Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 11:06 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Actually it shouldn't because each student has different histories. If I have one student that is a good student, rarely gets in trouble I may offer a different punishment than one that gets in trouble all the time.

Kind of like what judges do during sentencing.
Many schools have a zero tolerance policy or specific punishments for certain actions. If you are truly a good student, you will not take certain actions. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 12:09 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
stats say white teachers are faster to kick out a black kid for doing the same thing that a white kid did, essentially giving the white kid the benefit of the doubt, which is affirmative action.

this law should help erase that action.

only the white right would be opposed to this. they were fine with the old system where the black kid got kicked out and the white kid got to stay, even though they both committed similar offenses.

watch the white right on this one.
As a white teacher (Algebra I) I don't let any student, no matter their color, sex, race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. prevent me from doing my primary job.... teacher my students the math skills they need to have any kind of chance in the job market.

What I have noticed is that many young black men do not know how to behave around male teachers, and in most cases it is due to there not being a male authority figure in their daily lives. Once they realize I am there for them they usually settle down and stop trying to fight me every step of the way. The Hispanic boys have to be treated different as well, mainly I must make sure the my comments and corrections do not appear to be a challenge to their "manhood".

I can see how someone outside of the classroom could see my actions as being favorable to one group over another, but to be honest some of my students can be controlled with a simple "I'm going to call home and talk with your parents" while others only respond after you show them you do indeed have the power to kick them out of your classroom at any time for any reasonable cause. Is it always fair? Nope. Does it allow me to do my job and teach my kids? Yes.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:59 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Crying discrimination is a poor excuse for not addressing the problem.
Why are you saying they are crying discrimination, Are you saying the claims arent true... Or simply that you dont care either way ?

Why is it that you are ok with unequal treatment ?

Old 11-10-2014, 01:01 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Actually it shouldn't because each student has different histories. If I have one student that is a good student, rarely gets in trouble I may offer a different punishment than one that gets in trouble all the time.

Kind of like what judges do during sentencing.
thats true, but thats not really the subject here. Based on the article, the data was showing that kids with similar histories were being suspended at different rates.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:19 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,105 times
I expect this to be tossed out pretty easily in court.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:53 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
stats say white teachers are faster to kick out a black kid for doing the same thing that a white kid did, essentially giving the white kid the benefit of the doubt, which is affirmative action.

this law should help erase that action.

only the white right would be opposed to this. they were fine with the old system where the black kid got kicked out and the white kid got to stay, even though they both committed similar offenses.

watch the white right on this one.
Which stats? I keep hearing people say this as fact when I follow this issue closely & have never seen any data that proves this to be true. Are the teachers themselves keeping stats of how many White kids they let get away with things? I am highly suspicious of these "stats".

Old 11-10-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
I agree with you with regard to the problem you describe. There is a solution, though, at least in some part. Here is an example of what one man in my area --a very wealthy man, but one man--did to cut crime by 50%, increase graduation rates to 100%, provide college education for students in a little town of about 3000 people. It was "drug-infested" and people were afraid to walk outside. 190 children have received full college scholarships, property values have tripled.

Millionaire uses fortune to help kids in struggling town - News - TODAY.com

"The Tangelo Park Program has since its inception provided free preschool to all two-, three-, and four-year olds who live in the Tangelo Park neighborhood. In addition, he provides an all-expense paid education for those who reside in the Tangelo Park neighborhood and are accepted to vocational school, community college, junior college or a four-year public college in the state of Florida. Thus far, approximately 190 youngsters who reside in the neighborhood have been provided full college scholarships."

Tangelo Park Program

Read the section on "Social Responsibility." This is an amazing blueprint for helping people succeed on their own. He doesn't pay for everything, the community participates with volunteers. I saw an interview by one man in Ferguson. He said people here just need an opportunity. Rosen created a great model for the Ferguson area to follow.
Not sure why you highlighted my post to make this post or how they correlate? I'll say this though, I applaud what this man is doing & think this is real part of the solution. That said, he's not dealing the the dregs who have no interest in going to college or doing something with their lives. He's helping the kids who've stayed on course & have the wherewithal to seek out his scholarship opportunity's. It's an absolutely great program for those who're trying to do the right thing, but the family's have to have the interest, motivation & wherewithal to seek out the day care & college scholarship opportunity's in the first place. I suspect many of those kids would be university scholarship eligible without him. I really, really believe that grass roots community driven programs like this are a big part of the solution, but it doesn't have any relevance on Black students with no male role model misbehaving in classrooms.

Last edited by Mason3000; 11-10-2014 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Grammar.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
"Minority" kids: I might be wrong but; I have a feeling that kids from Africa and way down in LatAm like Chile are much LESS likely to screw up in school and get in trouble than many American Black and Chicano kids here in the US
Blacks like to lump other minority groups in with them to make the problem seem more widespread than it really is & garner support for what really is their own issue. The reality is that Black students make up 16% of US enrollment & 42% of multiple suspensions. American Indians, a negligible % of students are at about the same level as Blacks. Latino students are suspended at a higher rate than White students, this is true, but very much on par with their enrollment. i.e. 24% enrollment with 21% multiple suspensions. Pacific Islanders, another statistically negligible % of total enrollment is right about where Latinos are at. To lump Latinos in with Blacks is a real insult to Latinos. Meanwhile, Asians are 5% enrollment & only 1% multiple suspensions, with East Indians being close to that. Finally, Whites are 51% enrollment & 31% multiple suspensions.

http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/lis...e-snapshot.pdf

Last edited by Mason3000; 11-10-2014 at 10:16 PM..

Old 11-10-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Basically, black youth is far more likely to have harsher punishments for the same offenses. Believe it or not this starts as early as grade school. This is a good law.
Any proof to back up this claim?

Old 11-10-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
There is a definite problem here with racial disparities in regards to school suspensions/expulsions. I have no problem with that issue being addressed. However, it would make far more sense to require that permission will be needed for all school suspensions.

Since non-white students are ten times more likely to be suspended, it would be relatively easy to include in the review process, the one in eleven cases involving a white student. This way, all suspensions would be assessed for propriety, and racial divisions would truly be a non-issue.
This is not true. Blacks aren't suspended 10x more than Whites. Certainly not nationwide anyhow. Latinos & Pacific Islanders are right on par with enrollment & SE Asians & East Indians are actually suspended at lower rates than Whites. It's not a "non White student" problem, it's a Black problem, but not 10x higher.

Last edited by Mason3000; 11-10-2014 at 10:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies