Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 01:13 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,763,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Court- ordered rehab is common stuff. In most cases, the state pays private rehabs a per dime/ pp.
..and it works!

The difference is that if drugs are legal, the rehab would be mostly self-imposed, which has a much higher success rate. I can't see a better place to shift those corporate prison dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 04:12 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,380,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
TB is now a big issue in homeless shelters.
Many require them to show their "card" which shows they tested negative for TB within the past year.
HIV is another biggie that they are requiring testing for.

And some people wonder why some of the homeless reject the 'help' offered by shelters. The ones who are just poor and broke won't go near a shelter if they can help it.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Send them to work camps. Make them earn a roof over their heads.

What about those who actually have jobs?

Old 11-13-2014, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Best advice for you-open a shelter and operate it any way you like.

Zoning is often an obstacle.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:11 AM

15,755 posts, read 7,558,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
thinks that if any of them are abusing drugs or alcohol, they need to stay on the streets, end of story.
I know if I was running a shelter, to try to help them out, but if it became plagued with drugs and booze, mostly since it people just sneaked it in, I wouldn't think anything about closing it down on the spot.
Sadly, it seems to me, that that's why so many people, even if it's not most, are against homeless shelters, especially for men, in their neighborhoods. Heard of too many stories of needles and booze bottles being left around places, where these shelters or assistance centers exist. If there was some way, to guarantee, that they would be drug and alcohol free, I don't think any one would take issue with any homeless shelter or assistance.
Is there any realistic way to do a drug test, with results on the spot, as a condition of entry?
Asking, since I believe in the Christian principle that Jesus said (if you do good to those who are most vulnerable, you do on to me as well), but, I positively draw the line if they are drug users or boozers who have no interest in stopping.
Jesus also said, those who have not sinned cast the first stone.

It isn't a question of a person's right as it is a question to a person's sense of humanity.

Christ was the greatest humanitarian to ever walk the face of this earth. Good luck people, finding His path.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:17 AM

15,755 posts, read 7,558,709 times
Hide the fishes and the loaves of bread, the law is coming

Man, 90, arrested again this week for feeding the homeless - NY Daily News

Old 11-13-2014, 06:20 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,796,946 times
Come on,some people cannot be serious.

Just provide homeless drug abusers shelter just because?

Why stop there? Some of you are against providing free shelter for women and kids yet would give drug abusers free homes?

Nope i would not.

i do not care about them being druggies,but free housing for one group and not others? nope

Old 11-13-2014, 08:40 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,400,716 times
Just a few thoughts here: for anyone who thinks people are opposed to providing shelter to women and kids who have been abused but will provide it for druggy homeless people better be able to back a stupid statement like that up. Next, though I have mixed feelings about legalizing drugs, anyone who thinks that will cut down on the use of drugs and homeless people needs to get their head out of the sand and no, I do not think it is the responsibility of the government to provide housing and rehab centers for addicts. If private clinics and charitable organizations want to do this; great, but stop giving the poor and down another reason to depend on the government. Better to try and help them stand on their own 2 feet. Work programs with training is a better answer. Even if it is nothing more than requiring them to sweep the roads or pick up trash. And if while in training or being given shelter they break the rules even once, they are out on their own. This might sound harsh but we can not always be our brothers keeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies