Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 04:55 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why wasn't this a big deal for you in 2007 when you could have been telling your Congressmen not to support this?
Are you blind, it was explained to you, people did try to fight it, but it fell on deaf ears as usual and money ruled that day.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racional View Post
You are the one supporting the law. That means that you are in favor or limiting free choice and encroaching on liberty. I have asked you why several times and all you do is say that it was passed by Congress and signed into law.

I have seen your posts and think that I may have an idea how you might vote.

Since you apparently think that any bill passed by Congress and signed by the president is fine and dandy, would you then support a law that repealed the Affordable care Act?
He will never explain that part, he was raised to believe the gubberment will make all of his decisions for him and he will like it.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:02 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Here is some great info on the joke of a ban.....

Five Myths About the Federal Incandescent Light Bulb Ban
Not very good. First off five is the classical straw man argument used often on the right. Nobody I know every suggested that jobs flowed out of the light bulb change. It was buying another type of bulb from China. I don't see why anyone in the USA would care.

The are cheaper for most service in all in life costs. And that is the vast majority of the use.

They don't come in fixed colors but can be widely varied. So you can tailor the color of a LED where you want it.

Lupus? Seizures? They are fluorescent for goodness sake. Been in wide usage since the 30s. And CFLs can be tailored to be very close to flicker free if one wishes. LEDs are mostly glass and have less metal to cause problems than regular incandescent. So that is probably an advantage to LEDs.

All in all a hatchet job by someone who does not understand the area.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It goes to the core of the issues we have where people in Washington think they know what is good for all of us. As another and related example there is a new mandate coming up that water heaters larger than 50 gallons be powered by heat pumps, they use air from inside the house and in a colder climate will actually use more energy. After the sticker shock most people will probably just buy two regular ones if they need that kind of capacity.... End result in either case is more expense and more energy usage.
Absolutely, heat pumps aren't much good below 40 degrees and are mostly used in the south, don't see them much here in Pa.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:07 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Are you blind, it was explained to you, people did try to fight it, but it fell on deaf ears as usual and money ruled that day.
Well I guess you will just have to get use to better light quality. That has to really suck for the incandescent crowd.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I wasn't alive or was too young during that, I wouldn't be surprised if people complained as much about losing leaded gasoline as they have with incandescent light bulbs.
Cars back then were not designed to run on unleaded gas, it padded the valves and kept them from being destroyed, many engines were ruined.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:11 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,491 times
I still use 150W light bulbs I order from the internet. They produce more light (more lumens) compared to all comparable models meant to replace them that I've seen in stores or online, and don't make annoying hum noises and don't contain mercury (which can be fatal).

I don't have ceiling lights in my apartment, so they do make a difference.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:14 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Cars back then were not designed to run on unleaded gas, it padded the valves and kept them from being destroyed, many engines were ruined.
And yet here we are today with the world functioning just fine without leaded gasoline. How did you survive the government taking away thag choice?

Old 11-17-2014, 05:18 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
I believe that video to be misinformation, when he lights up the 50w led, he still has the spotlight on the ground lit and is claiming the light on the garage is from the 50w led. You would never get a 50w led to light to be that bright. It is a sales gimmick.
Tell me then, why are auto makers, owners and truckers switching to LEDs?

Check this out.... http://betterautomotivelighting.file...comparison.jpg

Old 11-17-2014, 05:21 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You must not be very old or you would remember that people cried just as much about doing away with leaded gas...

Do YOU remember the switch over? They did not simply stop making unleaded fuel. If they had done so, they would have left people who could not afford to replace their cars in a bind and would have rendered the cars they owned worthless over night. They phased in unleaded gasoline as more cars came on the market that could run on unleaded and continued to sell leaded gasoline. I, honestly, don't remember there being any crying over the switch over except from the racing crowd as they didn't have a replacement fuel yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies