Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 06:08 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
The problem, OP, is that you're assuming the voters best interests are what YOU think their best interests are. Have you ever considered for even a moment that each person is able to determine for themselves what is and is not in their best interests?
That's just it---I don't think they can! Most specifically, the working-class and poor voters who continually vote for Republicans seem very stupid to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 06:11 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
That's just it---I don't think they can! Most specifically, the working-class and poor voters who continually vote for Republicans seem very stupid to me.
How so non-judgmental of you. Seriously, that's awfully presumptuous to think you're so much better than so many people.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:11 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
mitch today in his news conference said " we can agree with the Pres. on foreign Trade agreements"

Nafta that has worked so well, a Republican Congress and a Dem. Pres.

Today is the TPP. Me I am retired I do not need to worry about someone from Chile or Viet Nam working for 25 cents a day and taking my job.

Just Remember you won, yes you won.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
The problem is quite simply too many what's in it for me in this nation. Op says one thing in opening statement then says he cares about everyone. No one said all democrats but certainly the so called progressives. It was in fact FDR who started the assembly of special interest with the party to get elected. His new deal was a government jobs for people in the great depression; not a free stuff program involving no work.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:18 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
How so non-judgmental of you. Seriously, that's awfully presumptuous to think you're so much better than so many people.
I am not better than other people. But I may be more awake and informed than many. I stand by my original assertion that the poor and working-class voters who vote Republican are fearful, delusional, distracted, and yes--somewhat stupid.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:19 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Election year after election year, oodles of people in our great land continually vote for politicians and platforms that do not and will not in the future serve their best interests for the long term. Why do people do this? It's always baffled me why so many working-class and poor (and non-working poor for that matter) vote Republican. In a nutshell, Republicans are generally against: unions, a higher minimum wage, Medicaid expansion, protecting Social Security, national healthcare, funding of public schools, unemployment extensions, sex education, sensible gun laws, safety nets, social programs, jobs bills that would put people back to work, a woman's right to choose, the list goes on and on. Why on earth do the people that suffer the most from the Republican effort continue to vote for them?

I don't care what you call yourself--"right-wing", "conservative", a "Christian"--blah blah blah. None of those silly monikers matter. So many very poor Southerners and other working poor from the so-called "red" states vote Republican. Are you really OK and content living at the poverty line? Are you really OK with no access to decent healthcare? If you are--by all means, keep voting as you do. But to be fair, Democrats do not offer anything much better. Both parties are essentially the same--they prop up big business and banks. And to hell with the rest of us. They just want us to think we have a choice---like picking our favorite football team. It's such a charade!

It is time to start voting for independent candidates. The two major parties in the U.S. need some real competition---from people who truly care about this country and all who are in it. We need to do this together and not let one or two issues divide us so much. It's okay to disagree, but we must work together to take back the country from the greed-driven criminals running it.
I work at a large firm in corporate law. The very detailed memos circulating today were regarding what may change and who may sit on different committees in the future due to the election. The gist of it all is that it does not bode well for consumers. Banking and insurance interests will have much more influence with the 'new' Republican congress. All those voters thinking they are 'fixing' everything are going to be really surprised when they see how they, as consumers, will be screwed over in the future by the large financial interests. Who do they think financed all these 'grassroots' and 'local' campaigns? Big out-of-state money.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:21 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
I am not better than other people. But I may be more awake and informed than many. I stand by my original assertion that the poor and working-class voters who vote Republican are fearful, delusional, distracted, and yes--somewhat stupid.
I can't imagine why they're not flocking over to your side when this is what you think of them. Seriously, I strongly disagree with the reasons that some people vote Democrat but I wouldn't presume to think I'm better than them. I try, instead, to sway them to understanding why their interests would be best served by voting GOP after actually listening to their concerns. In some cases, I agree that their best interests ARE to vote Democrat instead of declaring them to not be smart enough to know their own minds. You do realize this is more telling about you than it is about those people you are denigrating, right?

Old 11-05-2014, 06:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Election year after election year, oodles of people in our great land continually vote for politicians and platforms that do not and will not in the future serve their best interests for the long term. Why do people do this? It's always baffled me why so many working-class and poor (and non-working poor for that matter) vote Republican. In a nutshell, Republicans are generally against: unions, a higher minimum wage, Medicaid expansion, protecting Social Security, national healthcare, funding of public schools, unemployment extensions, sex education, sensible gun laws, safety nets, social programs, jobs bills that would put people back to work, a woman's right to choose, the list goes on and on. Why on earth do the people that suffer the most from the Republican effort continue to vote for them?

I don't care what you call yourself--"right-wing", "conservative", a "Christian"--blah blah blah. None of those silly monikers matter. So many very poor Southerners and other working poor from the so-called "red" states vote Republican. Are you really OK and content living at the poverty line? Are you really OK with no access to decent healthcare? If you are--by all means, keep voting as you do. But to be fair, Democrats do not offer anything much better. Both parties are essentially the same--they prop up big business and banks. And to hell with the rest of us. They just want us to think we have a choice---like picking our favorite football team. It's such a charade!

It is time to start voting for independent candidates. The two major parties in the U.S. need some real competition---from people who truly care about this country and all who are in it. We need to do this together and not let one or two issues divide us so much. It's okay to disagree, but we must work together to take back the country from the greed-driven criminals running it.

My best interest is liberty,
Not to suck on mommas tit for the rest of my life.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:22 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:

well.... errr.... other than me not recognizing anything you said as being related to reality, i think your thougths are the exact opposite of cogent.

here is my interest.
almost 18 trillion dollars in debt. almost half of that has accrued under the current president.
That means, my interest is to fight that guy tooth and nail.
a healthcare law that is going to break healthcare in this country.
That means my interest is to fight that guy tooth and nail
a labor participation rate that has fallen like a rock
more people on food stamps than ever before
more poor people than weve seen in a generation
more minorities in poverty and jobless than in a generation

i can go on but im tired of typing.

MY INTEREST are NOT in line with the democrat party. THEIR interest is to rob Americans of their natural rights, enslave them to the government dole and to suck up power to an ever smaller number of people. THAT IS THE DEMOCRAT PARTY.

there is nothing about the democrat party that is redeemable. period end of story.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:24 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
oh man there's going to be a run on Preparation H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies