Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 05:42 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
What a load of hogwash if I've heard it. Both Republican and Democrat politicians worship one thing---the greenback dollar and power. Yes, the American people may believe in freedom, liberty and the Constitution---but most in-power politicians are not "in it" for those things. Deep down, Americans know this and that's why there's so much unrest in this country. We need public servants who are not beholden to super PACS, big corporations, and banksters and Wall Street gangsters. The only way to truly uphold freedom, liberty and the Constitution is to support an independent movement. The other two bully parties need a rude awakening.
So, the dollar is how we measure value...including our value to each other. One who becomes useful to the rest of society gets dollars in exchange for that value.

The typical progressive agenda calls for passing out the benefits of modern life to people as sort of a prize for breathing. A much more prosperous system can be built on a system where we exchange value for what we want on a voluntary basis--in which each one of us is free to unlock whatever fraction of our own potential that we desire, mostly for our own benefit.

Public servants, PACS, big corporations, banksters, Wall Street....not everyone believes (as progressives apparently do) that you can gut our financial system and still be prosperous. PACS raise and spend about half as much as we spend on Halloween candy every year: is this really a problem? Big corporations help provide us with food and clothing and energy and transportation and everything else we need.

We the people just voted in accord with our best interest. This is why Republicans have more House members than any time in eighty years. It is why Dem governors got tossed out, and Republican governors got elected or re-elected. Finally, gloriously, it is why the biggest obstructionist in Washington, Harry Reid is out of the job of Senate Majority Leader.

A fair number of people, you included, voted against your best interest. Unless, of course, you insist on gaining the benefits of modern life without contributing to the rest of society. This is the immoral ethic of the modern mainstream Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 05:44 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
What unions wrought scores & decades ago does not bring a free pass on all else for all of perpetuity.
They are not a god.
Most conservatives and Republicans benefit from the myriad of government benefits much more than Democrats who are picking up the tab for Medicare, Tricare, VA, Medicaid, SS, and the $520 billion defense bill. Ever taken a look at a Tea Party rally? No one has a job...but everyone has a check or benefit.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:50 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
The problem, OP, is that you're assuming the voters best interests are what YOU think their best interests are. Have you ever considered for even a moment that each person is able to determine for themselves what is and is not in their best interests?

Old 11-05-2014, 05:52 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
I agree with the kid.Dems should be able to the same benefits republicans get.This is 2014 and to deny dems SS benefits any longer is a crime.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:52 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
The majority of people are in excellent health with no serious chronic health conditions, so can't see how it's in their best interest for the government to get involved in health care.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:54 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
So we're greedy and selfish if we vote our own self interest but we are voting against our own self interest?

The obots aren't just moving the goalposts, they have them on wheels and have them careening about the countryside.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:59 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
It is astounding how quickly people start with the ME ME ME mentality? I am talking about the red-state working class (and poor) people who vote Republican. If you fit into that category, then I can only assume you're either afraid or too stupid to know what's good for you. If you don't fit the bill, fine. Their policies and idealogy work against what any intelligent, thinking person from the working class (or poor) would believe to be in their best interest: Good jobs, decent wages, 1st world healthcare, effective and properly funded schools, etc. Republicans are NOT for these things! Most people don't give a flying fig about the community as a whole---it's a ME ME ME mentality in this country.
So the democrats are really the party of greedy, selfish people. People who want someone else to pay for them and who are too stupid to think for themselves should vote democrat in your opinion. That explains how Obama got elected twice.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Election year after election year, oodles of people in our great land continually vote for politicians and platforms that do not and will not in the future serve their best interests for the long term. Why do people do this? It's always baffled me why so many working-class and poor (and non-working poor for that matter) vote Republican. In a nutshell, Republicans are generally against: unions, a higher minimum wage, Medicaid expansion, protecting Social Security, national healthcare, funding of public schools, unemployment extensions, sex education, sensible gun laws, safety nets, social programs, jobs bills that would put people back to work, a woman's right to choose, the list goes on and on. Why on earth do the people that suffer the most from the Republican effort continue to vote for them?

I don't care what you call yourself--"right-wing", "conservative", a "Christian"--blah blah blah. None of those silly monikers matter. So many very poor Southerners and other working poor from the so-called "red" states vote Republican. Are you really OK and content living at the poverty line? Are you really OK with no access to decent healthcare? If you are--by all means, keep voting as you do. But to be fair, Democrats do not offer anything much better. Both parties are essentially the same--they prop up big business and banks. And to hell with the rest of us. They just want us to think we have a choice---like picking our favorite football team. It's such a charade!

It is time to start voting for independent candidates. The two major parties in the U.S. need some real competition---from people who truly care about this country and all who are in it. We need to do this together and not let one or two issues divide us so much. It's okay to disagree, but we must work together to take back the country from the greed-driven criminals running it.
Because that is the problem now. Democratic part is a collection of alot special interest all wanting funding spent on their special interest; typical called self greed. One only had to see the markup of the ACA to see the special interest all loading on their self interest to the bill. Its why the democratic party is called the party of tax and spend and lately tax others and spend on me. Its pretty much what happened in Greece. Politics became a contest on which politicians could promise more government jobs not needed and more free stuff. It basic became a nation of little industry and huge debt to pay for it all.I saw two stories on it that I found astonishing. One woman who wanted to open a book store and coffee shop. One year to get clearance by government red tape to sell books and still two years before she can sell coffee. Another a crew that was hired to drain a lake twenty years before and still on government payrolls with no one knowing what they have been doing since lake was drained within one year. I guess Op always thinks first of self interest and not of the nations interest.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:05 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,931,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Unless, of course, you insist on gaining the benefits of modern life without contributing to the rest of society. This is the immoral ethic of the modern mainstream Democrat.
This ^^^---more hogwash. Are you seriously saying that those who consider themselves Democrats don't contribute to the rest of society? Some of the most significant societal contributions in the USA were founded on Democratic ideals---ever heard of FDR's New Deal? Much of what makes our country unique and special is that we do care about everyone---or at least I thought we did.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:06 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
So we're greedy and selfish if we vote our own self interest but we are voting against our own self interest?

The obots aren't just moving the goalposts, they have them on wheels and have them careening about the countryside.
But the Dems are still the ones picking up the tab for the average Tea Partier-conservative-Republican who depend on those checks and health care benefits. Thank a Dem next time you change government paid health care providers. The Republican base doesn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies