Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 01:51 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,284 times

Advertisements

Good choice. At least she prosecuted bankers

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama is expected to pick Brooklyn prosecutor Loretta Lynch for his next attorney general, CNN reported on Friday, a move that would give the top U.S. law enforcement role to a low-key prosecutor with deep experience in both civil rights and corporate fraud cases.

Lynch, 55, the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, would be the first African-American woman to hold the job if nominated by Obama and confirmed by the Senate.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said Obama had yet to decide on his nominee. Asked about reports that a decision could come soon, he said he had no specific details on timing but that no announcement was planned on Friday.

Obama expected to nominate Loretta Lynch to be attorney general: CNN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 01:53 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,413 times
Fantastic choice.

In before the conservatives find a reason to whine about affirmative action...

Old 11-07-2014, 02:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Is she most qualified?
What makes her uniquely qualified?
I like many have to question her association with a race baiter like Sharpton.
I think we need an Attorney General who is actually more about enforcing our laws and less about making political statements. Someone who will enforce our laws consistently with a bias towards enforcement.
I don't know that she is a bad choice, I like that she went after Government corruption. What we don't need is another idealist that only focuses on laws that fit their agenda. That Sharpton association should concern us all.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:54 PM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Fantastic choice.

In before the conservatives find a reason to whine about affirmative action...
Why would anyone whine about that?

The first black woman to be Secretary of State was appointed by a Republican and approved bya Republican Senate.
The first black woman to be National Security Advisor was appointed by a Republican and approved by a Republican Senate.
The first black woman on the United States Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit was appointed by a Republican TWICE and was approved by 55 Republicans and 1 Democrat in the Senate.

So why would conservatives claim affirmative action for a black woman being appointed as AG?

Old 11-07-2014, 02:58 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,640,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Why would anyone whine about that?

So why would conservatives claim affirmative action for a black woman being appointed as AG?
You are kidding, right?

I can't count the number of threads started by conservatives stating that Obama got into college through Affirmative Action, and didn't really deserve to be there.

Same with his wife, Michelle.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:03 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Is she most qualified?
I think we need an Attorney General who is actually more about enforcing our laws and less about making political statements. Someone who will enforce our laws consistently with a bias towards enforcement.
I don't know that she is a bad choice, I like that she went after Government corruption. What we don't need is another idealist that only focuses on laws that fit their agenda. That Sharpton association should concern us all.
What "association" does she have with Al Sharpton?

Old 11-07-2014, 03:10 PM

20,322 posts, read 19,905,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
You are kidding, right?

I can't count the number of threads started by conservatives stating that Obama got into college through Affirmative Action, and didn't really deserve to be there.

Same with his wife, Michelle.
Okay, you believe some, many or most of CD's resident conservatives are racist.

That settled, what about the points made in the post you responded to, i.e.

Quote:
The first black woman to be Secretary of State was appointed by a Republican and approved bya Republican Senate.

The first black woman to be National Security Advisor was appointed by a Republican and approved by a Republican Senate.

The first black woman on the United States Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit was appointed by a Republican TWICE and was approved by 55 Republicans and 1 Democrat in the Senate.
Any thoughts on THOSE?

Old 11-07-2014, 03:42 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Is she most qualified?

why do some people love to evoke Sharpton into a discussion about a black person? I can't stand the guy myself, but you lose credibility with these types of comments.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:42 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,259,831 times
Loretta Lynch is an interesting choice.

I checked out 5-6 different stories/websites on her, because pretty nobody is familiar with her.
I found out that she is "known" for prosecuting white cops against black defendants (sounds like a "check" for Leftists). She is known for going after a Republican CongressCritter for Corruption (sounds like another "check" for Leftists). They say she has gone after the Evil Bankers - City Group, but didn't find much about that (the story would be a "check" for Leftists)

CNN: Obama to nominate Brooklyn U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch to replace Holder as Attorney General | Hotair.com

Oddly enough - Hotwire (Right Wing Website) has no problem with Loretta and wonders why IF she was Obama's real Choice - it's only came out today after the election. I tend to agree with them.

1. She is known to go after corruption and has no obvious connection at all to TeamObama or reason to toss her career/reputation to protect him.
2. She is Black and a Woman - they may think that means she IS willing to toss her reputation/career to protect him.
3. He had plenty of other choices of 'insiders' to nominate, but didn't - top runner was Tom Perez, the top choice of the Immigration crowd.
4. ALL of his "top choices" said "Thanks, but NO Thanks - I plan on having alive post Obama.
5. Loretta has been confirmed Twice by unanimous Voice Vote by the Senate - he is not ready to go to battle yet - and he "hopes" she will be controllable and willing to Protect the First Black President AND the First Black Attorney General.

I'm not so sure about that ... this is a smart women, she has a LOT to lose by hitching her Wagon to TeamO and she must be aware of that. The wind is NOT at Obama's back - everything TeamObama has done lately has blown up in their face. She will be easily Confirmed and we will be rid of Holder.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:53 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,323,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Loretta Lynch is an interesting choice.

I checked out 5-6 different stories/websites on her, because pretty nobody is familiar with her.
I found out that she is "known" for prosecuting white cops against black defendants (sounds like a "check" for Leftists). She is known for going after a Republican CongressCritter for Corruption (sounds like another "check" for Leftists). They say she has gone after the Evil Bankers - City Group, but didn't find much about that (the story would be a "check" for Leftists)

She'll fit right in with Holder's hopelessly corrupted DOJ. She went after Michael Grimm (R) on Staten Island for blatantly political reasons...SI residents knew it and reelected him by a 55% to 42% margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies