Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 08:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
Are you willing to pay higher food costs to support higher labor costs? I for one am but I dont think many Americans are.
Except that isn't in evidence. That would be assuming that the farmer passes on the savings of using illegals on to the consumer. Keep in mind only about 2.5 to 3 % of all illegals are in the agricultural industry. It is a myth that our costs would increase by any meaningful measure. H2A VISAs are available and unlimited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 09:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
First you will not see a flat tax as Republicans have long had reform done as to what they want to do. Its basically lowers taxes and spread the base.But it actually eliminates many deductions to very few besides the standard deduction per individual which goes up. I really don't think immigration reform can make it to the floor for vote anymore than when Bush proposed it or even less so. Single payer has never in republican platform and been dead in democratic party since Bill Clinton was president.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:09 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,971 times
Just promise me a chicken in every pot and I'll be happy.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:27 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,707,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Just promise me a chicken in every pot and I'll be happy.
Come to Washington State. We have chicken and pot.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:29 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Drywall
Masonary
Roofing
Painting
paving
general labor.
All these trades have been decimated by illegals lowballing wages.
Add, plumbing, landscaping, electricians, and carpenters. The new home construction industry is filled with illegal labor.

The service industry isn't because customers want workers in their home who can speak English.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:40 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Add, plumbing, landscaping, electricians, and carpenters. The new home construction industry is filled with illegal labor.

The service industry isn't because customers want workers in their home who can speak English.

When was the last time you stayed at a hotel (usually one that caters to business travelers) and the room staff spoke anything other than Spanish, or stayed at a hospital and had a nurse who could speak Tagalog to a counterpart when they didn't want you to hear something about you. When I was in the local hospital (Washington DC suburbs) last March. My hospitalist was Burmese, one nurse was from Ghana, another from Nigeria, yet another Filipino and a fourth was Chinese.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:00 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,516 times
- Flat tax
- Immigration freeze, massive labor shortage and massive deportation of illegals.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:30 PM

73,004 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
If the GOP has half a brain, they will concentrate on the following:

1. Tax reform and gutting the corrupt IRS.
Flat Tax, no exceptions, no deductions is something I could get behind.
That's not the only option but it's better than our current "rob Peter to pay Paul" system.

2. Meaningful health care reform, not a subsidy for insurance companies like Obamacare.
Do something about the cost of health care instead of pretending that forcing everyone to buy health insurance is actually going to have any real, meaningful effect on the cost of health care for the majority of Americans.

3. No Immigration "reform"
I have yet to have anyone explain to me why "immigration reform" is necessary in a way that uses logic instead of emotion.
Enforce the current laws, protect the borders and reward those legal immigrants who respect our laws and go through the system the way they are supposed to.

4. Strong anti terrorist foreign policy.
Stop coddling the people who want to kill us.
Stop trading Gitmo prisoners for traitorous deserters and for God's sake stop calling terrorism "workplace violence" in order to further your politically correct agenda.
And if you're going to fight a war, than by God fight a War and stop with the limited engagement police actions.

5. Give up on social issues like gay marriage.
The times they are a changin' and even young Conservatives are much more tolerant of people with alternative lifestyles.
This is not a war you will win my Conservative friends and continuing to fight it only serves to paint the party as the stereotypical old white bigots that the Left makes us out to be.

Concentrate on these issues with a positive message and you might stand a chance of riding the mid term wave into 2016.
Most of this I can agree with. No argument from me. Sadly, I think there is some much of a partisan mentality that there would not be much thought into this. It would be more about pleasing partisan interests. Hence, what you have suggested isn't getting done.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:34 PM

73,004 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
When was the last time you stayed at a hotel (usually one that caters to business travelers) and the room staff spoke anything other than Spanish, or stayed at a hospital and had a nurse who could speak Tagalog to a counterpart when they didn't want you to hear something about you. When I was in the local hospital (Washington DC suburbs) last March. My hospitalist was Burmese, one nurse was from Ghana, another from Nigeria, yet another Filipino and a fourth was Chinese.
Well, I don't go to many hotels or hospitals at all. Last time I stayed at a hotel, it was in 2012, in California, and a very nice one at that, one business people would go to. Everyone I saw there spoke English, Russian, and Armenian. The last time I was at the hospital, it was 2008. Everyone spoke English, and nothing else.

And even if there were Filipino nurses at the hospital, it wouldn't bother me. If I'm in the hospital, all I care about is getting better. I don't care what ethnicity my nurse or doctor is.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:00 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
If the GOP has half a brain, they will concentrate on the following:

Concentrate on these issues with a positive message and you might stand a chance of riding the mid term wave into 2016.
Stick to the Democratic train-wreck and ride the wave into oblivion. Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies