Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 01:28 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
True enough but those who do not celebrate Christmas or any other Holiday don't jump up and volunteer to work that day either.

As one example only, I have never heard of an Atheist complain about having no work on Christmas Day.

I did work with a gal who is Jewish and she had an arrangement with the company that she would work all of the Holidays that she did not celebrate if she could trade those for the Jewish Holidays she did celebrate.
Thankfully we worked for a company that was never closed so it worked quite well for her and the company.
You are incorrect on that one; many, many people will jump to volunteer to work on Christmas if given the opportunity, just as there are many, many people who will look for someone to take their work on Christmas.

For example; anyone in the military knows the duty swap deal that go on by people who want Christmas off, since I do not celebrate Christmas on Dec 25th, to swap was always to my advantage.

You are mixing "paid day off" with "day off for Christmas"; two different concepts. No rational person would be against a paid day off/day off without using leave, whether it is for Christmas, the 4th of July, or national donut day, and if a company chooses to close for that day, no one has a choice to jump up and volunteer to work one of those days.

My company is closed on Christmas, I have no choice in it, I rather work Christmas and take a religious day I observe off without having to use my leave.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:44 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Growing up in Pittsburgh in that era, I heard "Happy Holidays" a lot too.

Here's the definitive source, LOL!
Happy Holiday (song) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Hallmark Channel showed "Holiday Inn" a couple of days ago.
I have to admit, every time I hear that song now, I chuckle to myself about the "happy holiday" nonsense and those who act as if it just started "yesterday."

Old 11-09-2014, 03:58 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
In the movies people always buy and decorate their trees on Christmas Eve.
That's what we did when I was a kid in the 60s and 70s. We might buy the tree the weekend before if Christmas was in the middle of the week, but it didn't go up and get decorated until Christmas Eve. Now some people put them up the day after Thanksgiving.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:00 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
In some European countries that have far lower church attendance than the US, there are many Christian holidays. Most of them make a big deal of Christmas. It's become a secular celebration.
what it has become doesn't matter, what matters is the trickle town effect, when you start changing things or taking things away, it continues.....and I take great offense when someone tells me I cannot say Christmas, and will never not say it, it's part of me, who I am and my belief.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:01 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
In some European countries that have far lower church attendance than the US, there are many Christian holidays. Most of them make a big deal of Christmas. It's become a secular celebration.
what it has become doesn't matter, what matters is the trickle town effect, when you start changing things or taking things away, it continues.....and I take great offense when someone tells me I cannot say Christmas, and will never not say it, it's part of me, who I am and my belief.

There is no set time when to put a tree up on when to take it down, it all depends on who, where and what they enjoy....

seems today, if you don't do what other believe in, they want to take that joy away.....pathetic

Old 11-09-2014, 04:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

There is no set time when to put a tree up on when to take it down, it all depends on who, where and what they enjoy....

seems today, if you don't do what other believe in, they want to take that joy away.....pathetic
I did not think that's what this thread was about.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:14 PM

37 posts, read 25,664 times
Quote:
The federal government is not "closed" on Sunday. Most people don't work, but many fed workers do, including the staffs at the VA hospitals, parks workers, police, and many others.

Some school districts close on Jewish holidays.
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ic-school.html
Federal government is closed on Sundays, including all offices, postal office, dmv, etc.
Obviously emergency must be open 365 days a year.

Some school district close for Jewish holidays due to large number of students or teachers absense. That's individual districts, not the entire state offices.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There you go. You identified a much larger issue. Perhaps Christmas shouldn't be a national holiday... since it's a religious holiday. The nation should either recognize all religious holidays or none.
Too bad it is and should be for obvious reasons. If you don't like it move to a non-Christian nation.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Many (if not most) companies shut down during Christmas and as a result, work cannot be done... even if they did volunteer.
Even Jewish companies close for Christmas and Easter. Century 21 Department store and B & H electronic store in NYC owned by Orthodox Jews.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christmas is Here View Post
Too bad it is and should be for obvious reasons. If you don't like it move to a non-Christian nation.
It's not really too bad... just unfortunate that we've made such anti-American decisions.

I do live in a non-Christian nation. If you can't tell by my user name, I'm in NJ, USA.

I would suggest you leave the US is you feel it be necessary to carry such anti-American views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies