Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 08:27 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The 14th amendment, didn't give the federal government unlimited power. It didn't overturn the 10th amendment.
That doesn't answer my question. You said this is an article 1 section 8 issue issue. I asked you how. Again, how does article 1 section 8 apply to the constitutionality of laws passed by individual states?

This suit has nothing to do with Congressional powers (article 1 section 8) or the power of the federal government. The Constitution is clear that States cannot pass any law that denies its people due process or the equal protection of that law. The question here isn't one of Congressional overreach or the extent of federal control over the States - the question is does a State law denying gay people the protections of marriage law violate the Constitution.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:28 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I don't ride the bus.

All these minority groups are whining about their rights.

They have the same rights as everyone else.
If you aren't aware of history, African Americans used to be able to ride the bus in Alabama, but they had to ride on the back of the bus.

They enjoyed the same rights as white people, being able to ride the bus, but they had their own special section. Some argued "whats the problem, they can ride the bus like the rest of us?"

The courts and lawmakers decided otherwise, with time. Same issue now. You're saying "Well Gays can marry someone of the opposite sex like the rest of us, whats the problem" It seems that some courts have decided that view is wrong, other courts have decided the issue is best left to the states.

The SCOTUS will have the final say, on whether or not homosexuals are granted the right to marry whom they please, of either sex, granted by the constitution. We'll have our answer when they Supreme Court takes up the case. Only 9 people will get to decide, but even many who strictly adhere to the wording of the constitution see no reason why a man can not marry a man, or a woman can not marry a woman. Odds are, the SCOTUS will grant them the rights that you hold as "special", and see them as normal.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:31 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
I don't ride the bus.

All these minority groups are whining about their rights.

They have the same rights as everyone else.
I have the same right to marry a woman like my neighbor does? Really?

Old 11-07-2014, 08:37 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Because everybody has the right to marry the person of the opposite sex of their choice.

Otherwise, people are wanting special rights for themselves.
Did you know that Saudi Arabia has no religious discrimination? Everybody has the exact same right to worship Allah in their local mosque.

Those "Christians" are just looking for special rights for themselves.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
There go those hateful Republicans - making more laws and intruding into the lives of Americans, again.

It's exactly why I vote Libertarian. I'm all for states rights, and all, but that doesn't mean I agree with my state's stance on the matter either. I believe ALL American citizens regardless of my religious beliefs, or whatever should have equal rights. PERIOD! I still don't understand how what 2 consenting adults do in the their own private lives has any effect on them, or how they live their lives? Jesus H Christ people worry about your OWN morality, and your own lives and stop butting into the lives of others! I'm not going to pretend that I understand how or why people are gay, but I sure as hell am not going to persecute them, or treat them like a 2nd class citizen either!

Old 11-07-2014, 08:52 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Did you know that Saudi Arabia has no religious discrimination? Everybody has the exact same right to worship Allah in their local mosque.

Those "Christians" are just looking for special rights for themselves.
We are not in SA.

Religious freedoms are a fundamental right in this country.

Not the advancement of deviant behavior.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
We are not in SA.

Religious freedoms are a fundamental right in this country.

Not the advancement of deviant behavior.
A majority of Americans don't attend church regularly. By definition, those who go to church every Sunday are deviant

Old 11-07-2014, 08:57 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
A majority of Americans don't attend church regularly. By definition, those who go to church every Sunday are deviant

RUH-ROH! I guess I'm in trouble.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
RUH-ROH! I guess I'm in trouble.
We all knew you were deviant anyway

Old 11-07-2014, 09:00 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
We are not in SA.
Then stop using the mullahs' logic in political discourse, mmkay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies