Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:30 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say to all of you who have served our country or all serving now: Thanks a million. If it wasn't for the men and women in our military we would not have the freedoms we do today. Think about other countries, how the women live or those who are not the same religion have to live, think about countries without open elections: then remember regardless of this not being a perfect country, we are so lucky to be able to call ourselves Americans.

Now thank a vet please!!!! I know I will. I have already thanked our son for the time he gave in Desert Storm for starters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 08:32 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,342,306 times
Happy Armistice day veterans

Old 11-11-2014, 08:32 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,276,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just wanted to say to all of you who have served our country or all serving now: Thanks a million. If it wasn't for the men and women in our military we would not have the freedoms we do today. Think about other countries, how the women live or those who are not the same religion have to live, think about countries without open elections: then remember regardless of this not being a perfect country, we are so lucky to be able to call ourselves Americans.

Now thank a vet please!!!! I know I will. I have already thanked our son for the time he gave in Desert Storm for starters.
Yes!!!!

Not enough can be said....

Just thanks!!!!!

Old 11-11-2014, 08:50 AM

39,044 posts, read 27,462,475 times
I know many Veterans don't want to hear "Happy Veterans' day"

So I would just say "Have a meaningful, peaceful veterans day"

I know i have taken a lot of things (including freedom) for granted, many war zone veterans taught me many meaningful lessons in life. For that, I am thankful.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:53 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
I was a River Rat on the Mekong River in 1966 and part of 1967. I am still trying to figure out how fighting some very patriotic peasants trying to overthrow a French colonial government was defending the United States. I am still having the same question for our wars ever since.

I am quite willing to use force to defend our country. Defense does not include overthrowing elected governments in South America or the Caribbean. It does not include destroying Saddam Husain (even though he was pure evil) or invading Afghanistan for some unexplained reason beyond being a mineral resources grab to prevent the Chinese from stealing our looting rights. We have not been defending the United States of America but wasting our wealth, our reputation and, most importantly, our Soldiers to be the enforcement thugs of the international banks and petroleum companies. Add to these our own, mostly but not always American defense contractors with their overpriced and semi functional "weapons" (the Mattel M-16 is still a bad joke) stealing their profits from our own citizens. These companies, foreign and domestic, are looting America while telling us they are defending our country. These thieves are beneath contempt.

I am proud of our military people. They do a exemplary job under truly impossible circumstances. They deserve all respect and Honor.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was a River Rat on the Mekong River in 1966 and part of 1967. I am still trying to figure out how fighting some very patriotic peasants trying to overthrow a French colonial government was defending the United States. I am still having the same question for our wars ever since.

I am quite willing to use force to defend our country. Defense does not include overthrowing elected governments in South America or the Caribbean. It does not include destroying Saddam Husain (even though he was pure evil) or invading Afghanistan for some unexplained reason beyond being a mineral resources grab to prevent the Chinese from stealing our looting rights. We have not been defending the United States of America but wasting our wealth, our reputation and, most importantly, our Soldiers to be the enforcement thugs of the international banks and petroleum companies. Add to these our own, mostly but not always American defense contractors with their overpriced and semi functional "weapons" (the Mattel M-16 is still a bad joke) stealing their profits from our own citizens. These companies, foreign and domestic, are looting America while telling us they are defending our country. These thieves are beneath contempt.

I am proud of our military people. They do a exemplary job under truly impossible circumstances. They deserve all respect and Honor.
Agreed!!!!

I have read how the vets returning from that era was treated......it was not good.

If it has to be one extreme or, the other......I will take calling them "heroes" any day.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:20 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,321,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

My brother was in Desert Storm 82nd Airborne Division. Who knows, maybe they crossed paths.

Thanks to all vets no matter what your service. One you sign up you are putting your life on the line for others.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:30 AM

39,024 posts, read 51,075,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Agreed!!!!

I have read how the vets returning from that era was treated......it was not good.

If it has to be one extreme or, the other......I will take calling them "heroes" any day.
I think much of the fuss that is made over service members and veterans today with the salutes at football games, the parades, free coffee at Starbucks, and so on is because of national guilt over the crappy treatment we Viet vets got. We have gone from one extreme to the other. It all strikes me as a bit over the top actually. Anyway, you're welcome!

Old 11-11-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think much of the fuss that is made over service members and veterans today with the salutes at football games, the parades, free coffee at Starbucks, and so on is because of national guilt over the crappy treatment we Viet vets got. We have gone from one extreme to the other. It all strikes me as a bit over the top actually.
Maybe so....

But, this extreme is better.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRunner View Post
Since when did killing cave dwellers constitute defending our freedoms?

I will thank my grandpa for serving in World War II.
Yet your first post in this thread is, "thanks for nothing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies