Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 06:02 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Not on cars, I have seen these new led's on cars and they are circuit boards with a series of little led's half of them burned out, when do you replace them, when the last one burns out? People will be reluctant to replace since they are expensive. I'll take the incandescent, when it's on it's on, and when burned out you replace it, and they're cheap, a couple bucks for 2. My car is 7yrs old and I have replaced both tail lights once and one head light.
Assemblies with permnent light sources are common particularly in more expensive vehicles. Easy to find $100 plus incandescent fixtures.

In general a LED array will easily last the life of the car. Individual LEDs do not fail for practical purposes. If you see a LED array with every other LED out it is almost certainly a circuit failure. They happen on any type of circuit but are actually very rare.

There is no way incandescent lighting makes any sense in an automobile and it will all be cycled out. Nothing to do with standards. Bulbs make no sense in automotive use.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:48 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You save money in the long run by investing in the beginning. The lifespan of a LED bulb is about 13-25 years depending on the bulb, and an incandescent has a lifespan of a year. You would need to spend the money on 13-25 bulbs for the price of one LED bulb.
And I was told that CFLs would last damn near forever, yet I found myself replacing them with surprising regularity (and tossing old ones in the trash). Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Quote:
Not on cars, I have seen these new led's on cars and they are circuit boards with a series of little led's half of them burned out, when do you replace them, when the last one burns out? People will be reluctant to replace since they are expensive. I'll take the incandescent, when it's on it's on, and when burned out you replace it, and they're cheap, a couple bucks for 2. My car is 7yrs old and I have replaced both tail lights once and one head light.
My wife's Lexus needed a headlight assembly replaced after an encounter with a mailbox post. $1200.

I shudder to think what my MB headlight assembly would cost - the super-white LED type with the light that tracks vehicle direction in turns.

My Chevy lights generally cost a few bucks at most.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
And I was told that CFLs would last damn near forever, yet I found myself replacing them with surprising regularity (and tossing old ones in the trash). Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

My wife's Lexus needed a headlight assembly replaced after an encounter with a mailbox post. $1200.

I shudder to think what my MB headlight assembly would cost - the super-white LED type with the light that tracks vehicle direction in turns.

If you are happry with Chevy why are you buying MB and Lexus?

The cost of a head light assembly on a Lexus or an MB has nothing to do with the light source.

It is called separating people from their excess funds.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:17 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Assemblies with permnent light sources are common particularly in more expensive vehicles. Easy to find $100 plus incandescent fixtures.

In general a LED array will easily last the life of the car. Individual LEDs do not fail for practical purposes. If you see a LED array with every other LED out it is almost certainly a circuit failure. They happen on any type of circuit but are actually very rare.

There is no way incandescent lighting makes any sense in an automobile and it will all be cycled out. Nothing to do with standards. Bulbs make no sense in automotive use.
Says you and other useful tools of those pushing for one technology over another. What happens is companies go out of business and people lose jobs. That doesn't matter to he left - as long as the agenda is pushed further along.

Tools get tossed when no longer useful.

Remember that.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I have to agree the new energy saving unless expensive LED just are not as advertised in output. They also do not in my experience last longer.But a friend who helped clear a WWII ship ou oft moth ball for sale to Japanese scrape buyers. Surprisingly it had what must have a thousand 120 volt light bulbs in various wattage that had to be disposed of some years ago. Still using them; altho I tried the new ones as stated. First thing I did when I bought a 60's house years ago was change the florescent lighting; I hated it. never tried the LED has they are expensive and LED flashlight bulbs did work well as the elements burnt out pretty quickly.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Car light? This thread isn't about car lights, so try to stay on topic.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post

Who told you CFLs will last forever? They put the life expectancy on the box.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Says you and other useful tools of those pushing for one technology over another. What happens is companies go out of business and people lose jobs. That doesn't matter to he left - as long as the agenda is pushed further along.

Tools get tossed when no longer useful.

Remember that.
I don't care. It is not a religious issue with me. Bulbs have filaments which are rather fragile things. Particularly when hot. You would never use such a device if you have a workble alternative. Now the car guys do. The actual cost is now competitive. And without a big cost advantage no engineer would ever you a device with a filament.

This is simple stuff. You don't use easily damaged fragile mechanisms with substantial g loads. It would be dumb. You put up with it only because there is no cost competitive alternative. That is no longer the case.

So bulbs are gone in cars. Period. The question remaining is how long is the tail before the last bulb is designed in. I suspect we are past that point and no new designs will have a bulb.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:16 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Car light? This thread isn't about car lights, so try to stay on topic.
I didn't bring it up.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:45 AM

Quote:
I didn't bring it up.
Neither did I, and your post was a comment on my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies