ million not having insurance not matter all of a sudden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 01:45 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,667,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post

As to if Americans understand or not Obamacare, I can't say that for sure one way or the other. I would think, given the intense media coverage of the issue, that the electorate has a pretty decent understanding of the law.
Oh yes, the media, and Americans' understanding of the law. It's pretty decent indeed. Remember Jimmy Kimmel's brilliant bit on that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMSKO4xCVTM

"Do you agree with the ACA or Obamacare?"

"ACA."

"And why is that better?"

"I just don't agree with the whole...Obamacare...thing that is going on...I just don't agree with it."

Another guy said Obamacare is "un-American" but the ACA is not.

This is a failure of the media and their insatiable appetite for lapping up talking points and running with them.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:46 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Oh yes, the media, and Americans' understanding of the law. It's pretty decent indeed. Remember Jimmy Kimmel's brilliant bit on that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMSKO4xCVTM

"Do you agree with the ACA or Obamacare?"

"ACA."

"And why is that better?"

"I just don't agree with the whole...Obamacare...thing that is going on...I just don't agree with it."

Another guy said Obamacare is "un-American" but the ACA is not.

This is a failure of the media and their insatiable appetite for lapping up talking points and running with them.
Yes anecdotes from a comedian. That's a great statistical sampling.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:48 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Your poll says 48% say it is just about right or did not go far enough......

Lately I have been hearing libertarians and conservatives talk about favoring single payer.
You must be listening to the voices in your head.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:48 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
It does seem to be where lefties get their news..

Old 11-05-2014, 01:50 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,667,971 times
Quote:
Right, it's satire. But there's a grain of truth in satire. Hell, don't take Jimmy Kimmel's word for it. Every poll out there says people don't like Obamacare, but then you ask them about what it does, and it's "Oh, yes I support that."

Old 11-05-2014, 01:50 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
Same as when the electorate voted in Obama. I knew he was for big government. He was clear about that. I recognized that the electorate chose that path. I hoped that they would come to their senses. I want to believe the midterms was showing that to be true - we did come to our sense. Yes, 2016 will be a litmus test, not only for how much the electorate wants their Federal government involved in their daily lives but also on how the GOP has performed at governing from Congress the past two years.

I'm not a person who denies the reality. I'm pretty reasonable actually. But I ask the same. The numbers with which the Republicans won last night was not simply from some Democrats staying home. We won the Independents and where the Independents go, the elections goes.

As to if Americans understand or not Obamacare, I can't say that for sure one way or the other. I would think, given the intense media coverage of the issue, that the electorate has a pretty decent understanding of the law.
I think your grasp of reality is highly partisan. I speculated over the last year that the Republicans would do very well while holding hope the democrats might retain Senate Control. I did not get my wish but I certainly was in no way surprised. Obama has simply lost the confidence and, worse, the support of his constituency. But don't get carried away with that. The taste for Republican Congressional folk is even lower.

So come 2016 the constituency rises to support Hilary or whomever. And rolls the Republicans back down to the loyal opposition. Probably less hostile as the Tea Party ebbs.

As to ACA much of the Right Wing coverage was non-factual, emotional and wrong. And that is what a number of those people have in their heads.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:51 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Interesting perspective. I think we all agreed there were certainly broken components to healthcare pre-Obamacare. Frankly, I think people rejected the idea that a minimum healthcare policy must include things they do not need and thus increase the cost. I think people liked the idea that they wouldn't be without insurance due to pre-existing conditions that were more lawyering than anything else. I think people do not like mandates and it's in line with American's independent spirit.

I do think the right path for the GOP is to alter, even significantly in some cases, Obamacare as it stands now. I do not think it's to the Democrats' benefit to try and significantly increase government in their healthcare. I long suspected Americans did not favor that approach and this poll reflects that feeling.

I do think it's an excellent opportunity for a big win for the GOP if they can come in and fix healthcare. That would be something to run on for sure (speaking from a purely political perspective).
I think most people were already paying for things they didn't need. This just became a talking point. But when I worked for a big corporation, the insurance policy included pre-natal care. The men didn't care that that was part of the insurance package.

Your version is to simply pass a law preventing insurance companies from denying coverage based on pre-existing conditions. Nothing else. Which will do nothing to deal with the very real crisis at hand. A crisis that neither the Republicans not Obama really have done much to explain to people. But IT is a crisis. The cost of healthcare in the United States is significantly higher than it is in other countries. Americans don't realize that we aren't just subsidizing the healthcare of uninsured people in the United States, we are subsidizing healthcare globally. The lobbyists for healthcare and insurance aren't just representing American companies, they are representing global companies, with global markets, and part of their agenda is to keep the money flowing from American pockets. Someone in Nigeria gets a MRI for $100.00? That's because the rest of the tab is picked up by Americans in the form of overcharges. The reason why heart surgery costs less at one hospital and more at another, because there's no transparency in charges, and because health networks are run by GLOBAL companies.

The components aren't what's broken. The entire system is corrupted. And it was designed to become corrupted, right from the start. The reason universal healthcare works in other countries, even when those systems are overwhelmed during financial downturns or by baby-boom demographics, is because it's impossible for the costs not to be transparent, it's possible for costs to be controlled.

The mandate was a step designed to give the government leverage, so that costs could be controlled.

If you don't understand that the problem is not a lack of healthcare availability, the problem is costs, then you don't understand the situation.

If you don't understand that every country has limits on its economic resources at any given point in time, and if one particular industry is consuming the bulk of those economic resources which means that other industries cannot grow because the economic resources aren't available, then you don't understand the crisis that the United States faces.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:51 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
Name one "life choice" that you had in 1994 that you do not have now.
The choice to forgo health insurance.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:52 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
Quote:
Right, it's satire. But there's a grain of truth in satire. Hell, don't take Jimmy Kimmel's word for it. Every poll out there says people don't like Obamacare, but then you ask them about what it does, and it's "Oh, yes I support that."
The polls show they like pieces of it. Something I already said but it's too large and too flawed. This has been borne time and again in the polls showing its unpopularity. I think the GOP has a great opportunity to be the ones to fix healthcare and fix this terribly flawed law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies