Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 11:38 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times

Advertisements

Just end the war on drugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 11:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Good lord, some of the anti-drug folks like LauraC are really out of touch. Let me help

Anytime your war on X involves primarily your own population in a adversarial role, you're doing it wrong.

Those who advocate hard prison time for drug use have quite the authoritarian streak, don't they? Yeah, great idea. Let's waste even more time, money, and resources incarcerating those for drug use, mixing them with some really dangerous hardcore criminals, like murders, and rapists, and screw them up for life, because they put something in their bodies that some may disagree with!

Old 11-17-2014, 11:48 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Those who advocate hard prison time for drug use have quite the authoritarian streak, don't they? Yeah, great idea. Let's waste even more time, money, and resources incarcerating those for drug use, mixing them with some really dangerous hardcore criminals, like murders, and rapists, and screw them up for life, because they put something in their bodies that some may disagree with!
It is quite common for well meaning government programs to produce results which are the opposite of what was intended.

A new example is the laws against texting while driving. They have stopped very few people from texting. But what they have done is encourage people to text below their window level so as to avoid being seen. That means they have to look down to text and increase their risk of an accident even more.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It is quite common for well meaning government programs to produce results which are the opposite of what was intended.

A new example is the laws against texting while driving. They have stopped very few people from texting. But what they have done is encourage people to text below their window level so as to avoid being seen. That means they have to look down to text and increase their risk of an accident even more.
Its short sighted as well. When cars begin driving themselves, which is not that far off in the future, what about DUI and texting laws?

I took a trip to Florida last weekend. If my car drove itself, if I send a text, why should I get a fine while it drives 500 miles without my assistance or direction?

Old 11-17-2014, 12:32 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post

I hate to politicise the issue, but again I think any short term efforts to wind down the drug war has to be spearheaded by Republicans. Democrats can win on the state level with the issue, but the federal apparatus has to taken on by a white Republican as that's probably the only way to bring older conservatives along.
But sometimes they prefer not to. Check this out;

How Democrats derailed marijuana legalization in California - The Washington Post

Old 11-17-2014, 12:52 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Prison is a well meaning government program?

What do you call the alternative (tax payer funded treatment)?

Old 11-17-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Prison is a well meaning government program?

What do you call the alternative (tax payer funded treatment)?
I believe he is saying the war on drugs, or elimination of drugs. It causes more problems then it solves.

And no, not all people need to be treated for the drugs they consume, marijuana is one drug that has no physical addiction, and doesn't need treatment.

Other drugs, if someone wants to be off of them, they need to use the insurance that they are mandated to have as part of their citizenship now. My health insurance has mental health and addiction treatment covered, most do now.

So again, it is a massive waste of money, on a well meaning program, to continue the drug war.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:07 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I believe he is saying the war on drugs, or elimination of drugs. It causes more problems then it solves.

And no, not all people need to be treated for the drugs they consume, marijuana is one drug that has no physical addiction, and doesn't need treatment.

Other drugs, if someone wants to be off of them, they need to use the insurance that they are mandated to have as part of their citizenship now. My health insurance has mental health and addiction treatment covered, most do now.

So again, it is a massive waste of money, on a well meaning program, to continue the drug war.
I think law enforcement is more than a well meaning program, it is a Constitutional mandate, but I guess we can agree to disagree.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think law enforcement is more than a well meaning program, it is a Constitutional mandate, but I guess we can agree to disagree.
Really?

I don't recall any part of the constitution mentioning law enforcement. Can you point that out? It talks about upholding the law, but it doesn't mention law enforcement. Thats up to the discretion of the Executive branch and the states. Before the FBI, we didn't have federal law enforcement.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:02 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,728,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The War on Drugs will continue to fail because they go after dealers and cartels instead of users. It's like going after hookers instead of Johns. It's a failed strategy and all of these years later they still haven't learned. If you want to dry up the business, make it bad for business by taking out the consumer. Open drug prisons and put drug users in them. Drug users are the pimples on the ass of society. Who holds up stores and banks? Not drug dealers. Who snatches purses and kills people for money? Not drug dealers. Who breaks into your homes to steal something they can sell? Not drug dealers. Who is responsible for neglect of their children? Not drug dealers. Who can't hold a job?

Drug dealers murder each other, steal from each other. If you aren't a criminal yourself, the chances are probably very small that you will be a victim of a drug dealer.

It's time to have dedicated prisons for drug users, round them up and get them off the streets for a couple of years. Their rehab can be done in user-dedicated prison. Rich or poor - to drug user prison you go.

do you realize just how many people do some sort of drug in just the usa??

weed... could be up to 50 million users in the us alone

alcohol 50 million users..

cocaine 10 million users.

heroin?? 2 to 3 million users..

meth 2 to 3 million users..

prescription opiates?? gazillions of users..

not to mention all the other ones, to many to list...

putting people in jail doesn't work!!!! alcoholics don't get sent to jail as long as you are not bothering, harming anyone.. why should some one else that has the same problem as an alcoholic go to prison because he or she does cocaine..

and especially weed!!! weed is the safest drug out there why should someone get sent to prison for a substance that is like 10 fold safer than alcohol..??

and by the way, all the people I known over the years that smoke pot did not rob anyone to get weed!!! that's a blanket statement you're making.. that's like saying all people that drink alcohol are alcoholics..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies