Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 06:39 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Here is my question. Are we the HAPPIEST people in the world? To me....find the HAPPIEST people and you will find the greatest country.
The Happiest (And Saddest) Countries In The World - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 11:50 PM

128 posts, read 203,199 times
That list only tells you who the happiest people are overall.

The typical American is out of shape, lives paycheck to paycheck in some boring city, dresses like a slob, and is probably on drugs for depression and anxiety. Lazy people may be better off living in European welfare states. I'll never understand why some people choose to live their short lives the way they do, but the US is still the place to live life to its fullest if you're willing to work for it. I don't even make a high income for an American and I'm in my 20s living a nice lifestyle in Southern California with six figures in the bank.

Europeans love bragging about their shorter work weeks and longer vacations, but I could live in many parts of Europe and go the next 10+ years without working.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:08 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege View Post
That list only tells you who the happiest people are overall.

The typical American is out of shape, lives paycheck to paycheck in some boring city, dresses like a slob, and is probably on drugs for depression and anxiety. Lazy people may be better off living in European welfare states. I'll never understand why some people choose to live their short lives the way they do, but the US is still the place to live life to its fullest if you're willing to work for it. I don't even make a high income for an American and I'm in my 20s living a nice lifestyle in Southern California with six figures in the bank.

Europeans love bragging about their shorter work weeks and longer vacations, but I could live in many parts of Europe and go the next 10+ years without working.

Money isn't happiness. Sure it makes some things easier but doesn't make one happy. Most people live paycheck to paycheck because our own government want's to keep us poor. Please don't give me that get a good education crap either. I know many friends who have 4-8 year of college & are still waiting tables, Etc. Yes, most Americans are lazy & fat only because they sit on their phones & or in front on the TV all day. Americans have going complacent taking what they are handed instead of standing up for themselves. Like the video said American's used to stand up for something we've lost that. Food stamps were supposed to help people these days they can & are traded for things like sex, drugs, cash. According to the website below there are 46,700,000 on food stamps & 12,800,000 on welfare. The government spends $131.9 billion on welfare. That's not counting food stamps OR unemployment. Because of outsourcing factory jobs are almost a thing of the past. People who have worked those jobs for years have lost everything when companies LIKE Wal-Mart started it. Tell me how great America is again.

Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain

Old 11-08-2014, 09:37 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I remember when that "controversy" first came out a few yrs ago. I gotta say, I never saw the TV show, but it I did watch that same clip the OP posted here.

It is compelling.

I didn't research all of the points that the character makes, but I believe the "stats" that he listed are most likely correct.

The educational part is one of the big ones that scare me the most. Americans are getting fat dumb and lazy and aren't competing with the rest of the world as well as we should be.

The Chinese are starting to surpass us in a lot of metrics, someone posted a thread on here with graphs and while I don't have a way to really fact check them, it didn't look promising.

I do wonder if America is truly on the decline. Not to get all chicken little here, but it's enough to make ya wonder.

I think America is in for a shift in how we do business over the next several yrs.

I say this with no disrespect to America and still think the country is great. At the end of the day, more people are trying to get here than leave and that still speaks volumes about this nation.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I remember when that "controversy" first came out a few yrs ago. I gotta say, I never saw the TV show, but it I did watch that same clip the OP posted here.

It is compelling.

I didn't research all of the points that the character makes, but I believe the "stats" that he listed are most likely correct.

The educational part is one of the big ones that scare me the most. Americans are getting fat dumb and lazy and aren't competing with the rest of the world as well as we should be.

The Chinese are starting to surpass us in a lot of metrics, someone posted a thread on here with graphs and while I don't have a way to really fact check them, it didn't look promising.

I do wonder if America is truly on the decline. Not to get all chicken little here, but it's enough to make ya wonder.

I think America is in for a shift in how we do business over the next several yrs.

I say this with no disrespect to America and still think the country is great. At the end of the day, more people are trying to get here than leave and that still speaks volumes about this nation.

I don't have kids but I have friends & family who do. That's my fear as well Schools even private as well as public do not teach children anything that can use in the real word. My Gf has two kids one 12 & the other 16. The system is failing them like it did me when I was in school.

You mentioned that people are trying to come & then go out of this country. Yet, it doesn't help that OUR government gives grants to people from OTHER countries to start their own business. I think that money could be used for something better. In the end I would like to believe that this IS a great country. I would like to see it for what it used to be. With that said IF I had unlimited funds I could think of other countries I would rather be.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
America is not the greatest country in the world anymore.
I am sorry you feel that way.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:45 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
To some it's a great place and to others it isn't. You can't paint every place with a broad brush stroke.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am sorry you feel that way.

I'm not naïve enough to believe that this country was ever the greatest, but there was a time it was better. And this comes from someone who loves his country.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:36 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
The metrics don't lie... if were are to judge something you have to measure and quantify and as the vid lays out, we're not the best in those items that were listed.

I think to go around and thump your chest all the time saying you're the greatest country can be a bit obnoxious to other people.

I'm not an American apologist... just a guy with common sense and a guy who thinks that America is a great and worthy country and we do a lot more than other nations do, we're the largest contributor to other countries in times of natural disasters and also do more in terms of good will missions to places such as Africa and other poor third world nations.

There's no gold or bounty or lust for raw material goods in feeding starving kids.....

Old 11-08-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The metrics don't lie... if were are to judge something you have to measure and quantify and as the vid lays out, we're not the best in those items that were listed.

I think to go around and thump your chest all the time saying you're the greatest country can be a bit obnoxious to other people.

I'm not an American apologist... just a guy with common sense and a guy who thinks that America is a great and worthy country and we do a lot more than other nations do, we're the largest contributor to other countries in times of natural disasters and also do more in terms of good will missions to places such as Africa and other poor third world nations.

There's no gold or bounty or lust for raw material goods in feeding starving kids.....

So who helps the poor here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies