Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 06:07 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If it is meant as satire for adults then there is absolutely no reason to give it to children, right?

In my view it is to make Satanism seem like a nice, safe and benign thing. I absolutely see it as indoctrination.
Then you surely see the same thing with having bibles in a secular public school. yes? Bible is no different.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:23 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Then you surely see the same thing with having bibles in a secular public school. yes? Bible is no different.
If you read my posts in this thread then you would already know that I'm not a fan of having bibles in school at all. I also don't believe that two wrongs make a right. I can be against both bibles in school and against satanic coloring books being in school.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:31 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
If you read my posts in this thread then you would already know that I'm not a fan of having bibles in school at all. I also don't believe that two wrongs make a right. I can be against both bibles in school and against satanic coloring books being in school.
That's good. I just didn't see you write anything about bible indoctrinating children like you said these Satanists coloring books will. I could be wrong. That's my only issue. I think we both agree that none of this belongs in public schools unless it is a comparative religion course. Learning about the different religions is important IMO so I have no issue with the schools teaching it. My issue arises when the school gives preference. That's all...

Old 11-15-2014, 01:24 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Sorry, it's a legal consequence of conservatives wanting to distribute their biblical propaganda in public schools. If it's good for the goose it's good for the gander.
While I get the spirit of your comments, neither the Church of Satan nor the Temple of Set admits members under the age of 18, so it would seem it is not "organized" Satanists who are trying to put this foolishness in schools. Indoctrinating children into a particular religious belief is actually an anathema to Satanic philosophy.

Now, if we are discussing the "sacrifice the baby" Satanic cultists as profiled in the cultsploitation bestseller "Michelle Remembers", I could see why they would be pushing a coloring book on the schools in an organized attempt to draw your sweet child directly into the arms of the Prince of Darkness. Unfortunately, such organized cults were long debunked by the FBI, and the few self-styled "devil worshipers" that really are out there are far to secretive and antisocial to come up with a stunt like this. This seems more the work of anti-xtian athiests trying to make a lame political point rather than anything else.

I did laugh out loud when I saw it tho. Is there anywhere you can order a copy online?

Old 11-15-2014, 10:12 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
I can be against both bibles in school and against satanic coloring books being in school.
That's the liberal's position.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:37 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
This seems more the work of anti-xtian athiests trying to make a lame political point rather than anything else.

Exactly. This is why the coloring book is not indoctrination. Had the school board relented and kept Christian material out of the school, these 'Satanic' coloring books would never have seen the light of day.

Furthermore, as far as the content of the coloring books, they contain no doctrinal material. They contain standard children's puzzles and games with some spoofish imagery of pentagrams, toads, and cauldrons. It's silly by any standard.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That's the liberal's position.
Since I'm not a "liberal" then I guess that kind of proves the point that trying to boil this down to a "liberal vs conservative" black and white issue is kind of silly.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Exactly. This is why the coloring book is not indoctrination. Had the school board relented and kept Christian material out of the school, these 'Satanic' coloring books would never have seen the light of day.

Furthermore, as far as the content of the coloring books, they contain no doctrinal material. They contain standard children's puzzles and games with some spoofish imagery of pentagrams, toads, and cauldrons. It's silly by any standard.
It absolutely is indoctrination. "Satan is a nice and cool guy" type of indoctrination." He's not the big scary guy that everyone thinks he is". It's conditioning. I can't imagine many parents being ok with this.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:20 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Since I'm not a "liberal" then I guess that kind of proves the point that trying to boil this down to a "liberal vs conservative" black and white issue is kind of silly.
Just because you're breaking ranks and not in the vast minority doesn't mean it's not a liberal/conservative issue. If any issue can be described as liberal/conservative, it's this issue.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:27 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Indoctrinating children with the values favoring the dominant social class is absolutely a conservative issue; it's basically the definition of conservatism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies