Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 03:22 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Have you ever thought that they aren't dumb and simply disagree with you? You say they are voting against their interests? How do you even know what their interests are and what's important to them in any given election cycle? Such hubris.

Because I can see through the subterfuge that guides the GOP.

Having Inhofe head the EPA is not subterfuge, it is upfront and practically screams "We don't believe in science, and this is who will lead us!"

They want to eliminate any ambiguity about the matter by this appointment in two administrations.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:25 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Because I can see through the subterfuge that guides the GOP.

Having Inhofe head the EPA is not subterfuge, it is upfront and practically screams "We don't believe in science, and this is who will lead us!"
If you learn nothing else today, it would be that Inhofe is not going to head the EPA. He is likely going to head the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works. The head of the EPA is Gina McCarthy.

I get it, you do not like the GOP. The personal opinion you hold is nothing more than that - an opinion. Guess what? Not everyone thinks like you and you need to take a moment and realize that's a very, very good thing.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:25 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
There's no doubt the majority of the American public doesn't care about climate change. Doesn't make them right, though. The only referendum on climate change I care about is among scientists, and climate change wins out big time among scientists.
sure....

and scientists say that climate has changed many, many, many times...and its a natural occurrence...and there is NOTHING humans can do to stop it..

we will get a little warmer(global average)...then we will cool again....we will go into another ices age....then we will warm.... in 100,000 year cycles or 50,000 year cycles, or 1,000,000 year cycles...but it will happen warming then cooling then warming

standard image paste from google images

Last edited by workingclasshero; 11-06-2014 at 04:53 PM..

Old 11-06-2014, 03:26 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I am sick to death of the perpetual "tax cuts for the rich" whine. People get a tax cut in accordance with how much they make. You make more, you get a bigger cut. Simple.
Heh, no, it's not quite that simple. I wish it were. The wealthy have a lower effective tax rate due to all sorts of factors. It's not simple.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:30 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
sure....

and scientists say that climate has changed many, many, many times...and its a natural occurrence...and there is NOTHING humans can do to stop it..

we will get a little warmer(global average)...then we will cool again....we will go into another ices age....then we will warm.... in 100,000 year cycles or 50,000 year cycles, or 1,000,000 year cycles...but it will happen warming then cooling then warming
These occurances aren't random; they are predictable. (see Milankovitch cycles)

We are undoubtedly altering the climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I thought only the big oil companies did this?
Climate change activists don't spend nearly as much cash lobbying the government. They don't have a profit to make, unlike big oil companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
That 'movement' is just another organized crime racket where taxpayer money is funnelled to thieves and charlatans by bought pols.
Can one come up with a more ignorant argument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
There's no doubt the majority of the American public doesn't care about climate change. Doesn't make them right, though. The only referendum on climate change I care about is among scientists, and climate change wins out big time among scientists.
The American public on average is dumber than a pile of bricks. The American public is pissed off getting health care, so why would they want to save themselves from their own destruction?

Old 11-06-2014, 03:38 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
We are undoubtedly altering the climate.
Undoubtedly? I don't think so.

In theory and that theory hasn't been proven as fact.

So all you have a is a very definite maybe.

Quote:
The American public on average is dumber than a pile of bricks. The American public is pissed off getting health care, so why would they want to save themselves from their own destruction?
What healthcare?

That overpriced abortion called Ostupidcare?

Old 11-06-2014, 03:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

Climate change activists don't spend nearly as much cash lobbying the government. They don't have a profit to make, unlike big oil companies.
The article notes $85 million dollars.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:41 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
You know what's really funny is Jim Inhofe's Oklahoma is really going to be savagely punished by anticipated climate change. How does 5-6 months of 100+ degree days and multiyear droughts grab you . When not so infrequent F-5 Tornados erase downtown OK City, Tulsa or Norman, when the Ogalla Aquifer is exhausted and there's few if any surface water sources and the dust of past years darkens the sky. There will be another bunch of unwanted Okies trying to bust down the doors of a more fortunate Northern state! (including people like Jim Inhofe) .

Old 11-06-2014, 03:42 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I feel that we should minimize human impact on the environment as much as is possible without destroying the economy in the process. There are other reasons why we should quit using oil as our primary means of transportation in this nation, mainly national security against terrorists in the middle east. Take away their money and let them run around chopping one anothers heads off again. I'm not opposed to fossil fuels, I think natural gas should be used instead of gasoline, which we have much more of a domestic supply of.

I think we should mandate that 75% of our energy use for transportation come from domestic sources, then let the free market decide which is best to fill that need.
I assume your a conservative minded person. Your post made me realize that conservatives often hold the answers to solve problems cared about by liberals (and vice versa.)

Take global warming for example,

Conservatives say use natural gas (which lets out much less CO2 than oil or coal.)
And conservatives say use nuclear power (which lets out trivial CO2, and statistically is the safest power source.)
- But instead liberals do federal subsidies for household rooftop solar power which has little effect on CO2.

And liberals say use alternative power sources and increase fuel efficiency in cars, to decrease the use of foreign oil and save money.
- Conservatives want to stop buying foreign oil, and they want to save money, but conservatives show no interest in alternative power or higher fuel efficiency in cars.

Or take welfare. Conservatives hate welfare freeloaders, and liberals hate poverty.

Imagine if liberals and conservatives worked together to get people off of welfare and working. And those former welfare receiving Americans got jobs, apartments, a car, computer, and cable TV (everyone would be happy.)

But today its liberals blindly throwing money to the poor, and conservatives not controlling where the money goes, while conservatives say "lets just end welfare."

A conservative poster recently posted how America spends huge amounts of money on public schools, and yet our students are doing poorly. Wheres the conservatives to fine tune how public school money is spent? (But conservatives will say lets privatize, which liberals don't want to do, and its another fight.)

And as a democrat I will say (some) things should be privatized.

I wish conservatives would care about liberal desires like high worker wages and healthcare for all (and liberals would care about conservative desires.) And then conservatives work with liberals to solve those problems without hurting business or spending too much money.

To me Americans have become stubborn and close minded democrats and republicans. Look around the forum at the republicans bragging about their recent victory, looking to sneakily fight the president. And look at the rude liberals doing the same things.

Why not realize conservatives and liberals are different (and always will be.) And then realize each holds a part of the solution to problems, and then work together to solve some problems (instead of this get nothing accomplished close minded fight were in.)

Old 11-06-2014, 03:44 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I am sick to death of the perpetual "tax cuts for the rich" whine. People get a tax cut in accordance with how much they make. You make more, you get a bigger cut. Simple.

You can also stop with the 97% scientist meme. Most of those 97% are not climate scientists.

https://www.google.ca/search?output=...ver+reach&btnK=

Go to that link and you will see how damaging the EPA has been.
And I am sick to death of the huge deficits and debt growth caused by tax cuts for the rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies