Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:47 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times

Advertisements

I am a humble blue collar union worker, but a big chunk of what I make flies off to Washington DC, which is now the wealthiest region in the US.

This story is perhaps the best metaphor for this ever. A pregnant female with a young son begged for money and got plenty of sympathy and contributions. One onlooker noticed that at the end of the panhandling shift she left in a Mercedes Benz.

Pregnant beggar caught driving off in Mercedes-Benz | abc7.com

A reporter who looked into it traced the plates to a $2500/month apartment in Encinitas, a coastal beach suburb of San Diego.

To complete the metaphor, when the onlooker started taking pics, the scammer grabbed a large rock and threatened violence.

Quote:
"She sits there with the sign. He goes (and) parks the Mercedes. They put up the sign and not less than five minutes, here she is getting money from all these people," Smith said.

Smith took pictures of the woman and boy at the new location. The woman spotted her, got angry and started yelling, Smith said.

"Next thing I know, she picked up this big boulder," Smith said, "I don't know if pregnant people can do that, but it was pretty big over her head and coming at me with this rock."

Another witness saw the entire incident and called 911.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 07:25 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I am a humble blue collar union worker, but a big chunk of what I make flies off to Washington DC, which is now the wealthiest region in the US.

This story is perhaps the best metaphor for this ever. A pregnant female with a young son begged for money and got plenty of sympathy and contributions. One onlooker noticed that at the end of the panhandling shift she left in a Mercedes Benz.

Pregnant beggar caught driving off in Mercedes-Benz | abc7.com

A reporter who looked into it traced the plates to a $2500/month apartment in Encinitas, a coastal beach suburb of San Diego.

To complete the metaphor, when the onlooker started taking pics, the scammer grabbed a large rock and threatened violence.
Nothing new. It has been going on a LOOONG time.

Back in the late 50's early 60's my uncle had a "blind" man sit in front of his building with the bucket.

One day he had to go in very early and saw the "blind" man get out of his limo, walk over to his "spot", sit down, place his bucket and put on his shades.

Come to find out the "blind" man owned a lavish home in Miami and would go there every winter.

Wasn't it P.T Barnum who said, 'There is a sucker born every day"?

Old 11-15-2014, 09:48 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,930 times
Rich person pleads poverty to convince working people to give them handouts? Sounds more like a metaphor for the Republican party.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:08 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
It's quite common. A healthy looking beggar is at an intersection near me several days every week. When begging, he walks with a profound limp. But I saw him walking to his car at the end of the day and his limp was totally gone.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:14 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
A metaphor for the modern Democratic party: begger drives off in a Mercedes.

I heard the person in question has voted for every tea party candidate since 2008.
My speculation of party affiliation makes just as much sense as your's does.

There's an old saying where I come from. "When people are chucking road apples at you, you pick them up and throw them right back

(Road apples. the debris left in the roadway after the cavalry pass.)

Old 11-15-2014, 10:16 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It's quite common. A healthy looking beggar is at an intersection near me several days every week. When begging, he walks with a profound limp. But I saw him walking to his car at the end of the day and his limp was totally gone.
You don't believe Jesus can heal that limp?........................just jerking ur chain

Old 11-15-2014, 10:25 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,419 times
I don't play for a team, but.....

Considering it's stupid religious people that support these con-artists, by falling victim to their "god-bless" and "veteran" BS, I would say that it more represents there right, and their long track record of getting duped by con-artists that know how to harness their emotions with God and nationalism. LOL

Old 11-15-2014, 10:40 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
I don't play for a team, but.....

Considering it's stupid religious people that support these con-artists, by falling victim to their "god-bless" and "veteran" BS, I would say that it more represents there right, and their long track record of getting duped by con-artists that know how to harness their emotions with God and nationalism. LOL
I'm not responsible for what someone who begs for money does with the money. I'm responsible for what I do with it. If they fool me, then shame on them but if I am not generous with what the good Lord has given me, shame on me. I try to give to reputable charities but every now and again a beggar will catch my attention. Have I been fooled? Most certainly but I also know that some are there for good reason. I used to work in a pharmacy and just before we closed, the blind man who begged out front would come in and we'd change the money in for him and mark the bills so he knew what they were and no one could take advantage of him. Sadly, there were people who'd try to take his money when he'd spend it. I'd rather give to a scam artist than fail to give to someone who truly needs it. The latter is the greater injustice. Don't mistake generosity for stupidity. We know the odds but we also know that what we are judged on is not what the beggar does with the money. It's what we did with it. Sometimes I just trust my gut. I'm sure I've been wrong but I'm sure I've been right too.

That said, I think that when scam artists are caught the penalties should be severe. Sell everything they own and give it to charity.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:47 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Rich person pleads poverty to convince working people to give them handouts? Sounds more like a metaphor for the Republican party.

aawwwww snap

Old 11-15-2014, 01:18 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
A metaphor for the modern Democratic party: begger drives off in a Mercedes.

I heard the person in question has voted for every tea party candidate since 2008.
My speculation of party affiliation makes just as much sense as your's does.
Actually, it makes a little more sense. There's a lot of Rs in that area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies