Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 09:59 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,932,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
If you have a gun, and your victim does not, I don't care what you say, it's not an equal fight. The guy with the gun, his life is not in danger.
It's not supposed to be an equal fight. The police officer is given the right and responsibility to carry a firearm for the specific purpose of making it an unfair fight. The firearm is expected to be a superior weapon to what most will have out in the street. It's supposed to dissuade people from attacking police officers or others when they are nearby. In this case, it appears the attacker chose not to be dissuaded. A poor choice, in retrospect. And the police officer used his weapon to protect himself and others. Thing is, most people understand that IN ADVANCE, and don't attack police officers. If Mr. Brown had observed that bit of rather common sense, he might have been arrested for robbery, but he'd likely have not been shot.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:00 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,229,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post
Better theirs than someone else's. The real news will be if and when such mass violence becomes portable, and what other demographic segments would be prepared to do about it.
Yep. I'm glad I don't live in a big city anywhere near this nonsense.

17,441 posts, read 9,259,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
I-44 protesters now marching down S. Grand to new location. This is in the city of St. Louis.
This is the separate group targeting the Shaw area where Myers was killed ..... after he fired 3 shots at a Police Officer. Crowds in Downtown also

Ferguson is burning - shots fired.
That town is GONE.

"Protests" now in full swing in other cities - New York, Philly, La
It was all well planned, I hope the Police were ready for it.

518 posts, read 763,525 times
For those who want to follow tweets/news links/scanner reports live thread here: [live] Live Feed for riot and protest in Ferguson, MO. Scanner reports, news links

Police/government behavior (let's try to keep it more balanced, eh?
Riot-style formation to block access/secure certain high security risk sites (Ferguson PD, highways)
Smoke cannister deploymetn at initial reaction to vandalism and projectiles being thrown at police
Tear gas deployment with continued effort to disperse crowds
No reports of police confronting looting sites
No reports of police using any projectiles (rubber bullets, etc.)
National Guard is being deployed to assist in security effort
Shutting down certain roadways and certain blocks in Ferguson
No Fly zone declared over Ferguson

Fire department behavior:
Tried to put out fires
Retreating from certain areas due to multiple gun fire being heard

Shootings:
Gun fire heard at initial crowd gathering near Ferguson PD
Gun fire now just heard and fired at police near W. Florissant
More guns shots heard near W. Florissant

Lootings:
Cell phone store looted
Family dollar looted
Walgreens looted
Aaron's looted
US bank broken into
Grocery/meat market broken into
McDonald's windows broken
Beauty World shop broken into
Autozone looted
Toys R Us looted
Reports of group of people moving towards Wal Mart
Public Storage broken into
Optical shop broken into, possibly looted
NOTE: No reports of book stores or libraries being looted or broken into as of this posting time.

Vandalism behavior
Restaurant windows broken into, Fire department window broken
I-10 and I-44 freeway traffic being blocked by protestors
Battreries/projectiles being thrown at police
Police vehicles x2 set on fire
Trash can set on fire
Little Ceasar's Pizza shop set on fire
Walgreens set on fire
"I love Ferguson" store on fire
Sam's meat market set on fire
Public Storage set on fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit
Elderly man with oxygen tank was carjacked and run over, witnesses said. expected to recover. Taken to hospital.
Optical shop broken window with dumpster
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3Qw6g4CEAAP8TL.jpg:large

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-24-2014 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: hotlinking/copyright

7,540 posts, read 11,568,330 times
Trash can tossed though window of Ferguson optical shop.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3Qw6g4CEAAP8TL.jpg

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-24-2014 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: hotlinking/copyright

Old 11-24-2014, 10:01 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You are the one ignoring reality - because it doesn't fit YOUR stereotypical views and you are embarrassed and appalled at what you are seeing tonight..

Statistically there's no comparison on sheer number of crimes committed in relation to their share of the population. Black neighborhoods are dangerous places to be. 50% of black males will be arrested before the age of 23.

Don't try to skew the reality.

But what does all that have to do with the black people in Ferguson who are home getting ready for work tomorrow? What you are seeing on TV is what we call BLACK TRASH

Old 11-24-2014, 10:01 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post
As long as the other party is unarmed and he is able to keep control of his gun. Frankly, you seem to lack relevant practical experience in making this kind of statement.
The teen was at least 10 to 15 feet away from the cop when he was shot to death. He wasn't a threat to that cop's life. The cop was peeing his pants and became hysterical. On CNN they just read some of the actual testimony from Wilson to the grand jury, in which he said that Brown "was so big. And I felt so small."

Old 11-24-2014, 10:02 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
I think it is rather interesting that people are blaming the media for this situation. The government and police in Ferguson mishandled this entire mess from beginning to end. They gave no explanation at all for weeks following the killing. Nothing. The incredibly unimpressive governor was basically useless. Then he calls in the National Guard to prepare for riots that he assumed would come, since they all assumed Wilson would get off without any charges at all. Ever hear of a self-fullfilling prophecy?

I think the government and police pretty much invited people to react this way. Then the prosecutor allows tension to build and build and waits until 9 pm to give a ridiculously bizarre and arrogant speech tonight blaming all media--social and otherwise--for the whole mess. He went on to whine and ramble about how the jury sacrificed their lives and made generally inflammatory comments that did nothing but incite people. Totally idiotic decisions were made as to how to handle this and much of it could have been avoided had the prosecutor and governor not been so inept.

JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,889,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You are the one ignoring reality - because it doesn't fit YOUR stereotypical views and you are embarrassed and appalled at what you are seeing tonight..

Statistically there's no comparison on sheer number of crimes committed in relation to their share of the population. Black neighborhoods are dangerous places to be. 50% of black males will be arrested before the age of 23.

Don't try to skew the reality.
That's the problem. I'm NOT "skewing" anything. I didn't even refute the stats. I actually refuse to watch because that's what the media wants.

I'm saying that I'm disgusted by the number of people who act as if blacks are the only ones committing crimes. But you're the one who refuses to see that because it's just better to see blacks as animals and criminals.

3,063 posts, read 3,270,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
But it's the black people in Ferguson, what does that have to do with blacks in other states who are bed getting ready for work??????
I'm trying to understand that too... I'm in bed after a long day of work and class, I've barely followed this case. I guess since I'm black, I should accept that it's my nature to be violent, to be a criminal, to riot like an animal. That is after-all black culture, and it is there for everyone to see on live tv... I guess I just need to accept that I somehow got the memo late and this is now a part of black culture. Most black people act like the group of blacks rioting in Ferguson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.