Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 03:10 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I'm guessing the Republicans will fight among them selves for two years. The bills that need to be passed will test their allegiance to their own districts, lobbyist, and large donors. I think the split will be between those who have to worry about being re-elected and those who don't.

There is not much else they can do in the time left before some of them will to start the run for the big chair. The heavy lifting on the economy is mostly done or is it safe to say ,since Obama got unemployment from 10% to 6% the Republicans will get it down another four percent? Or since Obama got the Dow from 7000 to 17000 they are going to get it up to 30000.

If there is all this conservative fervor sweeping the nation why is it I can legally smoke dope, marry a man and have an abortion?
Something like 4% is considered full employment. The only time it really went lower was the start of our entry into WW II.....a lot of the men were off fighting and all the women were working in factories building weapons. I no longer believe the unemployment figures are reliable, they're are people no longer looking for work, too many being under paid and a whole bunch of people working part time jobs. Remember when Obama first took office, they kept referring to "jobs saved"....jobs that would have been lost had it not been for the stimulus. I just don't trust how it's being calculated any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 03:32 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Considering how unpopular gay marriage is, I'd expect that having a new federal ban on gay marriage as well as a ban on gay service men and women will be seen as the republican's greatest achievement.
I think we have more serious issues to talk about. As much as I dislike "gay 'marriage'," it just isn't the most important issue we face.

When we have the IRS using it's power to run roughshod over one segment of society, and when you have a President who thinks he can, by fiat, do anything he wants (and he said it) with the stroke of his pen, we have some serious problems to address, because the Constitution is being completely ignored by one party. That is how they managed to pass Obamacare.

"Progressivism" is poison to freedom and liberty loving Americans. That, more than anything else, is destroying our country.

So, we must address the big issues first. We need to restore Constitutional principles. That's Job No. 1!

Old 11-08-2014, 03:36 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
What exactly are Boehner and McConnell going to 'fix'? It seems like these days, Americans are miserable for the sake of being miserable. They were miserable under Bush and they are miserable under Obama.

Income inequality? It began in the 80s and has been downhill ever since. Yet, the Supreme Court keeps the oligarchy going.

Nobody is going to time travel the country back to the 50s. Get over it.

David Letterman’s monologue 11/4:

“This is what happens when we have the midterm elections. The Republicans, of course, have turned against Obama, and the Democrats have also turned against Obama. That’s a lonely, lonely gig being president, ladies and gentlemen.

“Take a look at this: gas under $3 a gallon – under $3 a gallon. Unemployment under 6%, whoever thought? Stock market breaking records every day. No wonder the guy is so unpopular.”

Why Americans are Miserable and Broke | Fox Business

Old 11-08-2014, 08:49 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Something like 4% is considered full employment. The only time it really went lower was the start of our entry into WW II.....a lot of the men were off fighting and all the women were working in factories building weapons. I no longer believe the unemployment figures are reliable, they're are people no longer looking for work, too many being under paid and a whole bunch of people working part time jobs. Remember when Obama first took office, they kept referring to "jobs saved"....jobs that would have been lost had it not been for the stimulus. I just don't trust how it's being calculated any more.
Unemployment also got well below 4% in the USA's last true Golden age in the mid-1960s when that hopeless old LIBERAL from Texas named LYNDON BAINES JOHNSON ( LBJ for short ) was President. Back in the 1960s working class people shared fully in this nation's prosperity for wages grew as fast as productivity and the GDP. We built infrastructure like nuclear power plants and Interstate Highways.
Heck, we even shot for the Moon and did it while LBJ was still President (Apollo 8, the first manned spacecraft to leave Earth orbit and fly to lunar orbit did so in Dec 1968 a month before Dick Nixon assumed office). We even once believed in helping the poor much of them white people, and that skin color, sexual orientation, sex or religion shouldn't be the basis for your participation in American life. LBJ actually believed we could be "The Great Society" and as a LIBERAL tried to make it so. I am a Liberal like our fallen martyr Bobby Kennedy who said " I dream things that never were, and ask why not!" .

Old 11-09-2014, 12:09 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It would appear that many democrats are disillusioned with their party at the moment.
Not really. Republicans just campaign better.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:14 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I think we have more serious issues to talk about. As much as I dislike "gay 'marriage'," it just isn't the most important issue we face.

When we have the IRS using it's power to run roughshod over one segment of society, and when you have a President who thinks he can, by fiat, do anything he wants (and he said it) with the stroke of his pen, we have some serious problems to address, because the Constitution is being completely ignored by one party. That is how they managed to pass Obamacare.
Well then impeach him already if he's actually abusing his power.... Stop talking and show some action.

Quote:
"Progressivism" is poison to freedom and liberty loving Americans. That, more than anything else, is destroying our country.

So, we must address the big issues first. We need to restore Constitutional principles. That's Job No. 1!
Why would we want to revert back to the 18th century? You realize the Constitution was formed based on the ideas and context of that time period? Specifically, it was based on the philosophies of the Enlightenment, which wasn't right wing during it's time.... The conservatives of the time would more likely be siding with monarchies and the Church.... It's so cute you think otherwise.

You far righties crack me up with this disillusioned talk about a simpler time... You can only go forward.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:16 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,121,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
Speaking as a liberal here, I hope sure as hot Texastan summers that they impeach him over one of their crazy bogeymen, like BENGHAZI!!! It'll be fun to watch, just like it was fun to watch the Repubs impeach Clinton because he got his hose coaxed.

Now, now, now! No revisionist history here, please. Clinton was impeached for perjury and obstruction of justice, not because of his bad choices of women, which in retrospect really was pretty bad!

Old 11-09-2014, 02:35 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Unemployment also got well below 4% in the USA's last true Golden age in the mid-1960s when that hopeless old LIBERAL from Texas named LYNDON BAINES JOHNSON ( LBJ for short ) was President. Back in the 1960s working class people shared fully in this nation's prosperity for wages grew as fast as productivity and the GDP. We built infrastructure like nuclear power plants and Interstate Highways.
Heck, we even shot for the Moon and did it while LBJ was still President (Apollo 8, the first manned spacecraft to leave Earth orbit and fly to lunar orbit did so in Dec 1968 a month before Dick Nixon assumed office). We even once believed in helping the poor much of them white people, and that skin color, sexual orientation, sex or religion shouldn't be the basis for your participation in American life. LBJ actually believed we could be "The Great Society" and as a LIBERAL tried to make it so. I am a Liberal like our fallen martyr Bobby Kennedy who said " I dream things that never were, and ask why not!" .

I was thinking along these lines, myself. IMO, Johnson was the last Democratic president who had cojones. Since then, they've been panty-waists.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:50 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
Now, now, now! No revisionist history here, please. Clinton was impeached for perjury and obstruction of justice, not because of his bad choices of women, which in retrospect really was pretty bad!
Clinton was impeached because he was a Democratic president. Revisionist, indeed.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:02 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,506 times
The obaggers in this thread show us once again that they live on Pluto. Batshyte crazy - all of them. It's no wonder you lost it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies