Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Body Cameras for the Cops?
Yes 147 91.88%
No 13 8.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 03:14 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times

Advertisements

let me first start with ...yes I think the cameras are a good thing

1. they will help exonerate officers in cases like Missouri where the cop was attacked

but....

2. what is the exact cost (my taxes) of the actual camera....the storage of the footage... and the review(overtime maybe) of the footage in question??

3. what is the actual storage (time) of ALL footage....will they have million dollars terra-terra-bite storage and keep a full 8-12hr tour from every cop, for every day he/she is on and keep it for something like 3 years....and 10 years in cases where there is a question??

4. how secure is the technology.....can someone hack the system

5. how tough is the system...ie durability.......can a camera take a punch, or will it break at the first scuffle

6. will it be full time, or part time......ie if an officer is code7 or code 10-7(ie lunchbreak or breaktime) do we need the footage of him eating a phillycheese steak?...or will it only turn on by certain codes....if its full time that could easily be 2600+ hours of footage per year, per officer, which will require a lot of storage capacity

7. also do we(people other than the responding officer) really want to see some of the grotesque scenes that officers sometimes see (ie chopped up bodies)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 08:38 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I've seen a lot of videos on youtube where it was shot using a GoPro in very tough, violent conditions. GoPros are on sale right now for 199.00.
GoPros come nowhere close to complying with CJIS standards for evidence chain of custody. The DOJ already told departments in this area that they cannot be used.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:40 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Why would that be? Do you honestly believe there's someone back at the station reviewing every moment of footage for every cop after every shift to look for anomalies? Absolutely the most intellectually dishonest statement in this thread. The cameras are there so when things go gunny sack they have documentation of what appears to have gone on.
Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
The DOJ model policy requires supervisor review of all footage before it can be deleted. Considering the cost of storage ($0.125 per GB per month), that footage will be reviewed.

More importantly, the footage is subject to sunshine law and you will have people like the anonymous person in Seattle who will sunshine request all footage every day and post it all on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/user/policevideorequests). One of the more interesting notes on the video is that one of the departments is abandoning their body cam program because the channel operator requested 700 videos from them totaling 900 hrs; two staff members are reviewing and editing the videos at a rate of 10 per day adding up to a total of 1120 hours of staff time. Like many states, Washington caps the amount that a department can charge for a request. Once the footage is sunshine law requested, you have to retain it for a full document retention period (anywhere from 3 to 20 years depending on the state).

Last edited by marigolds6; 12-09-2014 at 08:56 AM..

Old 12-09-2014, 09:28 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The DOJ model policy requires supervisor review of all footage before it can be deleted. Considering the cost of storage ($0.125 per GB per month), that footage will be reviewed.

More importantly, the footage is subject to sunshine law and you will have people like the anonymous person in Seattle who will sunshine request all footage every day and post it all on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/user/policevideorequests). One of the more interesting notes on the video is that one of the departments is abandoning their body cam program because the channel operator requested 700 videos from them totaling 900 hrs; two staff members are reviewing and editing the videos at a rate of 10 per day adding up to a total of 1120 hours of staff time. Like many states, Washington caps the amount that a department can charge for a request. Once the footage is sunshine law requested, you have to retain it for a full document retention period (anywhere from 3 to 20 years depending on the state).
This is the kind of problem that I am worry about. I work in the pharmaceutical industry and we save all documentation for 20 years. With police body cameras I can picture groups or lawyers looking for any weakness and way to support their cause of get money out of the system. I can picture some groups protesting because 3 year document retention is not enough, or 5 years is not enough - some people will bicker over anything.

It isn't only that; but attitudes change. What was acceptable years ago is not acceptable now.

We also have the winners and losers with the technology investment. Which companies made the right political donations? Contracts will be awarded for the cameras and storage of the footage. Others will benefit from the review of the information.

Possibly I am over thinking this? But I am sure that there will be some problems - like the person in Seattle.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:37 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,652 times
Yes, it's time to institute surveillance on any/all employee/associates of government responsibilities. There's good cops and bad cops, surveillance will help to separate the conflicted. 'A' surveillance device should be mounted on both the cop as well as his vehicle, if any. With sound.

A purpose here is that after beginning a program of surveillance, the methods and purposes will change. It can help to devise newer methods of law enforcement, needs for patrol, procedures, training, or other benefits. The goal to improve the application of law enforcement, not to harass enforcement and/or citizens.

Just as law enforcement can no longer expect privacy - not being filmed by cell phone - while on duty, citizens shouldn't expect a like privacy while in public. Feel free to knock yourselves about while in the privacy of your own home, but don't bring your clown act to a public place.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
A huge number of people support this. Christie vetoed a bill that would have required dash cams in all police cruisers. I think that will hurt him in a presidential bid.
Wow good man, thanks for sharing.

Good to see someone giving the middle finger to pointless laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies