Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fracking
Yes 70 57.85%
No 44 36.36%
Not sure 7 5.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 07:26 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times

Advertisements

[quote=nononsenseguy;37281978]Fracking fluid is about 98% water. The additives used are chemicals commonly found in household products such as, cosmetics, laundry detergent, make-up remover, disinfectants, etc.

Your objection to fracking is based purely on your particular political agenda, and you are uninformed. You are simply accepting the propaganda you read from like minded liberals who claim to be "for science," but apparently are not. They claim to be for "progress," but are not.

So according to you it ok to get up in the morning and wash your face and put your makeup on at the same time because it's in the water.

Here is another one from your own report that I wouldn't want in my water in any amount.
Friction Reducer
Polyacrylamide
Mineral oil
Minimizes friction between the fluid and the pipe
Water treatment, soil conditioner
make-up remover, laxatives, and candy

Great now you can put on your makeup and take it off at the same time all while washing your face and taking a dump.

You can only bounce a ball on your nose for so long. Then you have to form an opinion on your own. The basis for you argument is your right and I'm wrong. You have all the science I don't. I'm a liberal your not.
Same old crap different day.

In earlier post I have made clear my position. When I turn on the water I actually want water to come out if you don't than I'm fine with that.

Last edited by phma; 11-15-2014 at 07:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 07:34 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
If I remember right the Kennedys did not want to look at windmills.
Yup your right, makes no difference. One was because their view was hurt and the other was because he needed to protect his water and air.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:40 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
If the chemicals they add are so good for you then why don't they add them to the municipal water supply. Were expose to enough chemicals I don't need to drink them, if others do it won't bother me.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:53 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Everything that you think is progress ain't necessarily so.

We're getting a new battery plant down here...I'm all for it. That's progress to me.

Having trucks tear up roads and bridges, causing accidents, moving their families here (where water is already scarce), thereby necessitating new school, housing and road construction, man camps all over the place...that ain't progress to me.

If that's progress to you, have at it. I ain't mad at cha. Do you...I'll do me.

As for some frac company waving money in my face, let's see them do it first, then I'll tell you my reaction. Nevermind the hypotheticals.

But right now? Don't want it in my town, county or state...period.
I live in SW Pa. and believe me, I have heard NO complaints from anyone or any reports of problems, it is a nice economic shot in the arm in this area.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:07 AM

604 posts, read 933,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I live in SW Pa. and believe me, I have heard NO complaints from anyone or any reports of problems, it is a nice economic shot in the arm in this area.
Many of the complainants are those far away folks who watch fiction like the film "Gasland", a complete distortion of the reality in S.W. PA. and the fracking process (and think, it won an emmy for "non-fiction film making". NON fiction-are you kidding?). Thank you Ghostrider for giving us a dose of reality!

Old 11-15-2014, 09:41 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Good. And perhaps where you live is also so ugly that a bunch of drilling rigs actually spruces up the place.

We don't need it...economically or otherwise. You can have it.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:54 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Good. And perhaps where you live is also so ugly that a bunch of drilling rigs actually spruces up the place.

We don't need it...economically or otherwise. You can have it.
The rigs are ugly and noisy and the truck traffic annoying. It takes a few months for them to build a pad, drill and then they leave. The Pads in my area (farm country) are pretty much in isolated areas. I can see one from my house. It's about 1200 meters from my property. It is less an eyesore than say a self storage lot, a car lot, a train yard, any street in Ny city, most of Baltimore, etc.
No noise from it after the drilling is completed and the wells are in place. The Pipe lines are under ground and resemble a power line.
The drilling rigs are a temporary annoyance. The $1500 a month I get from gas royalties go into my retirement, I treat it as money found. Most people are idiots and spend it like water assuming it will always be there. It can go from $1500 to zero and has in fact dropped to as low as $150.00...
You show me a city and I'll show you many eyesores. These drilling pads clean up nice and after a few years become almost invisible until you are on top of them. No I wouldn't want one on my property unless they gave me market value for my property and then I would move. The issue wouldn't be the pad, it would be strangers being allowed to come and go as they please.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:19 AM

604 posts, read 933,904 times
Quote:
Yes, and think....we could choose those artsy windmills that are covering open fields and hills instead Personally I think natural gas is the real savior of the planet.

As Robert Boyce recently wrote “The best way to protect the environment is to get richer,” he asserts. “Wealthy countries can afford to protect the environment. Poor ones generally can’t."

Old 11-15-2014, 10:30 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The rigs are ugly and noisy and the truck traffic annoying. It takes a few months for them to build a pad, drill and then they leave. The Pads in my area (farm country) are pretty much in isolated areas. I can see one from my house. It's about 1200 meters from my property. It is less an eyesore than say a self storage lot, a car lot, a train yard, any street in Ny city, most of Baltimore, etc.
No noise from it after the drilling is completed and the wells are in place. The Pipe lines are under ground and resemble a power line.
The drilling rigs are a temporary annoyance. The $1500 a month I get from gas royalties go into my retirement, I treat it as money found. Most people are idiots and spend it like water assuming it will always be there. It can go from $1500 to zero and has in fact dropped to as low as $150.00...
You show me a city and I'll show you many eyesores. These drilling pads clean up nice and after a few years become almost invisible until you are on top of them. No I wouldn't want one on my property unless they gave me market value for my property and then I would move. The issue wouldn't be the pad, it would be strangers being allowed to come and go as they please.
I don't know...my skepticism runs really high with that stuff.

I just don't want it. This desert has very scarce water resources. Why even take the risk if you don't need to?

And that's the thing...we're getting along fine without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
Yes, and think....we could choose those artsy windmills that are covering open fields and hills instead Personally I think natural gas is the real savior of the planet.

As Robert Boyce recently wrote “The best way to protect the environment is to get richer,” he asserts. “Wealthy countries can afford to protect the environment. Poor ones generally can’t."
Meh...I'll pass. The rest of you can have it. Don't need it or want it around.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:41 AM

350 posts, read 477,366 times
I live in NEPA in the center of a LOT of gas well development. I am a liberal. I believe in science.

As so many, I am concerned about our environment and how the gas industry treats the development of gas wells and pipelines in our rural communities. While, there are some negative incidents, overall, it's had a positive impact on our general area. The temporary inconvenience of derricks and trucks also has added $$$ to a lot of local businesses and a lot of jobs have opened up in a community that had little variety of employment.

If you research coal or oil, you will find their development is a LOT more intrusive, disgusting and detrimental to our environment and climate, yet we continue to development more of them, even when they have regular environmental 'accidents.' Development of natural gas could help change some of that.

People that say 'no fracking' still want to heat their homes, still drive cars, still use many resources connected to fossil fuels. And while it's not without issues and should have watchdogs, I have no problem with the development of this resource.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies