Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 03:31 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If incandescent bulbs are so important to you, then just make your own. For the rest of us, it is an obsolete technology and we are okay with moving forward.

I have never seen people so attached to such useless technology before.
His point is, cfl's and led's do not emit enough light to do the job and cfl's take time to warm up, especially as they get older or it is cold outside, when you are using them for security, you need bright and instant. Halogens would be best, which are a form of incandescent, they still have their uses and should never be banned altogether.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:31 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
The light from cfl's, not so bad, light from led's is horrid, it has a bluish tint to it I cannot get used to. I like cfl's for lights I need to leave on 24/7, they last a long time.
Check a good lighting stores. There are certainly LEDs without the blue component. I find cool white fluorescents and even halogens much bluer than the warm LED color.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I found this especially for you....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuGcylpjmXI
I believe that video to be misinformation, when he lights up the 50w led, he still has the spotlight on the ground lit and is claiming the light on the garage is from the 50w led. You would never get a 50w led to light to be that bright. It is a sales gimmick.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
The eye roll meant that I thought your statement for 24 hour sunlight was ridiculous, much like this need to keep incandescent light bulbs around to appease a small group of people afraid of change.
No one said change is bad, I expect vast improvement with change before a product is marketed, I don't see it here and I think you've been duped. Read my previous post about the video you produced. He turns the spotlight on the ground on the same time he turns the 50w led on for the last time.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't have been banned if there wasn't a better form of gasoline, the analogy stands.
Actually, leaded gas is better, it was banned because the lead was bad for peoples health and I get that, but the gasoline today is not much better for you, ever hear of benzene, google it.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Thanks for helping make my point, 24k dial up went away without any law required.
Yes, because the change was much better and worked, I just don't see it with bulb technology.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that is called obsolete technology, we found how to make unleaded fuel and got rid of leaded fuel. Incandescent bulbs have been made obsolete and the world will survive without them.
You and many others were fooled buy big oil, they said it would cost more to produce unleaded gas, well lead is an additive, it does not occur naturally when gas is produced and it is cheaper to produce unleaded, but the price went up anyway.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racional View Post
I am waiting for him to say that he wants to force Amish people to drive cars because horses and buggies are "inferior" and "obsolete".
He doesn't get it, he is a progressive liberal who thinks he knows what's best for everyone, regardless of what they want.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
But you claim incandescent light bulbs were only banned because they were obsolete. So why aren't we out there banning everything that is obsolete. Bicycles, candles, horseback riding - I could go on and on. See, that doesn't make sense, does it and neither does your argument that incandescent light bulbs were banned due to obsolescence.
They were banned because they use more energy than the alternatives, which is ridiculous because lighting only accounts for 2% of the electric bill for the average home. Wait 10 years or so and see if it makes that big of a difference in our total energy usage over all. If you really want to make a difference, go after the real energy hogs.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:23 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
They were banned because they use more energy than the alternatives, which is ridiculous because lighting only accounts for 2% of the electric bill for the average home. Wait 10 years or so and see if it makes that big of a difference in our total energy usage over all. If you really want to make a difference, go after the real energy hogs.
That was the excuse and it was a poor one. They were actually banned because GE (and a few others) invested a lot of money and marketing into a more expensive light bulb that no one bought. They used the US government to create the market for them instead of just competing fairly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies