Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 11:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
But poor people always struggle. So by that logic, no president should even dance or do anything fun.
Just not on camera. Atleast act like you are serious about your job when so many people are out of work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 01:37 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
Quote:
Your link says nothing about whether the increase was out of the ordinary or what those new rules were. Your link even says its numbers could be wrong.

For your argument to be sound, you have to show these regulation being more burdensome than during Previous administrations and you have done no such thing.

Yes I am, these companies had 3, almost 4, years to get ready for this. Are you really arguing that its the Obama administrations fault that these companies werent ready after 3 years ??????

Also, republicans make a lot of threats, it doesnt mean they will actually follow through. Do you actually believe they will impeach President Obama ?
I don't even know where you started bringing impeachment into it as I said nothing about it. So, I'll skip that red herring and move onto your other arguments.

First, let's look at the regulations. How much have they increased under Obama?
REGULATION NATION: Obama oversees expansion of the regulatory state | TheHill
Quote:
Data collected by researchers at George Mason University’s Mercatus Center shows that the Code of Federal Regulations, where all rules and regulations are detailed, has ballooned from 71,224 pages in 1975 to 174,545 pages last year.

“All incentives are to regulate more,” said Susan Dudley, the director of George Washington University’s Regulatory Studies Center.
Well, that's significant. Except that doesn't really tell the whole story, does it? After all, it's not the number is it, it's the amount of overreach or shall we say impact it has on our businesses. Let's take a look.

Quote:
More “major rules,” those with an annual economic impact exceeding $100 million, were enacted in 2010 than in any year dating back to at least 1997, according to the CRS.

And over Obama’s first three years in office, the Code of Federal Regulations increased by 7.4 percent, according to data compiled by the Chamber of Commerce. In comparison, the regulatory code grew by 4.4 percent during Bush’s first term. 

So now we know, he's had a greater economic impact that anyone since 1997 and you wanted a comparison - well it's almost double that of Bush. Turns out he did add more regulations and they're more expensive to boot.

But good news for you in this article. The people who support Obama do not even try to deny he's done this. They defend it, even though businesses are showing them it's having an impact on jobs. I'm sure you can read this in any way you want but the fact of the matter is that these regulations are having an impact on jobs. You can decide if it's worth it or not. There's people who think so and they're quoted in the article.

As to Obamacare, yes businesses had an issue with Obamacare. But you say they had all sorts of time to prepare. Really? Because the government put administrative burdens on these businesses and still didn't even have the necessary rules in place for these businesses. Let's go ahead and say that I agree businesses were upset and concede that point. But it was Obama's own administration that caused this problem by not being prepared themselves.

A bit of the statement from when they announced the delay:
White House To Delay Obamacare's Employer Mandate Until 2015; Far-Reaching Implications For The Private Health Insurance Market - Forbes
Quote:
The ACA includes information reporting (under section 6055) by insurers, self-insuring employers, and other parties that provide health coverage. It also requires information reporting (under section 6056) by certain employers with respect to the health coverage offered to their full-time employees. We expect to publish proposed rules implementing these provisions this summer, after a dialogue with stakeholders – including those responsible employers that already provide their full-time work force with coverage far exceeding the minimum employer shared responsibility requirements – in an effort to minimize the reporting, consistent with effective implementation of the law.
There's plenty of information in the article for you to chew on, both for and against my position. But since the topic of the thread is job stagnation, I thought this quote was interesting
Quote:
First, the mandate drives up the cost of labor, and therefore increases unemployment; delaying the mandate by one year may modestly mitigate that disincentive.
So good news, it could be worse and will be when Obamacare is fully implemented.

Honestly, how do you expect businesses to plan and forecast with this kind of uncertainty? They know they'll have to comply with Obamacare but the rules weren't even written yet. They have more expensive and more onerous regulations causing them further uncertainty as they weather these new costs. Uncertainty for business is a dangerous thing and they'll continue to sit on their cash and not increase resources while they weather the issues the Obama administration has caused.

Unless he suddenly reverses course, expect jobs to continue to stagnate.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:27 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
LYING LIBERAL headlines

what did the 'republican' MINORITY block....certainly NOT a tax cut for the middleclass...the bill they 'blocked' was a TAX RAISE for people......why do liberals lie

meanwhile constitutionally there are only required a simple majority to pass laws( 51)....the 60 rule is to stop a filibuster.....so again the 'republican' didn't stop anything if the stupid democrat controlled senate actually followed the constitution...both bills actually got 53 yes votes

article 1, section 7 of the constitution:
The bill-to-law process illustrates the Constitution’s separation of powers and system of checks and balances. Federal laws are written in Congress. Proposed laws for raising revenue must originate in the House. All proposed laws, or bills, must pass both houses of Congress with a simple majority vote. Once that happens, the bill is sent to the president, who can either sign it or veto it (refuse to sign it). If the president signs it, the bill becomes law. If the president returns the bill to Congress, Congress can override the president’s veto with a two-thirds majority vote in both houses.

The bill can also become law without the president’s signature if ten days pass without it being returned to Congress. If the president does not sign the bill and does not return it to Congress, but Congress adjourns within ten days, the bill does not become law.

1. there was no tax cut...it was a vote to extend the ALREADY in place tax law from 01/03

2. why are the dems so interested in RAISING the tax on the middleclass.

the dems pushed the AMT years ago as a way to tax the rich...now it hits many middleclass

200k is still middleclass

why do the fascist liberals continue to LIE to the public

Old 11-09-2014, 07:28 AM

109 posts, read 90,981 times
Quote:
Businesses have had regulations for decades, if you cant name any specific one then you are just generalizing with no real point.

The implementation was delayed because Conservative business owners listened to Republican congressmen who claimed they would repeal it. If Republicans had told their constituents to prepare for Obamacare, it could have gone alot smoother.

I will never understand why people like you fall for the republican strategy of both playing boogyman and trying to defend people from it.

The president delayed the employer mandate, and it's conservative business owners fault.

WTF?

Old 11-09-2014, 07:43 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I keep hearing how voters were dissatisfied with Obama over the economy but unemployment is at 5.8. The concern is that wages are stagnate so voters aren't "feeling" improvements with the economy. Well how is Obama responsible for these low wage jobs? Aren't there factors affecting wages that have nothing to do with Obama and his policies?

Why many aren't celebrating low US unemployment
Wages have been stagnant for over a decade.
Easier now to blame it on the current president I guess, than to objectively examine the policies and actions that created the problem in the first place way back when.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:46 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,413 times
It's because he's black.

Nothing has changed since he's been President. He can't get his policies through.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:58 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
I keep hearing how voters were dissatisfied with Obama over the economy but unemployment is at 5.8. The concern is that wages are stagnate so voters aren't "feeling" improvements with the economy. Well how is Obama responsible for these low wage jobs? Aren't there factors affecting wages that have nothing to do with Obama and his policies?

For starters, he could create 16,000 jobs with one stroke of his pen if he'd approve the keystone pipeline. We've lost Canada's support for this one because they got tired of waiting for him.

Government policies definitely impact wages here. For example, the push to hire foreign talent over our talent. I know so many engineers who never found work after being downsized out in 2006-2008 yet there are three families on my street who came here because one parent or the other was recruited for an engineering job (all Indian).

Low unemployment isn't due to Obama's policies. It's due to baby boomers starting to retire. They are vacating jobs and NOT going onto unemployment so they do not count as unemployed.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:01 AM

109 posts, read 90,981 times
Yeah, and with the Dems it was because the president was white.

Give it a rest all ready.

I don't like a lot of stuff any of the presidents said or do/did, and it never was because of their skin color.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't quote the poster I was talking to.

The one who said it was because the president was black.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:04 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream2020 View Post
Yeah, and with the Dems it was because the president was white.

Give it a rest all ready.

I don't like a lot of stuff any of the presidents said or do/did, and it never was because of their skin color.
No one has an issue with a white man in power.

False equivalency.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:07 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:

Failure to uphold our illegal alien immigration laws, that punish employers that hire them.
Instead doing just the opposite and encouraging more and more illegal aliens to come to the USA and take jobs for pennys of what an American will do them for, while sucking the public assistance systems dry.

Illegal aliens have made the going rates in the construction trades to stagnate in the 1990's and in the 2000's, caused them to fall into the poverty working classes.

When you cherry pick a segment of people to calculate from, leaves many still sitting at home without collecting any unemployment assistance.
5.8% is a number only calculated & published for the ignorant low information voter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies