Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 07:35 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times

Advertisements

Why is he coming forward with this now? And how could he prove he was the one? WHY would he want to put himself out there like that? And the people close to him.

Aside from being able to profit on the story, I don't see how this is a good play for him. No matter, he just got his picture pinned on the top of a corkboard somewhere. His family will be the ones in the most danger, I think. I also wouldn't be so dismissive of the idea of some terror groups having the means to get to him. I feel like I heard someone on CNN (I think) suggest that last night.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:38 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Oh I don't know, maybe offering him lifetime healthcare, some job assurance in the government, a pension plan of sorts. You don't really believe that a man who killed the most infamous terrorist or his compatriots deserve nothing but a pat on the back do you? The way this Country treats its retired veterans is pretty ****ing disgraceful. Yes he might have contempt, but will make millions earning it. In the end, who was the smarter person?
And you know he doesn't have that how?

If he served the required amount of time he DOES have a pension, he DOES have life-time healthcare and I've little doubt that he could have gotten a six-figure job if he wanted one.

He has, however, clearly eliminated himself from any consideration for any sort of job that requires a security clearance because he can't keep his mouth shut.

How is that the fault of the military?

Old 11-07-2014, 08:24 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure just as many don't care either. What I don't get is why people care so much about this. He is not the first former SEAL to pen a novel about his experiences.
This isn't just 'some experience' story! The other SEALs that died wasn't by accident.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:33 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
At Naval Special Warfare's core is the SEAL ethos,....`I do not advertise the nature of my work, nor seek recognition for my actions.'

Rick Woolard, a former SEAL team commander who previously urged his comrades to avoid discussing recent operations, said, active-duty SEALs are "pretty much very disappointed and I'd have to say angry with guys who have used their deeds and those of their companions for personal gain."
Since Magnum PI i have seen little but ex Navy SEAL when talking about anyone who carries a gun in popular media. A Navy SEAL training film was even released in the theatres and home video. The History and Military channels have nothing but ex Navy SEALs, when they are not showing Hitler's Bodyguard. I am starting to think that the entire active duty Navy is made up of ex SEAL Team 6 sailors

Old 11-07-2014, 09:10 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
The biggest hole in the national security boat comes from the “quiet professionals” who love to get their moment in the spotlight.

I don't think Navy SEALs should be treated differently from Green Berets, Army rangers, Marine Force Recons, etc, etc, etc. I have equal amount of respect toward Seals who killed bin ladden and those regular infantry guys who took multiple tours over seas.

People who have seen real combat know who the real hero are.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:11 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
As long as he doesn't give out any national security secrets and is no longer in the Navy, he can talk.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:16 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Can you see the through line? SEALs pride themselves on being “quiet professionals”, but the SEALs just can’t stop talking...about themselves.

lol

Old 11-07-2014, 09:25 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, in his greed he betrayed his brothers, and the entire SEAL organization.

The SEALs did the right thing publicly denouncing him. I would not be surprised if got his teeth knocked out by other members.
Wasn't it Biden who outed the entire seal team?

Old 11-07-2014, 09:36 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,968 times
Quote:
Then maybe the military should have taken care of him when he left the service. It's funny how it's expected that people who give up so much for their country are supposed to keep on giving up when their Country does nothing in return for them when they leave .

Retirement from the military is an "all or nothing" proposition and has been forever. You know that going in. This guy got out at 16 years. Four more years in ANY capacity and he'd have had retirement and medical benefits for life. He didn't even have to stay in the SEALs, he could have requested reassignment to a less intense position and almost certainly been granted it. There's a lot more going on here than "the military wouldn't take care of a vet." Nothing I've read indicates this guy has any service-related disability. He simply chose to quit when the end zone was in sight. I couldn't possibly criticize him for that choice, but also don't see any grounds for whining about how you did 16 years and got nothing.

Guys with the kind of experience you gain as a member of SEAL Team 6 usually don't have a problem earning a good living in the private security sector without having to go public with their exploits. I'm not buying the argument he had to do it to put bread on his table and a roof over his head.

Last edited by madpaddy; 11-07-2014 at 09:59 AM..

Old 11-07-2014, 02:31 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
I can understand the guy wanting to cash in but it seems dangerous for the active duty guys to keep talking about special operations so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies