Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2014, 06:04 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times

Advertisements

I feel the increasing frequency of local referendums to fund our public schools represents one of the worst and most inefficient ways to fund education. Local referendums are expensive, inefficient, divisive, and overly politicize the education system.

Is there a better way though? I'm not really sure. My wife was just telling me how the rural area where she grew up in just voted down a funding referendum (this is up in northern Wisconsin). At least one staff member (out of 19), will probably lose their job as a result. Eventually the school may close and the kids will get to be bused about 45 minutes each way.

Maybe it's not good or bad...just is what it is. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 07:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Way too much money spent on non-educational items.
Folks need to demand audits. Just how much money is making it to the classrooms.

Our local ISD taxes went up..for the children of course.
Turns out they created 2 new non-classroom positions for some old timers in a small district that doesn't need either position.
I work in these schools and know these 2 people. Long time residents.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:04 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Folks need to demand audits. Just how much money is making it to the classrooms.

Our local ISD taxes went up..for the children of course.
Turns out they created 2 new non-classroom positions for some old timers in a small district that doesn't need either position.
I work in these schools and know these 2 people. Long time residents.
I agree things like that should be evaluated more. Often times the teachers get dumped on, while "administration" makes a bunch of money in some districts.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:41 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
School elections is one of the few times voters have a say.

So it is easy to say no.......and a local choice.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:58 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I've done this in my own community, where we've successfully passed a levy 9 of the last 11 years (despite my annual no vote), while opening new businesses, increasing the tax base, and still supporting only 1 high school, 1 middle school, and 3 elementary schools.

In fact, I've done it twice. In both cases, the treasurer of the school board walked me through the budget present and historical. In neither case did he convince me that the funding issue was about revenue, but overspending on non-classroom related nonsense.

I would highly recommend anyone out there who wonders "WTF?" at an annual or even the periodic levy, do the exact same thing. Call your municipal school board and have them explain the budget, or at least send you the data. You'll be amazed and appalled at what you discover...trust me.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:10 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
There was an amendment approved for NY State this month called the Smart Schools Bond Act, basically it is just another form of borrowing for capital projects related to technology. If the school districts need the technology then it should be put to the local voters and recovered through their taxes not through borrowing. It's not very smart to pay interest on capital projects unless the roof is leaking, this is not that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies