Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2014, 08:37 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
My point is subjecting every shot fired by a cop to intense scrutiny is not a bad thing at all. It prevents the next Louima cop from getting away with it.

I'd prefer a special 1st degree murder charge for cops on duty who kill anyone where investigations conclude there were alternatives. With the same penalties as the standard 1st degree murder.
As long as they have the same charges for doctors that make mistakes leading to death, and engineers, and highway workers, truckers, drivers that use cell phones, drunk drivers and pretty much anybody else that makes bad choices and kills someone.

Ooooh and any farmer or processing worker involved in an e-coli outbreak.

Oh....what is it you do for a living?

Old 11-26-2014, 08:38 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Two black celebrities are solving the whole problem. Boycott Black Friday. They're asking all black people to not shop all this weekend.

Saying that will send an economic message.

I don't have a clue what that will solve.

Calls to boycott Black Friday in protest of Ferguson spread
Funny, given how many blacks work in the retail sector that would be impacted by this.

I doubt it would send any economic message except in a few select areas. People in Ferguson can boycott, they already looted their black Friday deals.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Two black celebrities are solving the whole problem. Boycott Black Friday. They're asking all black people to not shop all this weekend.

Saying that will send an economic message.

I don't have a clue what that will solve.

Calls to boycott Black Friday in protest of Ferguson spread
10 to 1 there will still be a stampede with injured at Wallymart tomorrow night !!!!

Old 11-26-2014, 08:45 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Funny, given how many blacks work in the retail sector that would be impacted by this.

I doubt it would send any economic message except in a few select areas. People in Ferguson can boycott, they already looted their black Friday deals.
Oh snap.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:52 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
I don't discount it, it's a terrible thing she lost her son of course..but it doesn't mean she's a great or even good person. She had people beat up including her son's grandma (her former mother in law)

Also I don't agree with cameras being put in her face like that during that moment.

His parents have chosen to become public figures and their actions will be judged by the public.

Her son unfortunately chose to become a criminal..although perhaps a small time criminal a criminal nonetheless ,and this should be a message that with crime comes risk.

Of course it wasn't just the stealing of the cigars which led to his being killed but his attacking a police officer.

I understand her being upset, but she should also realize that her son took actions which led to his death.
Of course it's very hard for her to realize this, but I think these protestors that didn't know him should realize this.

The problem is the lack of personal responsibility in this country.

It's interesting as I was typing this I came across this article mentioning that the famous performer Pharrell agrees that Michael Brown's behavior played a part in him being killed and calling him a "bully"

Many are outraged at Pharrell’s suggestion that Michael Brown was a bully on the day he died. However, others say the larger picture is about parental responsibility and the perceptions teens and young adults create that ups their chances of a confrontation with police.
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1637396/pha...7vd83wZeZU3.99

Old 11-26-2014, 08:57 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
You might wish to ask Abner Louima's family, pghquest.

Every time a cop overreaches (be it Louima, the Central Park jogger case, etc), they rightfully make every good cop's job 50x as hard. I'm far more concerned about bad cops than bad neighborhoods. I've lived in some, and by just being careful was never bothered. But bad rogue cops undermine law and order more than criminals themselves do.
Earth to Bob: 244 black youths have been killed in Chicago alone since Mike Brown died. The fact you're more concerned with rogue cops is laughable at best.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:03 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Dear god, just saw interview with Trayvon's mom...

"Well nobody knows what happened except for officer wilson and Brown so of course he's going to lie to protect himself" was the gist of her comment.

Um, there were tons of witnesses. That's why Wilson isn't on trial.

Seriously?
Not only that but something people seem to skip over is that Officer Wilson gave his full account right after the shooting, before the forensic evidence was even processed. His version of events have not changed and the forensic evidence, once processed, backed up his version. So no, if he were lying, the evidence would not support his version. I am so tired of the lack of critical thinking by people who still refuse to actually look at the evidence.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:09 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There have been plenty of indictments for far less and many in the legal profession critical of the DA's softball approach. No he didn't have to testify.

Also he sounded much to sure of himself in the interview yesterday when asked if he would have done anything different in retrospect, I understand that he doesn't want to question his own testimony but surely he has second thoughts.
Wilson showed he had no remorse, no regrets, no sadness, no conscience, no compassion, no understanding of the depth of this tragedy, no sympathy for the parents, no understanding of racism and over-policing of black men, and seemed rehearsed and dumb as hell.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:12 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
You might wish to ask Abner Louima's family, pghquest.

Every time a cop overreaches (be it Louima, the Central Park jogger case, etc), they rightfully make every good cop's job 50x as hard. I'm far more concerned about bad cops than bad neighborhoods. I've lived in some, and by just being careful was never bothered. But bad rogue cops undermine law and order more than criminals themselves do.
There was just a young black man, age 19, being interviewed on CNN; they are re-running the special "Black and Blue."

He is no criminal, a college sophomore. He lives in Bedford-Styuvescent (sp) and he said he has been stopped over 100 times on the street by police, when he has been walking back and forth to school, slammed against walls and car hoods, not allowed to move his hands to get his college I.D. out, cursed at and called names by police. He is a law-abiding citizen and has endured this type of harassment since age 12. What does this say about America? It says it stinks.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:15 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Not only that but something people seem to skip over is that Officer Wilson gave his full account right after the shooting, before the forensic evidence was even processed. His version of events have not changed and the forensic evidence, once processed, backed up his version. So no, if he were lying, the evidence would not support his version. I am so tired of the lack of critical thinking by people who still refuse to actually look at the evidence.
I'm looking forward to seeing the non-partisan accounts, you know, the people the NAACP was giving witness protection to from the Brown supporters.

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing the formal testimony of Browns friend, under oath....because his initial statements were already disproven by the autopsy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies