Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 03:29 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well it is the same reason why the consumer can no longer buy leaded gasoline. Sometimes products become obsolete and are no longer manufactured even if there are some consumers out there that can't seem to understand why.
Leaded gasoline was never "obsolete". Neither are incandescent light bulbs. That's why both are still produced.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:34 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times
Quote:
That is a form of being obsolete, there was a better form of gasoline, thus we switched to that. There is a better form of light, so we have also switched to that. Why there are still people still crying over incandescent bulbs is beyond me.
Better for who?

Old 11-15-2014, 03:45 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Quote:
I doubt it, seems like a waste of time trying to go back to obsolete technology.
Except many people don't own the new fixtures needed for the new bulbs. I will have to replace all of the fixtures in my basement when my supply of incandescent bulbs runs out. They're recessed and the CFL's burn out quickly in them. LED's are too dim. I'd need 4 times as many fixtures. I tried LED's in my bathroom and it's like a dungeon.

Do they even make CFL's or LED's for the inside of my oven? And what about my grand daughter's easy bake oven?

Old 11-15-2014, 03:45 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,293,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Now that Republicans will control both houses, will they try to repeal the ban on certain incandescent bulbs? A moot point, perhaps, since Pres. Bush signed it into law seven years ago. And light bulb makers had already planned to discontinue them, aren't likely to produce them again. Even the Compact Fluorescents, which took their place, will be obsolete in a few years. Congress might try to legalize the old bulbs, but can't compel anyone to make them.
Nonetheless, I expect someone to introduce such a bill, in the name of freedom.
Why would you expect someone to introduce such a bill? I think at the present time we have much larger issues to contend with, such as (and to my mind, most importantly) the abuse of power of the President, the disregard for the Constitution, ridding ourselves of the albatross that is the ACA, the high unemployment, and many other critical issues.

However, I would be in support of lifting the ridiculous ban on one of the best inventions in human history. The replacements for the standard incandescent light bulb are inferior. They burn out frequently (I have put some bulbs in only to have them burn out in a matter of days!) and they are more expensive.

If the ban were lifted, and there was a demand for the "old" bulbs, somebody would produce them. Surely, GE still has the facilities, the equipment, and the capability (we used to take school trips to Nela Park in East Cleveland, OH, when I was a child, to see lighting demonstrations, and how light bulbs were made).

I wonder what photographers do now without photo floods, so important in photography? Or are they still available? I may still have one or two laying around from my photo days (I still have my darkroom equipment).

Old 11-15-2014, 03:48 AM

Quote:
I doubt it, seems like a waste of time trying to go back to obsolete technology.
The technology isn't obsolete as long as the replacement is inferior (which it is).

Old 11-15-2014, 03:50 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Except many people don't own the new fixtures needed for the new bulbs. I will have to replace all of the fixtures in my basement when my supply of incandescent bulbs runs out. They're recessed and the CFL's burn out quickly in them. LED's are too dim. I'd need 4 times as many fixtures. I tried LED's in my bathroom and it's like a dungeon.

Do they even make CFL's or LED's for the inside of my oven? And what about my grand daughter's easy bake oven?
the new LEDs are pretty good, and pretty bright...different color though....its the $20+ a pop that's a killer right now

Old 11-15-2014, 03:52 AM

Quote:
That is a form of being obsolete, there was a better form of gasoline, thus we switched to that. There is a better form of light, so we have also switched to that. Why there are still people still crying over incandescent bulbs is beyond me.
Because many of us have not remodeled our houses lately so we don't have fixtures that can take the new bulbs. I have a finished basement with recessed covered lighting. CFL's last about an hour before they overheat and I have to figure out how to dispose of them because they contain mercury. I'm on my last incandescent bulbs. I guess I'll be ordering them from China soon because I am not replacing my entire basement ceiling because of new light bulbs.

Personally, I'm fed up with them because they just don't last and they're very expensive. There is no reason I should be going through them in my bathroom but I am. I've already replaced CFL's three times over since I first put them in there (four lamps on a bar that are open to the room so there shouldn't be an issue.) I can't use LED's there because they just don't give off enough light. I'd need to triple the length of the light bar to use LED's.

Also I have appliances that take incandescents like my oven, my 3-way lamps and my lava lamp. I can't see making them illegal. Slap a tax on them but don't make them illegal. I use CFL's where I can but I can't in all of my fixtures. This is costing me a fortune. What I find really interesting is that my bills have not gone down as a result of putting in CFL's and LED's. I'm must paying an arm and a leg for bulbs that don't last as long as the old incandescents and then I'm tossing bulbs that contain mercury. I'm really tired of replacing them. My guess is I need to redo the wiring in my house and replace my fixtures to stop burning through the new bulbs. That's just ridiculous.

I am not doing so well with supposedly cost saving technology. I replaced my furnace with a high efficiency furnace only to find my electric bills went up because the blower on the new furnace is so much bigger than the one on the old one (gas went down but electric went up more). We used to just leave the blower running all the time when we had the old furnace because that kept the house more comfortable on all three levels but we can't do that with the new furnace. Just running the blower when the heat/cooling is on costs me more than running it all the time with the old furnace....and all to save $12/month in gas for 5 months out of the year...electric went up for summer usage because of the bigger blower...sigh.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 11-15-2014 at 04:01 AM..

Old 11-15-2014, 03:59 AM

Quote:
If incandescent bulbs are so important to you, then just make your own. For the rest of us, it is an obsolete technology and we are okay with moving forward.

I have never seen people so attached to such useless technology before.
Ah, yes. The "Progressive" mantra. "Forward." Unfortunately, "forward" is backward. The technology is not "useless;" but, the replacement may be. Shouldn't a bulb last more than a few days? I have had some burn out in two days!. That isn't an indication of "improved" technology.

Speaking of "obsolete" technology, are you aware that many musicians have returned to using "obsolete" tube type amplifiers? They are being made again, because the sound produced is unmatched by solid state amplifiers. I know this, because my son-in-law builds them for musicians, as well as effects pedals for guitars, and there is a huge demand.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the new LEDs are pretty good, and pretty bright...different color though....its the $20+ a pop that's a killer right now
I'm rather resistant to shelling out $80 to perform an experiment to see if they put out enough light for the room. Seriously, where is the savings when the bulbs cost $20/bulb? I have not seen my electric bill drop a dime since switching over. I did most of the switches at the same time because I got the free energy saving kit from DTE and it came with lots of CFL's and my bills stayed the same. Obviously, lighting is not a big part of my electric bill. I'm guessing it's the blower on the furnace, the freezer, the refrigerator, and all the little blue lights around the house that stay lit 24 x 7 on all the appliances and cable boxes. If I wasn't so cash strapped, I'd look into putting a smaller blower on the furnace that I can run all the time because I run the furnace less if I keep the air circulating (in the winter the heat ends up on the 2nd floor and in the summer the basement gets too cold when the AC is on.).

Old 11-15-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Ah, yes. The "Progressive" mantra. "Forward." Unfortunately, "forward" is backward. The technology is not "useless;" but, the replacement may be. Shouldn't a bulb last more than a few days? I have had some burn out in two days!. That isn't an indication of "improved" technology.

Speaking of "obsolete" technology, are you aware that many musicians have returned to using "obsolete" tube type amplifiers? They are being made again, because the sound produced is unmatched by solid state amplifiers. I know this, because my son-in-law builds them for musicians, as well as effects pedals for guitars, and there is a huge demand.
I don't know how many of these new expensive bulbs I've tossed in the last 3 years. I know I've spent hundreds of dollars on them and they just don't last. I learned quickly I can't even put them in some of my fixtures because they last only minutes. Even in the fixtures that should be able to take them they do not last. I'm lucky to get 9 months out of a CFL. The LED's last but the light is dim and a funny color.

I'm not seeing the improvement here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies