Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:24 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,522,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edspace View Post
Think about it. If we lower taxes, that gives everyone, including the self-proclaimed LIBERALS more disposable income. And since they care so much about the poor, illegal aliens, poor women needing abortions or childcare, then they would have more money in their pockets to give to them. But, if we keep raising taxes, all the money gets strained out by the government bureaucrats and it never reaches all these 'worthy causes' of the down-trodden. So if we drop taxes WAY low, the money could pass directly from the hands of these "we-care-about-the-poor-and-you-don't" into all those poor victims they want to help.

C'mon, LIBS, what do you say? I mean, if you don't want the government telling gays they can't marry or woman they can't have abortions, then why would you want the government to handle the money that you want to go for helping the poor?

Now the far right has said, "LIBs only help the poor with other people's money and never their own." But this would give them a chance to prove otherwise. With super low taxes, we would all eventually discover for sure who really cares about the poor and who doesn't.
Concerning the last paragraph: Since liberals aren't tax exempt, their money is also going to help the poor. The far right are morons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 09:26 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edspace View Post
Think about it. If we lower taxes, that gives everyone, including the self-proclaimed LIBERALS more disposable income. And since they care so much about the poor, illegal aliens, poor women needing abortions or childcare, then they would have more money in their pockets to give to them. But, if we keep raising taxes, all the money gets strained out by the government bureaucrats and it never reaches all these 'worthy causes' of the down-trodden. So if we drop taxes WAY low, the money could pass directly from the hands of these "we-care-about-the-poor-and-you-don't" into all those poor victims they want to help.

C'mon, LIBS, what do you say? I mean, if you don't want the government telling gays they can't marry or woman they can't have abortions, then why would you want the government to handle the money that you want to go for helping the poor?

Now the far right has said, "LIBs only help the poor with other people's money and never their own." But this would give them a chance to prove otherwise. With super low taxes, we would all eventually discover for sure who really cares about the poor and who doesn't.
I don't see why Liberals should have to prove they want to help the poor any more than Conservatives should have to prove they really want to stop the illegals. Taxes pay for scads of things besides programs for those with low incomes. Infrastructure, defense, fighting ISIS, making sure our borders aren't even more over-run than they already are, etc., etc. would all have to be cut along with anti-poverty programs if taxes were lowered. This being so, the flip side of your question is would conservatives use their new found wealth to fight illegal immigration or would they use it to go on vacation to the beach? Don't all raise your hands at once.

And as an aside, US politicians personally couldn't care what the tax rate is and no longer have the need to "strain" anything from it. Every since Citizens United and before, Washington's kickbacks come straight from the International Corporations who buy themselves their very own members of Congress from both sides of the aisle. Congress is feeling no pain these days and flying high. I don't think they give anything to the poor either, and I'm sure they hire illegals by the scads.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:40 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Taxes are already extremely low compared to where they use to be in the past. When do conservatives hit that point that lowering taxes too low is bad?

Nonsense post. Refuted by IRS stats time and time again. Marginal rates. Effective rates. Huge difference.

The effective rate hasn't changed much in 80 years. Except for the lowest quartile. They are making out like bandits.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Examples, please.
Wealth Sharing and big government in taking more and more of the national GDP. Then regulation of production.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:13 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Nonsense post. Refuted by IRS stats time and time again. Marginal rates. Effective rates. Huge difference.

The effective rate hasn't changed much in 80 years. Except for the lowest quartile. They are making out like bandits.
This is only a half truth. Here is a nice interactive link to show you where you are right and where you are wrong.

Here’s the US tax rate on your income for every year since 1913 – Quartz

The only ones "making out like bandits" are anyone making more than $200K who have seen their effective rates drop throughout the years, especially those that are the top earners.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:25 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times
How anyone can think that funneling our hard earned money to the government is good is beyond me. Obviously it's either and or three things... as long as it's someone else's money, they hope it will trickle to them, or Gruber (Democrat) who called Americans stupid is right.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:27 PM

I used to give to the poor in many ways. Now I just say... have fun getting my money from the government.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
How anyone can think that funneling our hard earned money to the government is good is beyond me. Obviously it's either and or three things... as long as it's someone else's money, they hope it will trickle to them, or Gruber (Democrat) who called Americans stupid is right.
I know right, if only our country could figure a way to function without needing to collect a single tax dollar.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I know right, if only our country could figure a way to function without needing to collect a single tax dollar.
Your such a drama king urban life lol. I'll bet you have your fingers in the government confiscated till. Yep and if only our country could function with a huge chunk of our money going to the government.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Your such a drama king urban life lol. I'll bet you have your fingers in the government confiscated till. Yep and if only our country could function with a huge chunk of our money going to the government.
Well let me know when right wingers figure out how a country can function with no tax dollars. I am sure those in the military would work for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies