Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 12:57 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times

Advertisements

And don't forget to tell us why they're radical!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 01:03 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,406,102 times
As for environmental laws: If I was offered a choice between cleaning the air 95% knowing it would kill say 300,000 jobs or cleaning the air 90% and killing 50,000 jobs, I would choose the latter. It's either that or place a big import tax on any foreign country that does not maintain similar environmental protection standards. If we can't have industry due to the EPA, than China should not be allowed to poison their part of the planet to supply us the products instead.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The GOP in their ongoing war on the environment and to make us more like developing countries will soon start their assault on environmetal regulations. Republican voters will soon get their wish for a new conservative agenda as laws regulating clean air and water will come under assault, which includes the dumping of toxins into the air, rivers and streams. You would think the so-called pro-life party would want to protect children and adults from cancer and abortion inducing toxins being dumped into the environment and the public domain, but go figure, they ostensibly have different priorities. Big donors need to be repaid.

Do you support the gutting of environmental laws or against?

Senate GOP steeling for battle against EPA | TheHill
We are not the war on anything except to protect our country for terrorist and the take over of the left wingers.
e
The pipe line is needed, most of us can accept that; This doesn't mean we are anti environment. Most of us recycle, in fact more conservatives I have witnessed in our own neighborhood do this. The libs are often to lazy to even pick up their trash. Do you think it is the Republicans that throw trash out the window from a moving car? May I also add being pro life for many of us means, abortion isn't always wrong, but it is when used as birth control; again, too lazy to use birth control, too lazy to be responsible, accept the consequences.

Big donors, you can't really know what you are talking about if you think only one side has big donors? Do your homework, do research, remember names like Buffett and Soros for starters>>>

Maybe treehuger would be a better screen name for you?

Old 11-10-2014, 01:45 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Your title states "GOP to gut environmental laws" but the article mentions "rules and regulations". If breaking a regulation bears the penalty of a law then it should be a law and passed by Congress. None of these were.

As far as the EPA goes, where in the Constitution does the federal government get the power to even create this department? As far as that goes, why have it when all 50 states have their own version of the EPA? Don't the states have a vested interest in their own environment? Don't they know better how to care for it since they live in it?
Yes! Nail on head and what is fundamentally WRONG with expansive federal government. There are a myriad of federal departments that SHOULD be shuttered. The states all have their own version of the EPA, and one would think they know how to manage their respective states better than bureacrats sitting in DC..but that is NOT how liberals/dems think.

Quote:
I support clean air, water and land...just as I expect 300+ million people do. It is the overreach of an out of control fed EPA that is the problem.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:22 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Cite these "radical EPA regulations."
Don't expect an answer

Old 11-10-2014, 02:27 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Austin sky looks like Mexico City on a hot summer day, when it happens.

The EPA fines us for poor air quality.
The city forces us to not do many things when that happens.
San Antonio gets hit the hardest.
I have seen considerable smog in AZ, the air quality has deteriorated over the last few decades, I recall the EPA regulations notably improved Los Angeles but they have a long way to go. The problem needs to be addressed.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:38 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
The EPA, especially under Obama, is out of control and needs to be reorganized. It should not be a department but more of a scientific research agency that makes recommendations to Congress.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:39 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I am going to find the next few years very interesting. I expect the GOP to gut Environment and financial regulations as much as possible so long as the results do not threaten the big money by spoiling their views of the mountains or poisoning their water. Everyone else's views, safe water or clean air they breathe can go to hell.

Fortunately I only have about twenty to thirty years left to observe how fast our living conditions and standards disintegrate. I think the kids with their four score and ten to live (modern medicine has made 90 years likely) in a rapidly deteriorating environment. Who knows? It may get as bad as China so long as the Republicans make ever more money by stealing life from the rest of us.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:03 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Coal fired plants require more regulation because they aren't sustainable for the environment. Stop making excuses for us not to address climate change. There is no excuse. Coal is going to die. People need to get over it and adapt.
And you expect to replace them with what? Renewables like solar and wind can supplement generation from fossil fuel and nuclear plants but it cannot replace them.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:07 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The GOP in their ongoing war on the environment and to make us more like developing countries will soon start their assault on environmetal regulations. Republican voters will soon get their wish for a new conservative agenda as laws regulating clean air and water will come under assault, which includes the dumping of toxins into the air, rivers and streams. You would think the so-called pro-life party would want to protect children and adults from cancer and abortion inducing toxins being dumped into the environment and the public domain, but go figure, they ostensibly have different priorities. Big donors need to be repaid.

I'm all for the complete elimination of federal environmental laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies