Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 07:04 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,614 times

Advertisements

From the Washington Post.

I taught my black kids that their elite upbringing would protect them from discrimination. I was wrong. - The Washington Post

What say you, White Male Republicans who think that the worst form of racism today is affirmative action and minorities accusing Whites of racism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 07:23 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
I'm and independent but I think the whole story is fiction.....

Old 11-11-2014, 07:40 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Well, let's change the story and put in ...

"Kid"
"Geek"
"fatty"
"wuss"
"prettyboy"
"Bi***"
and about 200 other words you could put in there and you'll notice that every last one of them hinges on what the ONE WHO IS CALLED NAMES thinks of themselves. Wait until they get slightly older an they called "Oreos" and other insulting things for being educated, smart, and capable.

Then let's revisit this and see if racism is really the factor, or if it's about something else entirely...

Old 11-11-2014, 07:58 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
From the Washington Post.

I taught my black kids that their elite upbringing would protect them from discrimination. I was wrong. - The Washington Post

What say you, White Male Republicans who think that the worst form of racism today is affirmative action and minorities accusing Whites of racism?
Yes, affirmative action is worse than some kid being called the "n" word at an elitist east coast prep school. At least he is at that prep school, there is a good chance that some Asian or white kid was refused entry to that school so that racial quotas could be met.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:00 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I'm and independent but I think the whole story is fiction.....
i think its fake too.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:02 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Yes, affirmative action is worse than some kid being called the "n" word at an elitist east coast prep school. At least he is at that prep school, there is a good chance that some Asian or white kid was refused entry to that school so that racial quotas could be met.
So in your book it would be acceptable to call anyone the N word if you thought affirmative actions somehow was involved at sometime in their life. How about the President and most black americans today. Would you condone conservatives calling them the N word because somehow you thought they were the recipients of affirmative action. How about in the military do you think it would be acceptable to call superior officers the N word? Just wondering.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:07 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,614 times
A lot of people seem to think that the emotional and psychological effect of being called a n*gger is equivalent to being called a wuss, geek, or a cracker: something you can just "get over" and blame a single drunk person for.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:09 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Meanwhile in Texas, black teacher fired for calling whites "crackers". I bet their moms didn't expect their kids to face racism either.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:10 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
So in your book it would be acceptable to call anyone the N word if you thought affirmative actions somehow was involved at sometime in their life. How about the President and most black americans today. Would you condone conservatives calling them the N word because somehow you thought they were the recipients of affirmative action. How about in the military do you think it would be acceptable to call superior officers the N word? Just wondering.
Stop it please. The POTUS is only half "Black' tho Mr Obama sees himself as a Black dude. He's just as "white".

Tossing out the N word is just stupid. Part of why I say that is because many younger Black dudes have taken it back and use it against each other. Kinda like "Redneck" used to be a big slur but many people "see" themselves as Rednecks, even some Black people because they like the country life.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:11 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
A lot of people seem to think that the emotional and psychological effect of being called a n*gger is equivalent to being called a wuss, geek, or a cracker: something you can just "get over" and blame a single drunk person for.
Some people never learned

Quote:
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me.
As one of those bright, geeky kids in my youth, I didn't learn it very well, either, until later in life.

But I did learn it's true. Maturity does wonders. And the words did not actually harm me, either.

Perhaps a dose of reality, instead of twaddle would help out a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies