Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 03:14 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,050,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Like I said, a mandate saying "all of this energy must come from a domestic supply" is not the type of mandate that you're thinking of. We went from a oil based electrical grid to a coal, natural gas, and nuclear supply here at home after the Carter administration. This created American jobs that can never go overseas, and prevented us from being hit by the oil embargos like we did in the mid 70's. Its one of Carters best legacies from his Presidency. Reagan didn't repeal it, because it was a good idea.

It doesn't favor any one type of energy source, just that it comes from within our nation.

This kind of mandate prevents outside manipulation of our economy, like we have now with OPEC where we have to beg the Saudi's and others to keep production at a higher level during war times so that our economy doesn't collapse.

Giving a tax incentive to use solar, or use oil, and write offs like we give to these companies is direct manipulation in the national economy by the federal government. A national mandate for domestic energy use doesn't favor any one industry, but it does favor the American economy, over that of middle eastern nations.
Again, we have differing philosophies and I highly doubt you will be able to convince me otherwise. Just being honest about where I stand. That being said, I think the push to destroy the coal industry and the fracking industries is hardly what I would call incentives. So, I do not see us as actively giving incentives to domestic energy solutions. If anything, I see this administration trying to penalize those industries that can help us both achieve domestic energy production and provide American jobs.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:15 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,571,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post

Why would middle class American's vote for no tax cut for themselves, and tax cuts for the rich?
The truth is, most of these voters are barely smarter than primates, and they just vote the way they were trained to vote.

Voting against their own best wishes is specifically how they've been trained by FOX, Rush, Beck, and a host of other forms of media, both electronic and print.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:15 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,681,254 times
I for one am glad. The guy is a neanderthal among neanderthals, and giving him a bigger stage can only hurt the GOP. He's right up there with Michele Bachmann. Bring it on.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:17 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,050,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The truth is, most of these voters are barely smarter than primates, and they just vote the way they were trained to vote.

Voting against their own best wishes is specifically how they've been trained by FOX, Rush, Beck, and a host of other forms of media, both electronic and print.
Thank goodness they have such enlightened people like you to tell them they are dumb! Gosh, I'm shocked you're not out there telling all of these 'dumb' people what to do. You must be a smashing success having all of the answers to how to think and all.

Have you ever thought that they aren't dumb and simply disagree with you? You say they are voting against their interests? How do you even know what their interests are and what's important to them in any given election cycle? Such hubris.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:18 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,167,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think we should mandate that 75% of our energy use for transportation come from domestic sources, then let the free market decide which is best to fill that need.
You can't have it both ways. If you implement a mandate, you've taken away the free market. The fact that companies are still buying and selling may give the illusion of a free market, but there's nothing free about it when you have the government holding their thumb on an entire industry.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:18 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,082,383 times
Quote:
. I for one am glad. The guy is a neanderthal among neanderthals, and giving him a bigger stage can only hurt the GOP. He's right up there with Michele Bachmann. Bring it on.

They can't do any worse than Odumbo

Old 11-06-2014, 03:20 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,571,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I for one am glad. The guy is a neanderthal among neanderthals, and giving him a bigger stage can only hurt the GOP. He's right up there with Michele Bachmann. Bring it on.
He held the position previously, when the neoconservatives were in power. He is back in the same position again.

It's not good enough for these morally reprehensible people to quietly deny science exists, they have to be both brash and brazen with their ignorance.

The party of Lincoln and Liberty was transmogrified into the party of hairy-backed swamp developers and corporate shills, faith-based economists, fundamentalist bullies with Bibles, Christians of convenience, freelance racists, misanthropic frat boys, shrieking midgets of AM radio, tax cheats, nihilists in golf pants, brown shirts in pinstripes, sweatshop tycoons, and gun fetishists.

Add scientific illiteracy to their body of work.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:20 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,014,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
It doesn't matter. All of the laws we need have been passed. It's in the domain of the Executive branch.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:21 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,681,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
He held the position previously, when the neoconservatives were in power. He is back in the same position again.

It's not good enough for these morally reprehensible people to quietly deny science exists, they have to be both brash and brazen with their ignorance.

The party of Lincoln and Liberty was transmogrified into the party of hairy-backed swamp developers and corporate shills, faith-based economists, fundamentalist bullies with Bibles, Christians of convenience, freelance racists, misanthropic frat boys, shrieking midgets of AM radio, tax cheats, nihilists in golf pants, brown shirts in pinstripes, sweatshop tycoons, and gun fetishists.

Add scientific illiteracy to their body of work.
+100

Old 11-06-2014, 03:22 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,266,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
The only reason the corporate backed Fox news, Rush radio, and republican politicians hate the EPA, is because the EPA regulates and fines large corporations.

What has the EPA ever done to hurt the average republican?

It amazes me how middle class Americans vote republican, when republicans block middle class tax cuts.
GOP Senators Reject Tax Cuts for Middle Class - CBS News

And while they block middle class tax cuts, they give huge tax cuts to the rich.
Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

Why would middle class American's vote for no tax cut for themselves, and tax cuts for the rich?
I am sick to death of the perpetual "tax cuts for the rich" whine. People get a tax cut in accordance with how much they make. You make more, you get a bigger cut. Simple.

You can also stop with the 97% scientist meme. Most of those 97% are not climate scientists.

https://www.google.ca/search?output=...ver+reach&btnK=

Go to that link and you will see how damaging the EPA has been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies