Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 05:59 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually its became an issue recently because the "threats you lay out are not part of reality" started to actually occur. The FCC lost a court case some time ago on this, and some of the larger companies started throttling netflix in order to get more money out of them for example.

The quality of network you paid for at your end, was reduced in order for them to get more out of netflix.

I swear this is the second thread about this, and the sheer ignorance of so many posters is mind boggling. They try and turn it into a republican vs democrat issue when it isnt. They try and say the government is trying to control the internet, when its really about keeping the internet we have instead of making it worse.
Are not other Republicans lining up with Ted Cruz? I'd be very surprised if they don't, as the modern Republican party can be counted on to support Big Business' interests at the expense of average Americans almost regardless of issue.

I'm a conservative who deplores what big business has done to this country. In recent years the battle between Democrats and Republicans has been to determine which party can hurt average Americans more. Obama is unequaled in that vein, but he isn't quite always wrong. In this rare case, I believe his stance is coincidentally in our best interest. Big Business, unbridled, will lay waste to everything in it's path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 07:28 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Excellent example of what's known as

RIDICULOUS FEAR-MONGERING.
it's not FEAR MONGERING WHEN IT'S ALREADY HAPPENED

Old 11-12-2014, 07:29 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
Ted Cruz wants to make sure independent sites are inaccessible compared to major corporate sites that can afford kickbacks to internet providers. Conservatives want to kill this very site and grassroots internet in favor of corporate monopolization of the internet

Ted Cruz Says Net Neutrality Is

"the Internet should not operate at the speed of government."

My interpretation is just the OPPOSITE of yours.

Do you now ANYTHING fast the fed does? I don't.

IMO, he is saying that the Internet is FASTER then anything the fed does and IT should NOT be slowed down to the gov't pace.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The reality is why should my neighbor pay the same price for internet as I do when she only goes on facebook etc while I use more bandwidth streaming in a week than see will use in a year. Everyone wants something for free in the truth so often.Free does not bring investment and innovation in reality either. Once government regulate they will also start charging even more and more various taxes to do the regulation. Once they get into the mix that isn't all they will control thru regulating. Regulation is control ;plain and simple.
why should I pay the pay the same for unlimited talk and texts as a friend of mine?? I make ~50 calls a month using my cell phone. She makes 500 a month.

please stop giving Verizon, et al reason to charge EVEN MORE.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Some of the posts in this thread are a joke. There is absolutely no increase in consumer choice by eliminating net neutrality. You could say that having it hurts businesses (ISPs) and you'd then have an actual argument. But in no way shape or form would there be any benefit to consumers.
THANK YOU! finally

Old 11-12-2014, 07:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"the Internet should not operate at the speed of government."

My interpretation is just the OPPOSITE of yours.

Do you now ANYTHING fast the fed does? I don't.

IMO, he is saying that the Internet is FASTER then anything the fed does and IT should NOT be slowed down to the gov't pace.
It has nothing to do with limiting anything. In a nutshell and assuming you are paying for a 10Mbps at your home net neutrality simply means the ISP doesn't get to pick and choose what sites and services get the full 10Mbps that you the consumer are already paying for.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:32 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
If the internet is a free market all speeds, throttling and or other services will balance out. Getting the government to figure out what a gigabit speed, vs and who still use AOL for email should not be making LAWS that effect a business.
NOW if those businesses are trying to do things with regulations and or in government then I ask what constitutional authority does government really have over communications.

This is nothing more then people in congress who have no clue what they are talking about, businesses and the computer giants hope you dont notice their chance to let government push out the other guy in competition.

Just like they do with EVERY thing.

Just ask Reagan said..

If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
Since they are having are hard time REALLY TAXING it they are looking to regulate first, then tax, the subsidize it.

They have done this with cell phones, tax them, regulate and now they give out welfare phones.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:43 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,158,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
You people have bitten the propaganda and now regurgitate it back as if the thoughts were your own.

The internet is just fine. It does not need government intervention. These same arguments for net neutrality have been repeated for years and, in all that time, none of these scare stories have come true.
Exactly how would the things that would happen if net neutrality ended happen if it did not end, your argument makes no sense. How can you say that no consequences happened yet when net neutrality hasn't ended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
This is more liberal horsepoop. If you feel that your internet provider won't let you get access to a mom and pop website versus those evil corporate websites, switch your internet provider. I have three options where I live for broadband. Coax Cable, Verizon Fios, and 4G.
That makes no sense if every provider in your area decided to do the same thing and throttle the sites that aren't coughing up the cash. Republicans are supposed to be pro-business but they would be killing every mom and pop internet operation in favor of helping out their corporate overlords. Every small business website in America would be painfully slow to load. It's frightening how any person who isn't immensely wealthy would support this massive corporate handout, guess Rush's propaganda organ is operating very smoothly these days.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:34 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Are not other Republicans lining up with Ted Cruz? I'd be very surprised if they don't, as the modern Republican party can be counted on to support Big Business' interests at the expense of average Americans almost regardless of issue.
It is a time of much ideological uncertainty, because some businesses (Comcast, Verizon) hate NN, and other businesses (Amazon, NetFlix, Google, ebay, PayPal etc.) are very much in favor. With business interests on both side, what can a Republican do?

Cruz of course speaks for his actual constituency - that is to say, Verizon. He'll get the support of those who'd stop breathing if President Obama was pro-oxygen, and of those who have realized that hating government kinda looks like a political position, and it cuts down on all that pesky thinking. A few of the latter in this thread.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:46 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

I'm a conservative who deplores what big business has done to this country. In recent years the battle between Democrats and Republicans has been to determine which party can hurt average Americans more. Obama is unequaled in that vein, but he isn't quite always wrong. In this rare case, I believe his stance is coincidentally in our best interest. Big Business, unbridled, will lay waste to everything in it's path.
83% of Republicans when polled were for net neutrality.

that was of course before Obama said he was. I'd love to know the % now....You'd stick with your beliefs obviously, but I bet a large % wouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies