Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 09:32 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times

Advertisements

Why do people always think that what works over there will work over here.

Almost 100% of the time, it doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 09:33 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Impossible.

Fallacious study. Conservatives react better to fear. Fear clouds rationality. This has already been proven.
you apparently have no idea what 'Proof' means.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:33 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,601,591 times
Republicans are emotionless profit-maximizing robots who care not for the trivial needs of pitiful human beings. Sounds plausible.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:35 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,601,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Impossible.

Fallacious study. Conservatives react better to fear. Fear clouds rationality. This has already been proven.
You need a citiation, like this:

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, George Lucas, Fox, c. 1982

Old 11-07-2014, 09:36 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
And liberals who refuse to believe these facts are ANTI SCIENCE.

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Psychologists in Israel have conducted six studies and concluded that liberals make emotional decisions while conservatives make reasoned ones. They believe that their conclusions can be applied to US politics.
Conservative are more bad ass standing rigidly on principles while liberals are more swayed by emotions and empathy.

Liberals Make Emotional Decisions, Conservatives Make Reasoned Ones, Say Psychologists
I've been saying that for a long time. Look at Democrats. They really are a coalition of various groups that put special emphasis on one cause or another because of their empathy or emotion about that cause. This could be anything from women's the environment to poor people and so on. Conservatives do get the moniker of being cold-hearted because while they may sympathize with someone, I do not think they are largely an empathetic group. I never really thought being too extreme in one way or the other was the best for a society to succeed and I think the Founding Fathers even recognized that divergent groups could emerge which very much led to our current system of government. In other words, it's actually good for our government to always have an opposition party.

In modern day politics, I see this play out again and again. The left will say that companies should have a social conscious in their business practices and ensure those things which hit them emotionally such as social justice, a sense of fairness and so on are top priorities. However, the right will look at the system and say how can it be more efficient, more productive, and not dwell on those emotional issues because they want to ensure a system that is at it's most effective fiscally.

I know there will be some who take this quite personally and get insulted by this study. They really shouldn't though. It simply points out that there are different types of people in the world and how they react to the world around them. These differences naturally lend themselves into political parties.

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Makes sense. When I was younger, I was far more liberal. As I got older and got a job, my first place, got married, bought a home etc etc...you can say I "grew up" and became more conservative.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:39 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
Quote:
Psychologists in Israel have conducted six studies and concluded that liberals make emotional decisions while conservatives make reasoned ones. They believe that their conclusions can be applied to US politics.
Conservative are more bad ass standing rigidly on principles while liberals are more swayed by emotions and empathy.

Liberals Make Emotional Decisions, Conservatives Make Reasoned Ones, Say Psychologists
Good grief! You didn't read you own link did you? You just read the trolly headline and then posted it.

The outcome was pretty much that emotions such as fear can cause "leftist" to move to the right on certain issues, "even though the experimental manipulations affected levels of emotion similarly for all participants." And that "rightist" were so ideologically inflexible that they rarely moved to the left on issues even when emotions were involved.

The basic gist is the the "rightist" in the study lacked empathy.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:39 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,237 times
Quote:
How so? Conservatives are more Scrooge/bible/family values while liberals are more "live and let live" and more Oprah-ish "everybody gets a prize!".
so let me get this straight - your argument is that Cons are not all for "live and let live"?

thanks for confirming what so many already know.

please stop using the "conservatives are for less government and intrusion into citizens' lives" talking point. Nothing could be further from the truth. Oh, except as it relates to guns.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:45 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post

The basic gist is the the "rightist" in the study lacked empathy.
Spot on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies